Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Applauding opposition goals/play

Comments

• Options
    Stayed behind to clap Brighton after they destroyed us 4-0 at the valley.
  • Options
    Dec 2000 Man U at the Valley 3-3, either their second or third when Giggs volleyed against the bar from inside his own half and (cant spell) Solkskar put in the rebound sticks in the memory - but personally I have and will never applaud anything done by the opposition. The whole issue is a matter of personal choice, and I'm not sure it matters which camp you fall into. However, I did find it curious last week at Cardiff that after having to listen to anti-English chants and similar to The Den had to put up with little kids giving us V signs that some Charlton fans applauded them after the final whistle whilst they were all on the pitch - that was good sportsmanship going a little bit too far !
  • Options
    I've clapped a few at The Valley. Why not? I go to watch football so stands to reason I should be appreciative of something spectacular.
  • Options
    clapped a Colchester goal during a pre-season friendly at Layer road. Tap in from a corner... it was more the shock of being so close to the action (mind you, never the feel the need to clap the opposition at Chelmsford city)
  • Options
    Only time I'd clap an opposition goal was if we were 6-0 up with 30 seconds to go and they scored, and even then it'd have to be better than Bartlett and Jensen's put together.
  • Options
    Best goal against us though I'd say D'Alessandro for Pompey
  • Options
    HandG said:

Never mind Van Persie scoing with his shin, the only opposition goal I can remember clapping was an Ian Marshall volley against us in the 90s. For Ipswich I think....

Other than Kevin Phillips a few weeks ago, the only other opposition player I can remember getting a clap (other than ex Charlton players) was Gazza when he took a corner in front of the covered end.

Same happened to Beckham...and that was after the 98 WC.
  • Options

I think it used to be more common than it is now.

I particularly remember Ronnie Rosenthal's hat-trick at Selhurst where I would say most Charlton fans applauded the third.

The third goal from Rosenthal was absolute class, wonderful combination with Barnes on the break a floated cross and a bullet header

Admitedly we were shite but was a privilege to watch.
  • Options
    Crispy said:

Remember clapping a goal by a Stoke player in the Worthington Cup years back, think they beat us 4-3 in extra time or something along those lines. Real thronker into top corner past Sasa.

Yes that was the one I was trying to remember. And, as above, Charlie Austin for Burnley this season are the only two that I can remember actually applauding.
  • Options

I think it used to be more common than it is now.

I particularly remember Ronnie Rosenthal's hat-trick at Selhurst where I would say most Charlton fans applauded the third.

The third goal from Rosenthal was absolute class, wonderful combination with Barnes on the break a floated cross and a bullet header

Admitedly we were shite but was a privilege to watch.
    Yes, I remember people glaring at me when I clapped that one, even my young son! I explained to him that you don't often see a hat-trick comprising left and right foot shots and a quality header: it was top class (but bloody awful marking!).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, end of the 07-08(?) Championship season where we played Blackpool and beat them 4-1, I clapped Ben Burgess' equaliser. End of the season, nothing game, which probably helped. But it was an insane strike - 30 yard first time volley.
  • Options
    I clapped Henry's strike on Saturday.Cant imagine many other teams fans doing that - another thing that makes us as a club very special.
  • Options
    There was a 30 yarder that Stoke scored in a second leg league cup game when we were in the prem and they were in League one which was applauded by most of the ground.

Phillips deserved his applause this season, he'll get booed next season!
  • Options
    Patrick Berger vs us, i was only a wee man back then so didn't clap but still to this day best goal I remember seeing live. I would say RvP but i had a hatred for arsenal back then, so they could of scored an overhead kick from half way line i wouldnt of been impressed.
  • Options

There was a 30 yarder that Stoke scored in a second leg league cup game when we were in the prem and they were in League one which was applauded by most of the ground.

blockquote>

not sure if this is the one I was thinking of, it was a Carling Cup game when we were in the Prem, but I thought it came against a lesser side than Stoke - I think it was 2-2 or 3-3 and the bloke scored a screamer at the Jimmy Seed end.

