Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CP 100% support

Comments

• Options
    We go over the same old ground every week.

Some questions.

Why did Slater and Jimenez buy the club. I believe that Jimenez thought he was clever enough to make money running the club with someone else bankrolling it. The backer seems to have walked away and Jimenez might have discovered that he is not as clever as he thought he was.

Was it for the betterment of CAFC or the betterment of MS and TJ. Obviously that latter. I don't think you can, genuinely, expect anyone to drop millions into the football club unless there is something in it for them!

I think I know the answers to both questions and on the basis I am correct I have no respect or liking for either of them. Until they depart the very club itself is at a huge risk.

I don't have any reason to like them, but I suspect that if they'd not come if when they did we would have suffered a worse fate than we have. We wil never know but Richard Murray did say that we were dangerously close to administration and since then we've had a record breaking season in the third division, and we've finished 9th in the Championship.
  • Options

We go over the same old ground every week.

Some questions.

Why did Slater and Jimenez buy the club. I believe that Jimenez thought he was clever enough to make money running the club with someone else bankrolling it. The backer seems to have walked away and Jimenez might have discovered that he is not as clever as he thought he was.

Was it for the betterment of CAFC or the betterment of MS and TJ. Obviously that latter. I don't think you can, genuinely, expect anyone to drop millions into the football club unless there is something in it for them!

I think I know the answers to both questions and on the basis I am correct I have no respect or liking for either of them. Until they depart the very club itself is at a huge risk.

I don't have any reason to like them, but I suspect that if they'd not come if when they did we would have suffered a worse fate than we have. We wil never know but Richard Murray did say that we were dangerously close to administration and since then we've had a record breaking season in the third division, and we've finished 9th in the Championship.

And currently sit perilously close to the bottom three with a manager who has no meaningful relationship with his Chairman or owner. Has no support to strengthen a team which even I can see is a bare bones one. A group of players demoralised and demotivated by lack of contract negotiations and broken promises. A manager who has just seven months on his own contract and certain knowledge that his employers want out. But hey things could be worse.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Back in the days of Michael Glicksten, in the age of no internet or football fanzines, nobody, outside of the board, had a clue about the finances of the club. We just knew that we were not a rich club and that occasionally we would have to sell one of our best players to keep going. But the loyal 5/6 thousand keep going week in week out, enjoying the occasional good win and feeling miserable when we lost. But most of the time our full attention was on getting 100% behind the team. The Chairman, board, or club finances were out of bounds in the thinking of the majority of fans. We were ecstatic if we managed to sign two new players in the close season, rather than one. These days we are mortified if we haven't revamped the squad every close season, or if we get wind of the fact that a few players are getting to the end of their contracts and haven't been offered new one's. I'm not saying the old days were better, but perhaps we would all benefit if we stopped worrying so much about things that we have very little, or no, influence over, and instead concentrate on something that we can, like cheering the team on.

I understand that point of view, and I certainly agree that thanks to CL, I spend more of my waking time thinking about CAFC than is healthy.

The other side of the argument is, simply, Selhurst 1985 and all that came after it.

And BTW 100% support from me, and this coming week I'll be there to deliver it in person.

• Options

Back in the days of Michael Glicksten, in the age of no internet or football fanzines, nobody, outside of the board, had a clue about the finances of the club. We just knew that we were not a rich club and that occasionally we would have to sell one of our best players to keep going. But the loyal 5/6 thousand keep going week in week out, enjoying the occasional good win and feeling miserable when we lost. But most of the time our full attention was on getting 100% behind the team. The Chairman, board, or club finances were out of bounds in the thinking of the majority of fans. We were ecstatic if we managed to sign two new players in the close season, rather than one. These days we are mortified if we haven't revamped the squad every close season, or if we get wind of the fact that a few players are getting to the end of their contracts and haven't been offered new one's. I'm not saying the old days were better, but perhaps we would all benefit if we stopped worrying so much about things that we have very little, or no, influence over, and instead concentrate on something that we can, like cheering the team on.

