Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whitstable

Taking the family to Whitstable on Sunday and would appreciate advice on where to visit, eat, drink, park, etc.
Anything that will make for a good day.
Thanks in advance lifers.

Comments

• Options
    What are you after? Beach, day in the pub, what type of good? Live there so will be able to point you in the right direction!
  • Options
    If you want to get away from chain food, Samphire is pretty decent for lunch with an original menu.

4 High St, Town Centre, Whitstable CT5 1BQ
  • Options
    park at the top of Oxford Street on the way in if you want to walk into town, or up towards Tankerton, through the town, turn right and stay near the sea, it is free. Otherwise plenty of car parks if you drive through town including a local charity one near the harbour. There is a very good wetherspoons in the town if you are on a tight budget, the Peter Cushing, may be busy, though just about everywhere there is. If you want a mid range option try Pearsons or the Duke of Cumberland near the beach, or for expensive there is the Whitstable Oyster company. if you want to park near tankerton, you can eat in the Royal, with sea views and reasonable prices. If you get the chance (ie no kids) try the Tankerton Arms in the high st, a micro pub with a good selection of local ales. Nice(ish) coastal town, a bit too twee (and therefore expensive) town, London prices really. Good fish and chips in numerous places.

If you prefer sandy beaches, travel on another 20 miles to Westgate, you could stop at the roman fort in Reculver, very nice place, but less facilities.

Apart from that I know nothing.
  • Options
    Stone said:

If you want to get away from chain food, Samphire is pretty decent for lunch with an original menu.

High Street with the least chains in the country so avoid Wetherspoons and you'll basically be avoiding chain food!

Agreed Samphire is nice, good breakfast too.
  • Options
    Without knowing what you're after:

- The Ship Centurian is an excellent family pub, German owner (current landlord's Dad) so German beers, currywurst, schnitzel but plenty of ales too.

- Krishna is amazing for Indian, decor is basic but the food is awesome.

- Shangri-La is a nice Thai.

- Quayside or The Savoy will show football.

- The walk to Reculver is nice.

- The Duke of Cumberland has bands Fridays and Sundays and does a good Sunday lunch.

- There's good fish places in and around the Harbour, at Crab and Winkle or Wheelers Oyster Bar.

- Any kids then there's zoos at Howletts or Wingham. And there's good ice creams at Sundae Sundae on Harbour Street or at a couple of 'shacks' on the front.

That's it off the top of my head!
  • Options
    whitstable has many great restauarants and pubs. it will be very difficult not to find a nice place to have a bite to eat and a drink. duke of cumberland is v good and pearsons is my favourite (they have tables on the beach, which is great on nice days).

as NLN said above the walk to Reculver is lovely and the pub their is fantastic.
  • Options

Stone said:

High Street with the least chains in the country so avoid Wetherspoons and you'll basically be avoiding chain food!

You don't consider Zizzi and Prezzo chains?
  • Options
    Refine this a little, myself wife and two kids, boy 15 and girl 11, will be looking for a meal (fancy some oysters), will be driving so not heavy on the drink but will visit a recommended pub.
    Kids are pretty patient but would be good to find something of interest for them.
    Hope this helps NLN.
    Thanks for the comments so far guys.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Stone said:

You don't consider Zizzi and Prezzo chains?
    Yeah, well reminded! And Pizza Express!!
  • Options
    Reculver would be good for somewhere of interest, but the suggestion of a walk there is a little bit surprising, there and back would be nearer a marathon than a walk. Luckily for you the weather will not be good, otherwise Whitstable is heaving with undesirables down from London for the day, some of them probably from Lewisham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Walk there, bus back Steve!
  • Options

Refine this a little, myself wife and two kids, boy 15 and girl 11, will be looking for a meal (fancy some oysters), will be driving so not heavy on the drink but will visit a recommended pub.
    Kids are pretty patient but would be good to find something of interest for them.
    Hope this helps NLN.
    Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Wheelers is good for oysters but pretty booked up usually, but they have them from stalls in the harbour too.
  • Options
    true NLN, I would do it myself, not sure you could encourage an 11 and 15 year old to.

I was in Pearsons last night. Not too many townies about thankfully.
  • Options
    You might be right.

I like Pearsons but it's definitely one for the £5 pint!
  • Options
    yeah not cheap, then nowhere in whitstable is particularly. prefer canterbury.
  • Options
    Prefer Whitstable myself (lived in Canterbury for 8 years), but Canterbury has some nice restaurants and pubs.
  • Options
    Oh, and the Ship is £3.20 a Bitburger!!
  • Options
    For restaurants, if you are after a curry go to Shobab. The best fish and chip shop is on Canterbury Road on the right hand side going out of town before Borstall Hill. Jo Jos in Tankerton is good for tapas food but you will need to book in advance. I agree Samphire is good. Salt Marsh is excellent for food. I think it's run by the guy who now does the food for The Duke of Cumberland pub.

If you are after a nice coffee shop then Tea and Times is nice. Howard's on Gladstone Road does a good breakfast. And as for pubs. I agree The Ship Centurion is great for ales and a friendly place. The Neptune can be very busy when the weather is favourable. Pearsons Arms is a bit trendy and over priced but I like it.
  • Options
    Great advice guys
  • Options

yeah not cheap, then nowhere in whitstable is particularly. prefer canterbury.

Have you moved from Hythe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whitstable Oyster Company is one of my favourite restaurants in the whole bloody world.
  • Options
    Had some oysters down on the harbour when I was over a couple of weeks ago. Made my trip. Cockles, mussels, whelks as well. Very nice. Also went in the Peter Cushing. Cheap and cheerful.
  • Options
    Went there for romantic weekend and missus made me have a dozen oysters as they are an aphrodisiac. But bit of a rip off as three of them didn't work.
  • Options
    East Kent *spits*
  • Options
    JT, I'm going to forgive that because I like your little videos.

I like East Kent.

Except for most of Thanet, obviously.
    And Herne Bay.
    And Dover and Folkstone.
    And Ashford.

But Canterbury, Whitstable and Sandwich are nice, saw well as lots of tge little villages.
  • Options
    Dont forget broadstairs
  • Options
    One of my favourite rides London to Whitstable, with Fish & Chips on the beach before riding back again :)

• Options
    Ah Great Britain in one picture...

Overcast day
    Calm grey seascape
    Pebble beach
    Fish n Chips
    Stolen bike
  • Options

Don't forget to visit Whitstable's beautiful working harbour.

If the weather is good it will be throbbing on a Sunday with music, fishing boats, Thames sailing barge, a beach hut market with food court, fish market and a cafe. THE centre of Whitstable in every sense and the kids will love it.

http://www.whitstableharbourvillage.co.uk/

Enjoy.
  • Options
    The Sportsman is a fantastic pub with amazing food. They have a Michelin star and get the majority of their ingredients from the 2 square miles surrounding the pub. Not outrageously expensive either.