Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

old ground or new ground

13»

Comments

• Options
    Flanagan jumping on the fence at Boothferry Park
  • Options
    No sure what your criterea is for choosing a new ground over an old, but looking at your list I would generally go for the old ground more than 50% of the time, mainly due to the location and or parking. Most new grounds that I have been to (Brighton, Colchester, Middleborough,Coventry, Leicester, Man City, Southanpton & Sunderland) are all "out of towners" or "park & ride" and are a nitemare to get & out of. Colchester being the obvious one. It was easy to park near Layer rd and usually only a 5min walk to the ground. Their new stadium, even having less than 10,000 fans in it , takes ages to get out of and is miles from the station, pubs etc. - M'boro is the same -anyone going next week expect a long walk to the middle of nowhere. I agree that the new stadiums look better, have better facilities and better viewing - I just wish the most weren't built 5 mins out of town with just one access rd in & out.
    The King Power is less than 300 yards from where Filbert Street stood.
    Used to love an away day at Filbert Street. 
    The fans were very welcoming.
    Free bottle of piss on one visit i remember...
    And the gratitude donations received right on kick off. It rained coins as the players came. Even the chicken wire they'd installed at the top of the segregation fencing didn't prevent them getting through. Had to laugh at a few Charlton holding up their wallets doing a Harry Enfield.

https://makeagif.com/i/mJLiD1
  • Options
    @CharltonMadrid

Have Valencia abandoned their stadium move indefinitely? Walked past the new stadium about 5 years ago and it seemed to quite a long way into the building process to just decide not to bother. 

Don't really understand what's happened to Valencia. Loaded owner, but he seems to run them in a similar fashion to the way that Mike Ashley runs Newcastle.

Don't think I've visited a new stadium that I favoured over its predecessor, although Spurs have done a very good job of their new ground and the original WHL didn't have an abundance of character, so maybe that one's the exception.

Loved Highbury, but also the Manor Ground and Layer Road. With the latter two, the new stadiums that they've been replaced with represent everything I dislike about modern football stadia. Arse end of nowhere, zero atmosphere, pre-match pint in TGI Fridays. Yuk.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Was in Valencia over the summer and was talking about their on hold new ground to a taxi driver who is a Valancia fan. He said it's indefinitely on hold as there is no funding for it, and he was in pretty much despair over the general state of the club. 
  • Options
    I had my second visit to the new Bolton ground last Saturday and revise my original preference for Burnden Park. 

I think it is one of the better new builds,but as said earlier in the debate my mind is influenced by many factors.

As much as the location of Burnden was much more authentic. The UniBol had a decent view and atmosphere.
  • Options
    One major plus point with the new grounds post Taylor Report in London, is that they are nearly all in the same parts of town as their predecessors, rather than moving out of town to the outskirts. This has meant they still keep their ties to their local community.

I imagine the green belt has helped prevent the likes of Spurs or Arsenal building car dominated new grounds out by the M25 back in the 90s when such stadium moves were popular. Instead, that's where their training grounds are. And since then, public transport access has become an essential to get planning permission.

This has made it really hard to find new locations though, QPR for example have struggled to find a suitable site.

Wembley and Spurs - same locations
    Millwall, Arsenal, Brentford, Wimbledon - same area of town (albeit with a gap in the case of Wimbledon).
    West Ham - the Olympic stadium is still in their area

Barnet are one of the few league/ex league clubs to have left their home area, which has definitely cost them support.
  • Options
    one advantage of a newish stadium like (e.g.) Bolton's (especially in an area where land might be cheapish to buy) is the potential, to lay down large car parks which bring in a nice revenue stream and could also be used for weekly markets and the like
  • Options
    anyone on here on the Futbology app?