Good post Queensland.

And I think we can add to this that in the past you'd only have those immediately around you at games and your immediate mates on which to gauge things and form an opinion - or put up with.

Now everyones a fucking expert and thinks they have the divine right to post, rant and shout whatever bollocks enters their heads and that everyone has to listen. Forums, phone ins, tweets, facebook, etc, etc. All of those just go to prove how fucking clueless and stupid most peoplke are.

Apart from me, of course.
  • Options
    Spot on Off it and Queensland. You would know who you were playing next, and wait till Thursday for any Charlton news in the Kentish Independent or the Mercury plus the SLP on a Tuesday and Friday.

These days with the net and sky it's 24/7.
  • Options

I understand that point of view, and I certainly agree that thanks to CL, I spend more of my waking time thinking about CAFC than is healthy.

The other side of the argument is, simply, Selhurst 1985 and all that came after it.

And BTW 100% support from me, and this coming week I'll be there to deliver it in person.

Yes Praque, I can see that side of the argument as well. But do you honestly think, we as fans, could have prevented the move to Selhurst had we known about the intentions of Sunley/Friar earlier? I don't think, aside from the odd protest, we could have done anything. And having prior knowledge would have just made things even more frustrating for us. I think at the time we were just grateful that we were still in existence. The same problem existed back then, in that none of us fans had the finances to save the club and we were ultimately reliant upon outsiders to come to the rescue.
  • Options
    Support Chris 100%, he loves our club and is a diamond in the making. No investment, etc have caused problems for him - back him to the hilt.
  • Options
    It's a league of haves and have nots. Powell is a special manager and will be for me at the top of the prem managing one day. He's still learning and I feel sorry for him because we've got one poor squad. The football is so crap which I blame Powell. However not enough for him to be sacked. 100% support. I hope the board just let him go and get Obika because only hope we will stay up.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Yes Praque, I can see that side of the argument as well. But do you honestly think, we as fans, could have prevented the move to Selhurst had we known about the intentions of Sunley/Friar earlier? I don't think, aside from the odd protest, we could have done anything. And having prior knowledge would have just made things even more frustrating for us. I think at the time we were just grateful that we were still in existence. The same problem existed back then, in that none of us fans had the finances to save the club and we were ultimately reliant upon outsiders to come to the rescue.
    Actually I think it would have made all the difference in 1985, because there never was a financial - or any other kind of - case for moving to Selhurst Park and I think a proper debate would have exposed that. It's always worth remembering that The Valley in 1992 was more or less the same as it was when the club left in terms of spectator accommodation. All the pre-1993 investment accomplished was to put it back the way it had been when we were told it was impossible to continue, which was never true.
  • Options

Actually I think it would have made all the difference in 1985, because there never was a financial - or any other kind of - case for moving to Selhurst Park and I think a proper debate would have exposed that. It's always worth remembering that The Valley in 1992 was more or less the same as it was when the club left in terms of spectator accommodation. All the pre-1993 investment accomplished was to put it back the way it had been when we were told it was impossible to continue, which was never true.
    So Airman, in your opinion, what was the motive, if not financial? Wasn't the fact that we were unable to use the East terrace a big issue? As I recall we were able to use at least some of the East terrace on our return in 92.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    queensland - the club was paying rent to the old club owners, gates were rubbish and the Valley owners had no intention of fixing up the ground. The board decided that to them it made more sense to ditch the Valley lease and invest in the playing squad to secure promotion... the next step was going to be a full merger with Palace.

The irony is that once they made the announcement (at the Palace game) word went around and suddenly 10,000 showed up for the final game - a 50% increase on the normal gate.
    So the motive was to save on the Valley lease but th ereality is that they lacked the imagination and business acumen to create a successful business around staying at the Valley and improving the gates - the state of the ground was an excuse - I don't know the full dispute but the fact that the Valley capacity was down due to safety concerns could have been rectified by ensuring that the landlord executed the necessary works.

