Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ever been in the doghouse for attending a Charlton match?

It was my daughters birthday last Thursday and my son arranged a surprise lunch for her in Bexleyheath last Saturday. Despite offering to take her out for a meal on the Thursday and Friday before and last Sunday she couldn't go as she already had other things on.

Bit of a dilemma, Charlton or the lunch? Ha no contest chose to see Charlton beat the Wolves.

Outcome:- Son and Daughter not talking to me!

Comments

• Options
    attending match ? no

staying for 'one drink' after..........
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cut short a holiday with a girlfriend and her family by a day to watch us at Palace when we won 1-0 and Toddy scored.

Was it worth it? No point in even answering that! Not with her anymore either which is a bonus lol
  • Options
    Many a time, wants to know why a 90 min football match takes 5,6,7,8 & 9 hours
  • Options

attending match ? no

staying for 'one drink' after..........

This on many occasions
    Once standing outside the H&G dinking while telling the Mrs was still in the ground, until i looked around and her and the kids are parked outside the pub waving at me doh

Millwall this season home and away

Home cost me a bunch of flowers Sunday morning, worst dog house i have ever been in.

Must learn not to stay OK just one more then im off
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Never on the way out

Always when I get home

• Options
    I suppose I don't help myself really.

Her boyfriend has just proposed to her and he's Millwall, she of course is now Millwall, just to spite me.

When talking about the wedding day I said make sure it's Millwall are at home and not Charlton. That went down like a lead balloon as well.

After knowing me for 30 years she still doesn't understand my passion for the club!
  • Options
    I've been in a situation with parents and girlfriends where I just make it clear to them that regardless of anything, I am going to Charlton home games, without fail, and will never flex from this position, and as a consequence they just know its tough and that's how its gonna be.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I've been in a situation with parents and girlfriends where I just make it clear to them that regardless of anything, I am going to Charlton home games, without fail, and will never flex from this position, and as a consequence they just know its tough and that's how its gonna be.

This.

My last girlfriend used to get moany about it a lot, but it was always a case of "I go Charlton every other week with my old man, that never changes. Like it or lump it I'm afraid".

I'm single now!
  • Options
    I came back from a weekend ski trip with a girlfriend some time ago. She was a bit surprised that I was in such a rush to get home. The trip hadn't gone as well as it could have and when she phoned me later and realised I was not at home but at The Valley, those words came out of her mouth....."we need to talk!"

Relationship finished that night!
  • Options
    Best thing that ever happened to me was when my 9-year-old son was 'Charltonized'. Before that it was untold grief every home game, let alone away games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Dutch Band in the Oak after the Oldham game (Sept 1996) had many people in the doghouse that night.
  • Options
    used to get grief but now take the kids and she thinks the free saturday afternoons are great!
  • Options
    You lot need to MTFU
  • Options

used to get grief but now take the kids and she thinks the free saturday afternoons are great!

This. I'm performing a valuable service by taking my nine-year-old to Charlton.

• Options
    I don't mention going to games unless I expressly have 'permission' - just kind of sneak in. Easier that way.

For the Wolves game, that day I had been sent to the dump cos spring had obviously arrived because the sun was out, and that meant we had to clean the house and throw stuff out - naturally. So that took 'over an hour what with everyone having the same idea', and with the trip to the car mechanic for some unspecified work, that covered me for the 4 and a bit hours necessary to get to the game and back. Luckily, watching FLE later she didn't make out my quite distinctive hoodie, of which there was a fleeting glimpse at the bottom of NW Quad, jumping about like a mad fool when Obika scored and the team celebrated in front of us.

Pathetic on my part, really.
  • Options
    The only time was when I didn't have a car and I told her we were going somewhere nice for a drive and a beer in her car and I would drive

Stopped in Woolwich to pick my brother up and then th 3 of us went port vale away

That didn't and still doesn't go down well
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

I suppose I don't help myself really.

Her boyfriend has just proposed to her and he's Millwall, she of course is now Millwall, just to spite me.

When talking about the wedding day I said make sure it's Millwall are at home and not Charlton. That went down like a lead balloon as well.

After knowing me for 30 years she still doesn't understand my passion for the club!

Essex Al. You have my sympathy mate. Bad enough your daughter marrying one of that lot but declaring she is now one of them......
  • Options
    Surely you can't get grief for going to a game? Coming home wrecked is different, but not going to watch it.
  • Options
    I went to Huddersfield away a few years back on the Saturday and didn't make it home till Monday lunchtime.....THAT was an interesting afternoon!
  • Options
    can't remember the game but it was a nothing one towards the end of the season. beer garden early, sun was out, got to quarter to 3, stayed on, missed game. got home about 7ish totally w***ered, she was due to go out and i was looking after our young 'un.

i swear there were real daggers in the air as i walked along the road towards our house. didn't talk for a good few days but well worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Surely you can't get grief for going to a game? Coming home wrecked is different, but not going to watch it.

Ahem!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes, we had a game on Mothering Sunday I wasn't seeing my mum (she was away) so my better half thought it would be nice to go out! I'm not sure which pissed her off most me pointing out that she wasn't my mum or me going to the game! Oh how we laughed!
    Never forgotten!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Yes, we had a game on Mothering Sunday I wasn't seeing my mum (she was away) so my better half thought it would be nice to go out! I'm not sure which pissed her off most me pointing out that she wasn't my mum or me going to the game! Oh how we laughed!
    Never forgotten!

That's classic hahha, this threads great. Pretty sure my dads got in trouble a couple of times for it himself.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    When my kids were little, I swear my missus used to engineer arguments between them just before I'd leave for Charlton just so they'd be shouting and crying as I walked out the door then she could say in a pointedly sarcastic voice, 'Enjoy the game!'

Thank God my youngest son has been 'Charltonized'.
  • Options
    Yep. Was seeing a girl, been a couple of months when she moved to Newcastle to go to uni. Her second weekend up there she expected me to go up and visit but we were away at Leicester (I think) and said I fancied that instead. After a few choice words and a few manipulative tears (from her) I said 'ok, I'll visit you'.
    Rang her the next night and dumped her. Went to Filbert Street, guilt free.
  • Options
    Don't blame you AuN. Too needy.
  • Options
    Exactly what I thought Curb-It. Scared me off if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Every situation is different, and I am sure I will get murdered on here for saying this, but putting 11 men you dont even know ahead of your own kids? Not me. My family would always come first (IF it ever came to that). I mean, I love my time at Charlton as much as a social occasion with mates as for the football. And my wife doesn't bat an eyelid. However, if it was my 4 year olds birthday or school sports day etc? No chance would I go - I would be a Dad which is my biggest responsibility in life. I love Charlton, but have they ever loved me back?
  • Options
    Met my now wife on 93 she said I was going Charlton before so never argues most home games
  • Options
    Every game seemingly.