Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German Match Ticket Prices

Listening to the radio yesterday , Ronnie Irani was saying that it costs £15 - £20 to get in and see Bayern Munich , just wondered if anyone else had been to a footie match in Germany , and why there prices were so cheap for top league footie?

Are British fans getting shafted for match tickets?

Comments

• Options
    yes
  • Options
    Germany is just especially cheap. I saw 3 games last season and didn't pay more than 15 Euros. Am thinking of a trip to Hamburg via Bremen early next season.

It varies abroad. I was in Madrid at the weekend and the cheapest ticket at Getafe was 40E, and I had to pay 65E at Real. Italian tickets vary massively between 20E cheapest and 120E on the sides. Holland you're looking at 35E plus, France I can't speak for but I'd imagine it starts at 20-25E behind the goals. Away fans generally are not made to pay premium prices either.

So I'd say English fans are paying a lot more than Germany, but then so are the majority of countries in Western Europe.
  • Options
    Coulnt get a ticket when i as in Barcelona for El Classico - I wonder why!
  • Options
    Are British fans getting shafted for match tickets?

Yep, but it could be argued that no one forces you to go...

In Germany if you pre-buy a ticket you can often travel for free with it and most clubs limit the number of Season Tickets to around 80% of capacity allow fans who can't attend regularly for whatever reason to make some matches. Plus you can stand at most grounds and drink beer in sight of the pitch.

The Bundesliga is also Europe's only financially solvent league (at least among the major leagues) and regularly makes a collective profit (compare with the Premiership where the major clubs are up to their necks in debt - as are the major clubs in Spain and Italy). There was an article in the last Trust news written by Prague Addick if you want more detail, but in essence every Bundesliga club must apply for an annual license at the heart of which is the necessity to show that they have sufficient financial liquidity to survive the season. If the license isn't granted then they aren't allowed the play the following season. A tad draconian and it limits the number of German clubs that make it into the latter stages of the CL/Europa Cup as the best players gravitate towards Spain, Italy and England but it also means that no German club has ever gone into receivership (at least not since these rules were introduced).

• Options
    ...And they get to stand and drink beer.
  • Options
    Wish football was run like Germany in this country. Standing areas, fans own part of the club, cheap tickets. And they produce good international teams as well

Hope we can learn from them but I doubt it
  • Options

Wish football was run like Germany in this country. Standing areas, fans own part of the club, cheap tickets. And they produce good international teams as well

Hope we can learn from them but I doubt it

Why would the FA and the big clubs want to learn from them? They're making lots of money and that's all they care about. Fans keep attending games and paying for Sky sports then nothing's going to change.
    Can't remember exact figures but the German FA's income is a lot lot less than the English FA's, yet they manage to spend over £40M a year more on grass roots and youth set ups. Go figure.
  • Options
    So to sum up, sell the match tickets cheap, fill the ground and make a profit...
  • Options
    : Real Madrid's starting XI: £345m. Dortmund's starting XI: £29m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Amazing , would love a preseason friendly against either of those 2 teams.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Not sure about that. Dortmund used the Kagawa money from man u to buy Reus for a transfer fee of €17.1 million
  • Options
    Was hoping to go to the Allianz arena when we are in Munich for my stag at the beginning of Sept. Turns out its international week and Germany are paying Austria instead
  • Options
    I hate the Germans, they are a better version of us in every way.
  • Options
    Off to Dusseldorf in a couple of weeks to watch them play Nuremberg. The game sold out ages ago so we've paid a little over the odds, but face value €15.
  • Options

German women are also very fit.
  • Options
    MLS said:

Off to Dusseldorf in a couple of weeks to watch them play Nuremberg. The game sold out ages ago so we've paid a little over the odds, but face value €15.

Kickoffs may be synced by then but have a look at Dortmund, Schalke, Leverkusen, Koln, Kaiserslauten and Duisberg as well, all easily reachable. Might be a couple I'm forgetting.

There's not a great deal to do in Dusseldorf, at least a second division game should be doable too.

• Options
    There's not a great deal to do in Dusseldorf, at least a second division game should be doable too.