At that time Football was not the cash machine it is now and many contemplated mergers - Thames Valley Royals anyone?!
  • Options
    the TEAM and manager have my 100% support when the team is on the field .. off field, I have the right to make comments which may be critical of the team. Like many on here I spend time and money following CAFC. I have the right to be critical of CP if I feel he deserves criticism
  • Options

So Airman, in your opinion, what was the motive, if not financial? Wasn't the fact that we were unable to use the East terrace a big issue? As I recall we were able to use at least some of the East terrace on our return in 92.

Pretty sure the East stand didn't open until a few years after we were back.

• Options
    The east stand had a walkway along it ,I think , to get fans to the jimmy south stand
  • Options

queensland - the club was paying rent to the old club owners, gates were rubbish and the Valley owners had no intention of fixing up the ground. The board decided that to them it made more sense to ditch the Valley lease and invest in the playing squad to secure promotion... the next step was going to be a full merger with Palace.

The irony is that once they made the announcement (at the Palace game) word went around and suddenly 10,000 showed up for the final game - a 50% increase on the normal gate.
    So the motive was to save on the Valley lease but th ereality is that they lacked the imagination and business acumen to create a successful business around staying at the Valley and improving the gates - the state of the ground was an excuse - I don't know the full dispute but the fact that the Valley capacity was down due to safety concerns could have been rectified by ensuring that the landlord executed the necessary works.

At that time Football was not the cash machine it is now and many contemplated mergers - Thames Valley Royals anyone?!

Thanks for jogging the memory. Yes I recall there was some excuse involving a major sewer running under the East terrace which made it uneconomical to renovate. But ultimately it boiled down to finances as most things do, saving on the lease, investing in the squad, going for promotion ie making money. Perhaps we could have applied more pressure to the board had we had prior knowledge, but I don't recall there being too many takers willing to bail us out in 84 and the last thing we'd have wanted to do was force the Sunley Group to pull their investment.
  • Options

Thanks for jogging the memory. Yes I recall there was some excuse involving a major sewer running under the East terrace which made it uneconomical to renovate. But ultimately it boiled down to finances as most things do, saving on the lease, investing in the squad, going for promotion ie making money. Perhaps we could have applied more pressure to the board had we had prior knowledge, but I don't recall there being too many takers willing to bail us out in 84 and the last thing we'd have wanted to do was force the Sunley Group to pull their investment.
    Worth remembering that Noades was actively pushing the merger too. In fact he claimed to have initiated the concept. I've got a Sunday Times magazine where he's on the cover, giving it the biggun about his vision being the only way forward for smaller clubs. He wanted to roll Millwall in too.

• Options
    WSS said:

Pretty sure the East stand didn't open until a few years after we were back.

The east stand opened in April 1994 with a 4-3 win over Southend United

• Options
    The Nottingham forest game this tuesday is the equivalent of the cardiff game last season.It could be the turning point.if we give SCP the vocal supoport we gave that night and was sadly lacking against Smallwall last weekend
  • Options
    I intend to give my support whatever the result on Tuesday, however abject we are.
  • Options

Brian Moore (& the tv gantry) I think.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    tough month for our Chrissy, really gonna need our support
  • Options
    People always like to bring in revolutionary ideas and stadium sharing always looked like a goo done on paper. The problem is of course - the tribal aspect of football doesn't lend itself to this and it shouldn't have been rocket science to see that at th etime.

As for CP - I think he has made some errors this year and last - but I think that goes with the territory and he has my 100% support. He hasdone a good job assembling the squad he has under the circumstances. If you had to identify who our best 2 players are, most would probably say Yann and Solly, so injuries to them is probably more than a squad like ours can cope with.

There is fight and pride in this squad and whatever th eresult - I expect to see some of that tomorrow.
  • Options
    could be multi code rather than multi team with a different surface?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Not really the thread for this, but the nub of the issue was a stand-off between Sunley and Michael Gliksten, who had been offered by the club in 1984 two acres of land behind the west stand which the club first said it didn't want and then claimed was essential for car parking, combined with the closure of the east terrace on safety grounds.