• Options
    I was surprised to hear the ref get a warm ripple of applause when he called that Wolves player up for diving on Saturday and booked him. I couldn't clap Henry's shot because I was too busy moaning about one of our players, (Jackson I think) being blocked off from closing him down in the least subtle way imaginable. Would have been furious if that had gone in
  • Options

Only time I'd clap an opposition goal was if we were 6-0 up with 30 seconds to go and they scored, and even then it'd have to be better than Bartlett and Jensen's put together.

I think that's a little bit sad tbh. It is supposed to be entertaining after all and if someone has done something exceptional, like the examples above, there's no shame in appreciating it.

As a neutral it amuses and saddens me in equal measures to see geezers behind the goal doing their pieces after RVP, Bale, Rooney, etc has scored an absolute pearler. Sometimes you just have to doff your cap and hope your team can pull one back.
  • Options
    I remember going to see West Ham play Dynamo Tblisi some years ago in a UEFA Cup game. Dynamo Tblisi were amazing on the night a won 4-1 (or maybe 4-0). Many of the crowd clapped the visitors off the pitch.
  • Options

Giggs got applause from me for the strike from the halfway line where Solskjaer put in the rebound.

That was just unreal.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrzsHctBxE

I think I was to stunned by this to clap, great goal though. I remember the fact that the game was awful for about 70 mins until he did that and didn't Bent score 2 to win the game for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ...Portsmouth eh. Whatever happened to them...

Decent goal though.
  • Options

I think I was to stunned by this to clap, great goal though. I remember the fact that the game was awful for about 70 mins until he did that and didn't Bent score 2 to win the game for us?

Good defending Powell!
  • Options

I think Hughes got one, Bent got the other.

That was our last win under Curbs.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I clapped on Saturday - I don't clap opponents often, but I am a football fan as well as a Charlton fan. Clapped Thierry Henry's free kick goal against us and the shot from the half way line which hit the bar from Giggs. Can't remember too many other occasions.
  • Options
    Rather than watching Bayern Munich v Barcelona yesterday I plumped for the far more attractive proposition of Tonbridge Angels v Eastbourne Boro - at that level the banter is brilliant and the stick dished out to opposition goalkeepers unbelievable but the Eastbourne keeper pulled off a point blank save that was absolutely world class. The only response was to applaud. (Btw Angels got a draw to secure their Conference South status).
  • Options
    edited April 2013

not sure if this is the one I was thinking of, it was a Carling Cup game when we were in the Prem, but I thought it came against a lesser side than Stoke - I think it was 2-2 or 3-3 and the bloke scored a screamer at the Jimmy Seed end.

It was that end and the score sounds about right. I think the first leg was 0-0 so they went through on away goals after extra time. They had to do an announcement that the game would have extra time as a lot of fans were leaving believing that we had all ready been beaten. Thank god they stopped the games being played over two legs, what a joke that was.
  • Options

It was that end and the score sounds about right. I think the first leg was 0-0 so they went through on away goals after extra time. They had to do an announcement that the game would have extra time as a lot of fans were leaving believing that we had all ready been beaten. Thank god they stopped the games being played over two legs, what a joke that was.
    We won that game 4-3, but went out on away goals having lost the game at their place 2-1 (5-5 on aggregate).

Old school BBC match reports here:
    news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/worthington_cup/932538.stm
    news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/worthington_cup/941779.stm
  • Options
    When Mortimer scored his stunner at Everton there supporters clapped his wonder goal
  • Options
    Never clapped an opposition goal, just couldn't do it. Not to say I haven't done it in my head or stroked my chin and gone 'mmmmm'.
  • Options

I think that's a little bit sad tbh. It is supposed to be entertaining after all and if someone has done something exceptional, like the examples above, there's no shame in appreciating it.

As a neutral it amuses and saddens me in equal measures to see geezers behind the goal doing their pieces after RVP, Bale, Rooney, etc has scored an absolute pearler. Sometimes you just have to doff your cap and hope your team can pull one back.
    When I'm watching Charlton it's heart over head all day for me so seeing my team that I've supported all my life conceding a goal whether it be a tap in or 35 yard volley from one of the worlds best doesn't make a difference. Couldn't bring myself to applaud it, good for you if you do that, but not me.