Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whitstable

Comments

• Options
    That's a fair few miles, JohnBoy! And on fish and chips for the second half.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Chunes said:

The Sportsman is a fantastic pub with amazing food. They have a Michelin star and get the majority of their ingredients from the 2 square miles surrounding the pub. Not outrageously expensive either.

Nice drop of Shepherd Neame beer too although I note Captain Peacock is driving!

For those who don't know the area well The Sportsman is actually in Seasalter which is two or three miles from the centre of Whitstable.
  • Options

That's a fair few miles, JohnBoy! And on fish and chips for the second half.

Bexley > Whitstable > Bexley = 120 miles. Its really not as hard/epic as it sounds. We normally head south to Shoreham and pick up the Pilgrims Way then climb up Hollingbourne and then its almost downhill for 20 miles after that :)
    On the way back, we take the direct route through Sittingbourne, Gillingham and Gravesend.

• Options
    L Block said:

whitstable has many great restauarants and pubs. it will be very difficult not to find a nice place to have a bite to eat and a drink. duke of cumberland is v good and pearsons is my favourite (they have tables on the beach, which is great on nice days).

as NLN said above the walk to Reculver is lovely and the pub their is fantastic.

Walk to Reculver that has to be at least 3-4 miles?
    The kids would love you for that lol

Listen do what most people do stop in Herne Bay drink in the Bun Penny (If still open?) get drunk then do all remaining money in Cains amusments.....SIMPLES

;-)

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Went there for romantic weekend and missus made me have a dozen oysters as they are an aphrodisiac. But bit of a rip off as three of them didn't work.

Love It!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Mum lives down there, the family and I go visit as much as possible, love it down there. One of the Fish and Chip shops there cooks everything in lard, propa Fish and Chip taste - the best.

I believ is was voted recently as the most desireable place to live in the UK...or something like that
  • Options
    Yep the proper old fish n chip shop at the arse end of the high st. Rock salmon,haven't been able to get that for a bit. Or Rig as it used to be called. Triffic. Whitstable used to be a absolute Sh*tpit when I left UK in '96,came back in 2002 and I couldn't recognise the place. The trendies had moved in. But the Hog and Donkey is closed ....
  • Options
    Wheelers is the nuts
  • Options
    Just love Whitstable, stayed in the fishermans huts quite a few times, brilliant for the kids, right on the beach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked awful.
  • Options
    I'm off down there today to have a few beers with a mate, guess we won't be eating at the Crab and Winkle.
  • Options
    seems alot of fires recently. One at a pub i sometimes go to in Aylesford last weekend. fire at an old pub in Gravesend and this fire in Whitstable. 
  • Options
    I currently am off work with Covid otherwise I would be down there today, my lot are there damping down and tidying up.  Always sad when any property burns down, but a pub is a community thing.
  • Options
    The only saving grace on this was that it was in a lesser used bit and didn't spread to the Crab and Winkle itself too badly as far as I'm aware.

And that no one was hurt, obviously.
  • Options
    We were sitting at a table beside the harbour and just finishing our fish and chips as smoke suddenly billowed over the end of the building.  There were no flames but it was obviously significant.  The wind was strong and smoke quickly filled the harbour side as we moved away.

• Options
    Blimey I bet the builder is gutted, that had just been refurbished and was about to open with a bar, coffee shops and pop up food. We were only down there a couple of weeks ago looking through the window.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Blimey I bet the builder is gutted, that had just been refurbished and was about to open with a bar, coffee shops and pop up food. We were only down there a couple of weeks ago looking through the window.
    It's not the new bit that's gone up.

There's an old shorage bit called the Cockle Shed which has basically gone, the Crab and Winkle next to it suffered some damage, then the new South Quay Shed part is untouched (though understandably closed today after only opening on Monday).
  • Options
    It's not the new bit that's gone up.

There's an old shorage bit called the Cockle Shed which has basically gone, the Crab and Winkle next to it suffered some damage, then the new South Quay Shed part is untouched (though understandably closed today after only opening on Monday).
    Cheers NLN, I can see now it’s the other end
  • Options
    My first thought was the same yesterday, wondered if the South Quay Shed's wiring was dodgy or something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Newspaper report said the building was due to be demolished from today following the fire. Isn't that a bit early?
  • Options
    I guess if it's not structurally safe maybe?
  • Options
    We're staying in Canterbury on Friday for the T20 and going to go to Whitstable on the Saturday - any recommendations for fish and chips? And as its bound to be a busy weekend, any ideas re parking? We're happy to walk 20 - 30 mins to the front
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    We're staying in Canterbury on Friday for the T20 and going to go to Whitstable on the Saturday - any recommendations for fish and chips? And as its bound to be a busy weekend, any ideas re parking? We're happy to walk 20 - 30 mins to the front
    Best fish and chips is Seven Seas at the bottom of Borstal Hill, but it's a bit out of the centre. 

Lots of people rave about VC Jones, on Harbour Street which is more central.

Parking maybe just try Gorrell Tank, if you're quite early - biggest car park and right opposite the harbour.  Unfortunately it all gets busy, there's not really a secret car park no one uses type thing, just a case of trying there then maybe heading further out of no luck to try and find street parking in a side road by Tankerton or something!!
  • Options
    Best fish and chips is Seven Seas at the bottom of Borstal Hill, but it's a bit out of the centre. 

Parking maybe just try Gorrell Tank, if you're quite early - biggest car park and right opposite the harbour.  Unfortunately it all gets busy, there's not really a secret car park no one uses type thing, just a case of trying there then maybe heading further out of no luck to try and find street parking in a side road by Tankerton or something!!
    Cheers
  • Options
    We always use Deans Plaice in Herne Bay, opposite the Clocktower, have always had a good meal there. You can eat in or take away.
  • Options

That’s my local fish and chip shop. I agree the best fish and chips in Whitstable. You might have to wait a little longer for your order but everything is always cooked fresh rather than being left in the friers. 
  • Options
    @PrincessFiona, how was your Canterbury / Whitstable weekend?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @PrincessFiona, how was your Canterbury / Whitstable weekend?
    Thanks for asking but it is next Friday/Saturday with the T20 v  (was asking about parking etc as it's the double bank hol weekend so going to be extra busy)
  • Options
    Gotchya! 

Always best to park in Tankerton and walk down into Whitstable. Will be busy but you'll find a spot somewhere.