Neither of these practical issues was resolved when the club returned - with a lower capacity than it had left - in 1992. The club just worked around them, as it could have in 1985.

In the club's defence the grants landscape changed a bit between 1985 and 1992, allowing the east stand to be built in 1993-4, but it's important to understand that John Fryer tried to buy half of Selhurst Park through a joint venture company Selhurst Valley Limited, which according to Lennie Lawrence only failed because of a ransom strip they couldn't get. In other words, he had other motives.

On the other side of the equation, Gliksten wouldn't sell The Valley to Fryer because he was suspicious of Sunley. I suspect it was as much that he wanted a cut if they developed the land as loyalty to CAFC, but he had plenty of opportunity to develop parts of The Valley 1985-1989 and didn't take it.

Noades was a massive factor in why we moved to Selhurst and he wanted to roll three SE London clubs into one on his terms. Without his input we'd have stayed at The Valley, in my opinion. I don't know if there was much of a rent saving. But for CAFC the financial logic of moving was completely false because it would have had to be based on the claims we would get similar crowds at Selhurst, which was then tested by promotion without success.
  • Options
    The season got off to a bad start. We were all hoping to hear of new signings that would enable us to push on after the great end to last season. That didn't happen. Then we had news of more rumblings behind the scenes, court cases, contract disputes etc, etc. There was a negative vibe from the outset, which hasn't been helped by injuries. In reality, I don't believe the squad is much weaker than last season. Fuller, Haynes and Waggy were all good players, but none were regulars, and two were very injury prone. Church and Sordell should on paper be reasonable replacements. Cousins has been a big bonus and Piggot could yet prove to be a useful player this season. We also have Gower and Hughes who played very little last season. The squad is short on depth, but it wasn't much different last season as Fuller and Haynes were rarely fully fit. I think we are all using the lack of signings as too much of an excuse. We are simply not playing well, making too many mistakes and not being professional enough. I say that because I don't think our preparation was good enough, our fitness doesn't seem to be up to usual standards. We also had the issue at Watford where Yann was forced to hobble around on his injured ankle for about 10 minutes because the subs had not been warmed up. That's not good enough at this level. A lot of people need to stop feeling sorry for themselves, stop making excuses, and pull their fingers out, and I include some, not all of us, the fans. We should be doing much better than this.
  • Options
    100% not even a waver from our house.
  • Options

Wasn't that the day when Pardew got a couple, one in the last minute I think in front of the Covered End. He was a bit of a hero of mine after that game........not for long though.
  • Options

Wasn't that the day when Pardew got a couple, one in the last minute I think in front of the Covered End. He was a bit of a hero of mine after that game........not for long though.

Yes. Andy Ansah got a hat trick for Southend. Some Charlton fan!

• Options
    timken said:

The Nottingham forest game this tuesday is the equivalent of the cardiff game last season.It could be the turning point.if we give SCP the vocal supoport we gave that night and was sadly lacking against Smallwall last weekend

We thought then as now that SCP was in trouble and needed our support. Hairs on the back of my neck stood up when the response to going 1-0 down was louder singing. It gave the team belief then and it can again Tuesday night. Win or lose, we need to show our support for Chris and the team. We are used to adversity; it is time to roll up those sleeves once more and let the teams in this league know that we will not give up our place in it without a fight.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Whilst I support Powell 100%, I am looking for him to improve in certain areas and the support is for now- not unconditional forever! I think the points Queensland has made are good ones - we can't go on with Powell waiting to see if something will sort itself out in a game - we need him to react to things on the pitch quickly. And no gut reactions after a poor game - I was hoping for a 3-5-2 on Saturday because the challenge was so obviously going to be different - and I suspected if the formation was changed, that Powell might not understand the tactical reasons why we played so poorly against Millwall. So I do have concerns.