Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson vs Bailey

Comments

• Options
    Bailey dived so much towards the end of his time with us too.
  • Options
    Jackson - Just. Bailey was a good player for us.
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson hands down!
    Bailey and his stray passes (most in evidence in our play off semi final loss when we turned an attack into a goal for Swindon), dodgey tackles and diving is not better than Jacko.
  • Options
    Jackson, who gets my vote for Player of the Year this time.
  • Options
    Bailey was never the same after Kelly Youga got injured!
  • Options
    Jackson. Bailey a 100mph, blood and thunder type of player, but Jackson much more thoughtful and just classier, imho. Having said that, liked Bailey when he was here.
  • Options
    Very possible he could return, wants to come back south and he know's he is not going to get anything close to the 15kpw he gets at borough! If he doesn't come here i expect it could be Millwall or Palace. I have heard one south London team has made contact with him.. so will have to wait and see who. I really hope it's not us thou as i don't want any of the players back from that period.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="SE10"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="francis4england">Bailey 89 league games 25 goals
    Jacko 108 league games 36 goals

Both very impressive goal tallys for midfielders but Jacko all day long for me. </blockquote>

How many of Jackson's games were at left back aswell?
    </blockquote>

Too many ! ;-) poor left back, lack of pace, slow turning & constantly "lost" the winger. Different proposition in midfield, lack of pace still obviously but has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time to score many important goals, great free kicks, leads the team, great left peg & gives everything in the name of Charlton Athletic & I know the left back comment was just to point out how well he has done to get so many goals so Jackson v Bailey ? both have done well for us overall but like everyone else Jacko everytime !
  • Options

Prefer Jackson if it was a choice but Bailey is now playing as a defensive midfielder and is two years younger.

I think he could be a good addition to the squad and team alongside Jackson.

Bailey was also voted player of the year albeit in a poor side.

A lot of the player who were written off as "useless" in the Pardew era have gone on to have decent careers in the Championship. Halford, Varney, Sinclair off the top of my head. Bailey is another.

Not sure people thought Bailey was useless? Best player in a poor side, I liked him, but also would go for Jackson.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="luke1">Very possible he could return, wants to come back south and he know's he is not going to get anything close to the 15kpw he gets at borough! If he doesn't come here i expect it could be Millwall or Palace. I have heard one south London team has made contact with him.. so will have to wait and see who. I really hope it's not us thou as i don't want any of the players back from that period.
    </blockquote>

EDIT: Powell didn't play with Bailey!

If, as Henry says, he has consistently been playing a more defensive role at Boro he might be a contender for the "Andy Hughes role" if Hughsie himself can't carry on at 35 plus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jackson, all day long.

I always thought Bailey was really overrated when he was with us. Not because of the penalty miss but because he consistently gave the ball away (that was a far worse crime in that game than his penalty miss). Had a few decent patches but had plenty of bad ones too.

• Options
    I liked Bailey, but Jackson's different gravy.
  • Options
    I prefer Jackson as a character - he's a great leader

but in terms of raw talent, Bailey for me
  • Options
    I opened this thread expecting T.C.E to be announcing illegal dog fighting......................
  • Options
    They are different sorts of players, Jackson plays it simple, whereas Bailey tended to take more risks with his passing, akin to Dale Stephens sometimes.

It's interesting how Jackson started on the left for us, before moving inside, whereas with Bailey, the reverse happened. Jackson is deemed too slow to play on the wing (despite his song) whereas Bailey was deemed too defensively suspect to play central midfield and get forward as well.
  • Options
    I began reading this thinking we were comparing MIKE Bailey, my favourite player when I started watching Charlton. I joined his fan club and continued receiving photos and letters after he moved to Wolves.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

I began reading this thinking we were comparing MIKE Bailey, my favourite player when I started watching Charlton. I joined his fan club and continued receiving photos and letters after he moved to Wolves.

With all due respect to him Nicky Bailey barely deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Bailey....
  • Options
    Bailey was awesome but Jackson is our man. Don't underestimate Bailey's care for our club though.
  • Options
    JJ for me. Just seems to be in the right place at the right time to score goals and that has come down to experience. I was going to put him down as Player of the season and changed my mind at the last minute and wished I had stuck to my original choice.
    Only seem to remember the negative side of Bailey which included giving the ball away due to some Hollywood pass he would try which would lead to a goal and he loved to roll around on the pitch after getting tackled and losing the ball. Yeah he scored a few goals but man was he infuriating.
  • Options
    Bailey was a good player for us, but Jackson wins easily.

Still if Bailey was to come back and wages were right he would be a good addition to our midfield for next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey........No joking, I named my dog Jacko after our great captain, although I think Bailey was a quality player for us.

PS Unfortunetly I wouldn't fancy Jacko's chances should that illegal dog fight happen with TCE's Bailey, he's a Jack Russell,
  • Options
    Jackson all day, Bailey.... well I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    Bailey was probably our best player at the time, but I have a gut feeling it wouldn't work if he came back.
    For me, Jackson is the most important player of the CP era so far. A very good player and absolutely integral to what we have achieved as a club over the past two seasons.
  • Options
    Jackson
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Bailey joined us as a club on the slide and he was as shining light in that side. JJ joined us when we had slid and has been a major part of our recovery - so whilst my thoughts on Bailey are entirely positive and he is an excellent player, JJ has to win this comparison.
  • Options
    Jackson can take a penalty...
  • Options
    Never really liked bailey tbh. Too much whinging.

Jackson is a class act.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He has missed his last 2
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

He has missed his last 2
    Wrong, hit the target but saved.

NASA are still looking for baileys.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

He has missed his last 2
    Wrong, hit the target but saved.

NASA are still looking for baileys.
    Wrong? Teletext would still save missed pen!