Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players we missed out on...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cyrille Regis. My mate (an ex-scout for Charlton) recommended Regis when he was playing for Hayes. Charlton management took a look and decided he was too slow. Oh well.....
  • Options
    Andy Delort...
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Andy Delort...

Who?
  • Options
    Stuart Fleetwood is playing for Eastleigh in the Conference (I think).
  • Options
    Don't think we missed out on Fleetwood.

Pards signed him and then didn't give him many opportunities.
  • Options
    Steve Guppy. Played for the reserves as a trailist around the early 90's whilst still at Wycombe Wanderers
  • Options
    Chris O'Grady who is banging them in at the northern club Brighton, isn't he?
  • Options

John White, while he was at Alloa. Just after we had been relegated from the old First Division . Alloa were willing to sell to us, however we wouldn't pay the asking price of £3000. A couple of months later he went to Falkirk for £3300 plus a crate of whisky, they beat both Rangers and Hibs to his signature. He only played 30 games for them before going to Spurs and was a member of they double winning team in '61.

@guinnessaddick

John White was meant to be a fantastic player. So we missed out due to the fee.

At some point a fee to take him to Ibrox had been agreed, but Rangers had a wage structure and were unwilling to break it (presumably this would have been either when he signed for Spurs or whilst he was at Spurs).

He would have been an excellent signing for either Charlton or Rangers, and signing for either would probably have meant he was not on that golf course.
  • Options
    Wouldn't call them massive losses and not sure if already reported here, but word is that we were in for Odubajo in the summer but Brentford offered more.

And Austin of Leeds was all set to come not long after Fuller joined - they're best mates, it seems. CP really wanted him, but medical found a knee problem so the club didn't want to go ahead. Went to Leeds instead and seems to have held up pretty well since, so far as l can tell.
  • Options
    Here's one for you....Who was the striker we looked at back in the early days of the Gritt/Curbs era, circa Upton Park. Fee agreed but he failed a medical and was cheesed off that we went public about a problem with his back. Not Fuller or John Hartson. Much earlier than that. Think he might have been an Oldham player. And he might have ended up at Millwall????
    Name fails me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Makin possibly... I know its well documented in Curbs' book that we wanted him yet him failing a medical at such a late stage apparently changed Curbs' process on signing players
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Here's one for you....Who was the striker we looked at back in the early days of the Gritt/Curbs era, circa Upton Park. Fee agreed but he failed a medical and was cheesed off that we went public about a problem with his back. Not Fuller or John Hartson. Much earlier than that. Think he might have been an Oldham player. And he might have ended up at Millwall????
    Name fails me.

Think it might of been Chris Malkin from Tranmere.

• Options
    Claridge