Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesbrough v Charlton Ath | Sat 27th April 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

After a 2-1 home victory over Wolves last weekend, Chris Powell’s Charlton side can finally say goodbye to any relegation fears as it is now mathematically impossible for the Addicks to be relegated to League One. However what is still mathematically possible is a play-off place although the Reds will need to firstly win the last two remaining fixtures to stand any chance of that spot.

The first of those remaining fixtures is this Saturday’s away tie at Middlesbrough who themselves were targeting promotion at the start of the season and looked set to be real contenders halfway through the season, but a terrible start to 2013 has damped any chance of promotion this season. Hopefully the Addicks can increase more misery to Boro with a victory this weekend.

The Opposition

Tony Mowbray’s Middlesbrough have endured a terrible run of form in 2013, which has gradually moved them further away from the top-half of the Championship and into the bottom half. Infact Boro have only won three league games since the start of the new year, a run which has increased pressure on Tony Mowbray despite his legendary status at the club.

In their last fixture, Boro lost 2-1 away at promotion-chasing Bolton and due to Jonathan Woodgate’s red card; he will be suspended for this weekend’s tie against the Addicks.

Despite their recent form, Middlesbrough mustn't be taken lightly especially as they have a number of quality individuals who could cause Charlton problems this weekend including the likes of on-loan stars Josh McEachran and Sammy Ameobi. There may also be a recall for ex-Addickmidfielder Nicky Bailey who is likely to leave the club at the end of the season when his contract expires.

The Line -Up

After coming off the bench and playing a key part again, on-loan Spurs striker Jonathan Obika may be selected ahead of Ricardo Fuller who departed for Obika during last Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Wolves.

Due to both Johnnie Jackson and Andy Hughes being substituted last weekend because of injury, Chris Powell may be tempted to rest the duo and bring in the likes of Dale Stephens or Mark Gower to showcase what the pair can do for the Addicks.

Powell may also be tempted to add some other youngsters within the side; however after a busy week of U21 and Kent Cup fixtures, he may save them until the final game against Bristol City next month.

Danny Green will also be pushing for a starting spot after a decent cameo last weekend while the likes of Hamer, Solly, Kermorgant, Dervite, Wiggins, Morrison and Harriott are likely to keep their places within the starting eleven.

The Prediction

Another rampant Addicks performance 3-0 away win.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to see what Obika can do if he gets a start and depending on what CP wants to do with Fuller it might be worth giving him this and the Brizzle City match to see whether he's worth signing on a full time basis or season loan.
  • Options
    I can't help but think the return of Andy Hughes has transformed the way we have been playing. Because of this I think it's essential he plays. But will he be fit? With him and Jacko in the team I think we'll win, otherwise I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    We should definitely start Obika up front with Kermorgant; he has definitely earned it after effectively winning us 4 points with his two stoppage time goals. Would like to see Jackson and Hughes both playing, so hopefully they will be fit for Saturday.

I'm holding out for a ground-out 1-0 victory for the Addicks...our defensive away record has been superb recently (0 conceded I believe).

We will have to keep it tight, and try not to get too overrun, but that seems to be what we are good at on the road this year, so here's hoping for another 3 points and keeping our season going until the last game on May 5th!

COYA !!!
  • Options

Only a gibbering cretin would even try to call this one...

4-0 away win (Obika hat-trick)

Drag Hughes on by his ankles with drip attached if necessary. Just his twitching little corpse on the pitch at kick-off will guarantee the three points.

• Options
    The last away match of the season and I can see an addicks victory its 2-1 score-line for me. Hughes has to play in my opinion, so hopefully he is fit and the same applies to our talisman JJ. Obika to start instead of Fuller is a good call, lets see how he does playing off Yann. I'll be hoping for 3 points and other results going our way, which would then take it down the the last game of the season with a play-off place being fought for in what I guess will be a full-house Valley. I'll be trying to follow via phone and radio............and keeping everything crossed, but whatever the outcome of Saturdays games....its been one hell of a season and CP must be very proud. COYR's
  • Options
    Hate Boro, scum town, scum supporters - hoping for another 6-0 demolition but will settle for 3-0. COYR's
  • Options
    My unerring predictive powers are pointing me in one direction only, a 0-7 record win for the Addicks!
  • Options
    No Woodgate (suspended) or Friend (injured) for Boro.
  • Options
    We will win the next 2 but results will not go our way in other games.

2-1 addicks
  • Options

No Woodgate (suspended) or Friend (injured) for Boro.

Feck me could be double figures!!!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't usually read the match preview threads but since I have been we haven't lost. Who said football fans were superstitious?

Obika and Green will be pushing hard for starts to replace Fuller and Pritchard respectively, although I'll have no complaints if Powell decides to stick with the same starting eleven that has seen us go on this unbeaten run.

It took a last minute winner last week but don't underestimate the losses of Jackson and Hughes on that one. If either of them are not fit we could see Prithcard or Gower in the middle and a possible start for Green.

We rarely do well up there and I think the last time we won this fixture was with a Chris Perry training ground routine from a corner.

Hoping for a win to keep our faint playoff hopes alive but I'll take a 0-0 draw and then celebrate a fantastic first season back in the Championship. COYR!
  • Options
    We were lethal that day, 0-3 and (I think) Rommedahl looked world class.
  • Options
    Hopefully we can continue onwards and upwards, so I'll go for a 2-1 away victory.
  • Options
    I am not confident for this. Here are my reasons.

I left to go on Holiday to Singapore and Australia on March 28th. Shortly after the Millwall loss. When I was away we have won 4 and drawn 2, including a 6-0 thumping of Barnsley. Now I am back to ruin it all : (
  • Options
    1-2 to the Red & White Army
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Dizzle said:

I left to go on Holiday to Singapore and Australia on March 28th. Shortly after the Millwall loss. When I was away we have won 4 and drawn 2, including a 6-0 thumping of Barnsley. Now I am back to ruin it all : (

Pissoff out the country then for the day :)
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Dizzle said:

Pissoff out the country then for the day a couple of weeks:)
  • Options
    I wish I could, that holiday cost me an arm and a leg. I am open to donations to send me on holiday until the end of the season!
  • Options
    0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lose 6-1
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    A stroll in the park 2 - 0

Can I say that?
  • Options
    9-4
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    A narrow win (1-0 or 2-1), definitely worth playing Gower and Obika from the start to see what they can do.
  • Options

We were lethal that day, 0-3 and (I think) Rommedahl looked world class.

A rare occasion indeed!
  • Options
    2-0 to them
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

I wish I could, that holiday cost me an arm and a leg. I am open to donations to send me on holiday until the end of the season!

I can send you an arm or a leg if that helps........found an old manakin in my garage....when they arrive you can pxxx off again.....Happy days!! ;-)
  • Options
    Gibbering cretin here, 4-0 to the addicks !