Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players we missed out on...

Although we seem to have snatched up some players in recent years who haven't seemed to fit in at other clubs but have done fantastically for us (Jackson, Kermorgant) how many players have we truly fudged up with by not securing a signature on the dotted line?

To kick-off I'll start with one a Norwich mate never fails to rub in. Apparently a number of years ago when we were in League 1 we had the option to sign one of two players, one was Wes Hoolahan (who went to Norwich instead and is now a fan favourite) and Stuart Fleetwood. Unfortunately we went for the latter but I can't help but kick myself whenever I think of it, or whenever he has another stormer for Norwich!

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    Think there is a similar thread on this, but ronaldo and flamini have got to be the two biggest players we were interested in and missed out on
  • Options
    could go on for ages!

Tim Cahill, Flamini, Kezman, Don Hutchinson, Jason Roberts, Isaksson, Rob Green, Antti Niemi, Gudjohnsen, Sheringham, James Beattie, Peter Crouch, etc etc etc
  • Options
    Marian Pahars
  • Options
    Kevin Phillips
  • Options
    Kevin Keegan
  • Options
    Van Bommel.
    Jeremy Goss
    Alexei Michalichenko (wasnt he on trial once?)
    Ricardo Fuller (first time around - would have loved him in his Stoke pomp)
  • Options
    Darren Purse
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I seem to remember Hoolahan preferred to go to Norwich (maybe bigger wages, or perhaps didn't want to move to London?).

Flamini decided Arsenal were more glamorous than Charlton, just like Kezman signing for Chelsea.
    There was also a Denmark international CB who signed for Aston Villa at the last minute, having previously agreed to sign for Charlton (about 2005).

We don't need players that chase the dollar or instant glory. Look what happened when we tried to do just that.

• Options
    who was the player from the anglo-italian cup that we enquired about?
  • Options
    There's still time for us to sign Hayden Mullins...

I'm sure we were trying to sign Steve Claridge at some point too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Think there is a similar thread on this, but ronaldo and flamini have got to be the two biggest players we were interested in and missed out on

Surely we were never seriously in with a chance of getting Ronaldo? He was sold at 18 for about 12m to United, how exactly were we going to compete?
  • Options
    Rivaldo
  • Options
    Martin Laursen, threadkiller. Even paid for a plane to get him to England and helicopter to Sparrows Lane
  • Options

Darren Purse

Might still happen.

• Options
    We missed out on getting Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
  • Options
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson and wes hoolahan were two players I really wanted us to replace andy Reid with when he left. Looks like they were both as good as I thought!
  • Options

I remember Oliver Bierhoff scoring against us, was it him?
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Surely we were never seriously in with a chance of getting Ronaldo? He was sold at 18 for about 12m to United, how exactly were we going to compete?
    £6 million when we wanted him though
  • Options

Wasn't it Luca Toni?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I remember Oliver Bierhoff scoring against us, was it him?
    Yep

• Options
    When John White was at Falkirk he agreed to join us and we were then gazumped by Spurs.
  • Options
    Stanley Matthews
  • Options
    Sir Alex Ferguson

We offered a then-world-record fee when he was at Queens park. If only
  • Options
    Stephen Quinn was a shame!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    John White, while he was at Alloa. Just after we had been relegated from the old First Division . Alloa were willing to sell to us, however we wouldn't pay the asking price of £3000. A couple of months later he went to Falkirk for £3300 plus a crate of whisky, they beat both Rangers and Hibs to his signature. He only played 30 games for them before going to Spurs and was a member of they double winning team in '61.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    John White, killed by lightning aged 27. I remember my Spurs supporting Dad telling me.

Hmm, not sure why the link doesn't go directly to him, but he's easy to find if you look down the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_White_(footballer,_born_1937)
  • Options
    My late father in law was a cousin to him, when someone showed me a photo of John White, I thought I was looking at my FIL.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

The difference between these two is Flamini decided to go to Arsenal, Curbs decided he did not want Ronaldo
  • Options
    mendonca said:

We missed out on getting Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Actually, I think we just got more of him than we needed.