Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Applauding opposition goals/play

A couple of recent postings reminded me to post on this, and then there was RVP's goal v Villa tonight. Basically, whenever I watch MOTD/FLE and someone scores a blinder in front of the oppo fans, I always look to see if they applaud or not. For example, after Lowton's belter for Villa against Stoke, hardly any Stoke fans applauded (at least, those in camera shot admittedly), while after Karl Henry's 45-yard effort on Saturday there was a generous ripple from the home stands. When I first started going to games with my Dad he would clap even the crappest goals by the opposition, so I've always applauded brilliant goals even if they're against us - though I draw the line at standing up to do it. The best I can remember that I've witnessed at the Valley in recent times were Van Persie for Arsenal and Patrik Berger for Portsmouth against Deano, though I've probably forgotten a couple.

Would be interested to know whether we're applauders or swearers, and also who's scored the best goal against us at the Valley?

Comments

• Options
    Wordsworth scored a screamer last season I seem to recall that was clapped by a few I think...
  • Options
    I clapped the attempt from distance that nearly caught Hamer out on Saturday.

Best goal against us - all I can think of is RVP for Ar*enal when he should've been sent off. Didn't applaud that coz I was livid with him at the time.
  • Options
    may have clapped charlie austin's if it wasn't so clearly going to be the winner
  • Options
    I clapped Henry's effort but im not sure i would of if it had gone in.
  • Options
    Same as above, wouldn't have felt the urge to clap had it gone in. Would have certainly been impressed of course!!!!

Thought the clapping of Kevin Phillips was a bit too lovey dovey.
  • Options
    I think I clapped wordsworth's goal - does that make me "not proper Charlton"?
  • Options
    I clapped van persies, more out of shock than anything else. I was angry at him previous to the goal and remain so now but even when the enemy do something like that I respect it, grudgingly, and the bar is set at that one
  • Options
    Never mind Van Persie scoing with his shin, the only opposition goal I can remember clapping was an Ian Marshall volley against us in the 90s. For Ipswich I think....

Other than Kevin Phillips a few weeks ago, the only other opposition player I can remember getting a clap (other than ex Charlton players) was Gazza when he took a corner in front of the covered end.
  • Options

I remember applauding a sublime goal scored from a short corner by Brighton in their promotion season in League 1. Dailly and the Doc looking bewildered as about five short passes and a dummy or two preceeded a simple tap in on the far post.

Very good football sometimes transcends the bitter disappointment of being outclassed and humiliated by a vastly superior opponent.
  • Options
    I think it used to be more common than it is now.

I particularly remember Ronnie Rosenthal's hat-trick at Selhurst where I would say most Charlton fans applauded the third.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think it used to be more common than it is now.

I particularly remember Ronnie Rosenthal's hat-trick at Selhurst where I would say most Charlton fans applauded the third.

This
  • Options
    I clapped Patrick Berger's goal against us for Pompey , worldy.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I remember Leicester fans giving good applause for Bartlett's goal.
    I've clapped a few opposition goals in my time. If it's something special then why not?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Best goal against us - all I can think of is RVP for Ar*enal when he should've been sent off.

He shinned it - not a bad goal for a mis kick though.

I often acknowledge good play from the oppo. I thought the clapping of KP was a nice touch and typical Charlton. We've always wanted him to play for us and he's had a fantastic career.

• Options
    Giggs got applause from me for the strike from the halfway line where Solskjaer put in the rebound.
  • Options
    I wont be applauding any opposition play anytime soon i just dont think its right maybe a player coming off for example a ex charlton player that left in good faith for example if chris solly left in a couple of years because we didnt go any higher up then id clap him on and off
  • Options
    SHoare93 said:

Wordsworth scored a screamer last season I seem to recall that was clapped by a few I think...

I reluctantly clapped. In the north upper. Superb strike.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with appreciating good football within reason.

It's not life and death.

and no it isn't more important than that.
  • Options
    Done it several times, naturally gutted when we concede but appreciate great goals. Di canio was clapped off when subbed in the 4 4 game against west ham.
  • Options
    Can't remember clapping opponents goals, although i'm sure i have, but i have to admit, when watching us at Forest this season, i was both shocked and distressed at how easily they took us apart. I was actually stood there thinking, 'well you just have to admire how good this team is and if this is Championship level football, we're f***ed!' For me they have been the stand out team and they played in a way that would have been very pleasurable to watch as a neutral, but at the time, my League Champions bubble was well and truely burst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish I could say I do, but I don't, I just get the hump for a minute or two.
  • Options
    D'Alessandro's goal for pompey in 06 was clapped i think.
  • Options
    Van Persie's goal against us got a little ripple from me.

Who cares if it ended up coming off his shin - it was incredible. Most people can't get their leg that high anyway. At the time I sent a message to a Gooner mate of mine which said "I just saw the best goal I've ever witnessed". It was phenomenal
  • Options
    Michael Owen got applauded when subbed in recognition of his performances for the national side.
  • Options
    i have no problem appreciating good football from the opposition
  • Options
    I clapped Berger's goal. Now that was a cracking goal. Also clapped Mendonca off the pitch after a freezing midweek evening game against Grimsby where he destroyed us (i think he got a hat trick - and if memory serves, we were unbeaten at home at the time)
  • Options
    Remember clapping a goal by a Stoke player in the Worthington Cup years back, think they beat us 4-3 in extra time or something along those lines. Real thronker into top corner past Sasa.
  • Options

D'Alessandro's goal for pompey in 06 was clapped i think.

Amazing goal.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No problem whatsoever clapping an exceptional goal or performance. Can remember both Zola and Owen getting applause from four sides after giving us a footballing lesson and was good to see Giggs getting the credit he deserved in that goal.

On the other hand I cringed when many in the Covered End clapped Beckham (several times ) when he did nothing more than jog over to launch a corner into Deanos hands. There's a difference between recognising top quality play and being a bit starstruck....
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Van Persie's goal against us got a little ripple from me.

Who cares if it ended up coming off his shin - it was incredible. Most people can't get their leg that high anyway. At the time I sent a message to a Gooner mate of mine which said "I just saw the best goal I've ever witnessed". It was phenomenal

Also, I would have clapped this goal if RVP hadn't swiped Hasselbaink's legs right in front of the benches in the first-half. It was a straight red card if memory serves me correctly.