On the contrary - they have a good Altstadt with plenty of bars and restaurants.

I recommend "Zum Schiffen" (the little ship):
    http://www.brauerei-zum-schiffchen.de/zum-schiffchen-e.php

and/or Weissen Bären on Bolkerstrasse - expect deafening heavy metal and red bull shots.

• Options

I'd disagree with that.

Historically their Foreign Policy has been a bit dubious.

• Options
    edited April 2013

On the contrary - they have a good Altstadt with plenty of bars and restaurants.

True, the old town has a lot of bars but it's not the best city for tourist-y stuff and postcard scenery. Depends what you're after and if you're much of an explorer with a hangover. I did enjoy my time there.

Edit: Monchengladbach and Bochum I forgot. That area really is hotbed for football.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'd disagree with that.

To the extent that they no longer have one.. What if they'd been an island like us.. :)
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

True, the old town has a lot of bars but it's not the best city for tourist-y stuff and postcard scenery. Depends what you're after and if you're much of an explorer with a hangover. I did enjoy my time there.

Edit: Monchengladbach and Bochum I forgot. That area really is hotbed for football.

Thanks for the advice re bars etc.

Probably didn't make myself clear, we've got tickets for Dusseldorf v Nuremberg but had to get them on seatwave (and pay about £35) as club had no more.
  • Options
    We are going to dortmund on the 18th and bochum on the 19th to watch the onion (union berlin).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    MLS said:

RedPanda said:

Probably didn't make myself clear, we've got tickets for Dusseldorf v Nuremberg but had to get them on seatwave (and pay about £35) as club had no more.
    Aye I got that. Just had a look and that's the Saturday, then Koln are at home to Hertha Berlin on the Sunday. That's 4th v 1st so top atmosphere guaranteed, apparently a really nice town and just over 20 miles away. I'd be looking at doubling up :)

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'd disagree with that.

Concentration camps... World domination... We did it earlier and better than them. I love their beer but our food is far better, as is our sense of humour. Swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

MLS said:

RedPanda said:

Aye I got that. Just had a look and that's the Saturday, then Koln are at home to Hertha Berlin on the Sunday. That's 4th v 1st so top atmosphere guaranteed, apparently a really nice town and just over 20 miles away. I'd be looking at doubling up :)

Ah I see, apologies.

Doing Holland v Kent (cricket) on the Friday so that's our double!! Might have to make it a triple!
  • Options

Agreed.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'd disagree with that.

So the same as us then!
  • Options
    My Forest mate in Prague reposted this from their forum:

"A season ticket on the sudtribune at Dortmund which includes all home league games and 3 Champions League group games costs 225 euros which is about £190ish. I'm going to renew my season ticket at Forest tomorrow for £370.

And they wonder why the game is dying on its arse in this country…"

Meanwhile I was hoping to go with my Frankfurt mate to Mainz on Sunday for the derby, but he gave up when he found that it is completely sold out, and €10 standing tickets are going for €70!! We will watch it on a bIg screen in Frankfurt, and we won't be alone, apparently.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Germany is just especially cheap. I saw 3 games last season and didn't pay more than 15 Euros. Am thinking of a trip to Hamburg via Bremen early next season.

It varies abroad. I was in Madrid at the weekend and the cheapest ticket at Getafe was 40E, and I had to pay 65E at Real. Italian tickets vary massively between 20E cheapest and 120E on the sides. Holland you're looking at 35E plus, France I can't speak for but I'd imagine it starts at 20-25E behind the goals. Away fans generally are not made to pay premium prices either.

So I'd say English fans are paying a lot more than Germany, but then so are the majority of countries in Western Europe.

Have you been to those countries you mentioned? How did you go about getting tickets as most of the ticket websites sell them for extortionate amounts to the British public? And i cant seem to find tickets online on the clubs websites? ive tried to go to german and spanish games before but always been put off by the £100 odd quoted on ticket websites and the lack of knowledge as to where to get the so called 'good deals' that everyone talks about such as your 15 euros in Germany. Would be grateful for any help you guys could give me for getting tickets for foreign games....