Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ever been in the doghouse for attending a Charlton match?

124»

Comments

• Options
    rina said:

Remember sitting in the East years ago when across the tannoy came:

"message for Mr Bannister. Your wife has just given birth to a baby girl"

Always wonder if she ever let him come back after that.

there used to be messages like that or 'your wife has just gone into labour' quite often in the pre mobile phone days. fella would then get a cheer as he headed for the exit
    A guy I used to know used to ring West Ham every time they had a live televised game to get them to make that exact announcement.....it worked everytime without fail....you could almost set your watch by it!
  • Options
    edited April 2013

The Bannister relationship was on the slide anyway.
  • Options

I heard he was only the Step Father
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    DanDavis said:

I heard he was only the Step Father
    I wonder if he managed to get home in under 4 minutes.
  • Options
    A few times. The worst was when my sister gave birth to her first child on a Friday evening, there was no visiting that night, then I had Sheffield Wednesday all booked up for the Saturday.

In my defence, I did wet the baby's head on the Friday to celebrate. Then was sick between the Northern Line platforms at London Bridge in the morning. And all the way up to Yorkshire. That could lead me on to a turning-up-drunk story or two but I won't elaborate.
  • Options
    wife gets the hump with me because i won't take her football
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In 42 years of marriage I can't recall any dog house problems, in fact 'er indoors always seemed happy for me to take as long as I liked going to matches. Especially keen on me going to away games , I remember, and didn't mind me staying away overnight if they were long distance jobs like Plymouth or Carlisle. I think she enjoyed doing housework and stuff with me out of the way as she always seemed a bit tired and worn out when I got home. And had a smile on her face too, sometimes wondered why.
  • Options
    March51 said:

In 42 years of marriage I can't recall any dog house problems, in fact 'er indoors always seemed happy for me to take as long as I liked going to matches. Especially keen on me going to away games , I remember, and didn't mind me staying away overnight if they were long distance jobs like Plymouth or Carlisle. I think she enjoyed doing housework and stuff with me out of the way as she always seemed a bit tired and worn out when I got home.

Enjoyed the housework and let you go to football? Dont we all want his wife
  • Options

Usually in the doghouse for coming back from the match, not going- particularly if we lose.

For years poor Mrs G thought there was something profoundly dysfunctional with our relationship until she twigged that the moody, non-communicative and silent periods of our marriage tied in exactly with home defeats at the Valley.

• Options
    I have a friend who posts regularly on here who, even when his children were the same age as mine (very young), didn't get hassle for going to matches - although he gave a up aways for a while.

Whilst every orher half is different, changing times have also played a part. 20+ years ago most men in the house were mainly expected just to be the breadwinner and do a bit of DIY. Now most (and rightly so) have to be professional nappy changer, agony aunt, head chef, cleaner, childcare expert, events manager, shopper etc.... basically take equal responsibility in family life.

This however leaves little time for the bookies, pubs and football!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have a friend who posts regularly on here who, even when his children were the same age as mine (very young), didn't get hassle for going to matches - although he gave a up aways for a while.

Whilst every orher half is different, changing times have also played a part. 20+ years ago most men in the house were mainly expected just to be the breadwinner and do a bit of DIY. Now most (and rightly so) have to be professional nappy changer, agony aunt, head chef, cleaner, childcare expert, events manager, shopper etc.... basically take equal responsibility in family life.

This however leaves little time for the bookies, pubs and football!

It was no different 20 years ago. It just depends who wears the trousers :-)