Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal Fans To 'Snub' Guard Of Honour?

Arsenal fans are going to turn up late / turn their backs , for Van Persie et al at the Emirates whilst the 'guard of honour' takes place ,at the Emirates tomorrow , is this a complete lack of respect from knowledgeable Football fans , shouldn't Arsenal fans be applauding Man United's achievements this season , and how would you feel if we had to do the same for Palace at the Valley in the last game of NEXT season?

Comments

• Options
    Why would Arsenal applaud Man United's achievements? They're rivals. I don't see the need for a guard of honour.
  • Options

Arsenal fans are going to turn up late / turn their backs , for Van Persie et al at the Emirates whilst the 'guard of honour' takes place ,at the Emirates tomorrow , is this a complete lack of respect from knowledgeable Football fans , shouldn't Arsenal fans be applauding Man United's achievements this season , and how would you feel if we had to do the same for Palace at the Valley in the last game of NEXT season?

Lacks class IMHO. I could see why if it was Spurs but not Man Utd.

• Options
    When did this guard of honour thing start? Don't seem to remember it until a few years ago, but I might be wrong.
  • Options

They need to have a look bit closer to home if they seriously blame Man Utd or Van Persie for leaving
  • Options
    United have done it for teams as well, i believe, correct me if i'm wrong?
  • Options
    Turning up late for it sounds fine, turning their backs on it is a bit sad.
  • Options

United have done it for teams as well, i believe, correct me if i'm wrong?

They did for Chelsea, definitely.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

They need to have a look bit closer to home if they seriously blame Man Utd or Van Persie for leaving
    I think it's in part a protest against the board selling Van Persie to them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    Classless supporters one and all. Been going on for years and years in one form or another this sort of recognition.

Man U are far from their best at the moment but have walked the league all the same and therefore deserve the plaudits for doing so. We seem to be developing a growing minority of supporters who are incapable of showing respect for anyone other than their own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spurs I could understand it but Manu United? The two clubs in competition terms are miles apart. Hope United Hammer them, they those who arrived late can leave early.
  • Options
    the clubs have a history of mutual disrespect going back to the George Graham era when both clubs were vying for topdogmanship .. they really deserve one another
  • Options
    I believe Man U did it for them, albeit a few years ago now!

If it were us & the nigels, I think I would just suffer another pint at the North Upper bar!
  • Options

Why would Arsenal applaud Man United's achievements? They're rivals. I don't see the need for a guard of honour.

A few years back Man U gave Arsenal a guard of honour after they won the title.

• Options
    Is all the hate towards RVP fair as well..he left to win something and he has?

I suppose the fans feel Arsenal helped him through injuries and then left after 2 very good seasons but its up to Wenger to get a replacement of sorts.
  • Options
    Wy the anger at RVP? He has done what many Arsenal players have done before him, left because they never win anything or likely to for years.
  • Options

Lacks class IMHO. I could see why if it was Spurs but not Man Utd.

Likewise SHG. Just an extension of this Sky manufactured "rivalry" between their pet favourites.
  • Options
    Pretty pathetic from any Arsenal fans who take part in this.
  • Options
    No way in hell i would applaud anything millwall or palace won particularly if chris solly left to help them do it.

Why would I.
  • Options

No way in hell i would applaud anything millwall or palace won particularly if chris solly left to help them do it.

Why would I.

It's not really the same though is it ? If it was Spurs then maybe I'd understand but Arsenal have a rivalry with United that is based on mutual competitiveness not geography. Surely in those circumstances anyone with class can recognise the better man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why would I.

Think that's the nub of this though isn't it. For us Palace or Millwall would be intolerable but would you snub applauding Brighton for example ? Arsenal have Spurs and possibly Chelsea but its classless to not applaud Man U.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Why would I.

It's not really the same though is it ? If it was Spurs then maybe I'd understand but Arsenal have a rivalry with United that is based on mutual competitiveness not geography. Surely in those circumstances anyone with class can recognise the better man.
    Exactly. That's why I agreed with SHG. There is no "rivalry" between Arsenal and Manchester United, other that the one invented by Sky.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Fair enough chaps I always thought there was a historical rivalry between the 2.

Yeah I would applaud most other clubs like Brighton etc of course.
  • Options
    If Man U had won the league at our place I would have given them a good clap.
    Every bloody team is a rival and everyones hates Man U, but they're a great team.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

If Man U had won the league at our place I would have given them a good clap.
    Every bloody team is a rival and everyones hates Man U, but they're a great team.

Every team is a rival but not every team is a rival on the same level are they. We have rivalry in the league with Bolton and Ipswich but its not the same as with Palace or Millwall is it. I could cheerfully applaud Ipswich if they won the league at our place but I'm fecked if I would for either of our real rivals.

• Options
    If we'd been challenging sheff wed for promotions and cups and had some bitter encounters over years and not forgetting them laughing at us getting relegated from the prem a rivalry would occur
    And you'd prolly end up wanting to snub them etc
    But we're not challenging with the same teams and always playing the same teams in cups as well as leagues so we won't get the rivalry
    Madrid and Barcelona are rivals why's that then !!!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think a guard of honour is a nice touch. If fans are so childish that they can't respect another team's successes then it's their loss really.

• Options
    When your champions of the league it shouldnt be until your last home game of the season that any guard of honor is conducted

• Options
    Hmm. Should be spontaneous IMO. Another thing that's become regimented and formalised, like the pathetic attempts by the bloke on the tannoy telling us that we have to cheer whilst simultaneously playing music so loud there's no point bothering.
  • Options

The biggest clubs in football have, in my opinion, used the game for their own benefit and to the detriment of others and the game in general.

Today, it's alleged, United have taken a player our youth team.

Still applauding?