Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Convoy's Wharf" Deptford.

Think its a good or bad thing ?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10399864.Deptford_Convoys_Wharf___1billion_plan_to_build_3_500_homes/

AN ambitious £1billion scheme to build 3,500 homes on Deptford's Convoys Wharf was submitted to Lewisham Council this week.

The 40 acre wasteland has been derelict for 13 years and MP Joan Ruddock says the plans are "progress" but is keen the area does not become a "millionaire’s waterfront playground".

Developers Hutchison Whampoa would create shops and restaurants, as well as three new parks, and a 270-metre long jetty on the site of the former historic royal docks.

MP for Lewisham and Deptford Ms Ruddock said: "I am very pleased that progress has been made.

"The developers have respected the enormous historic importance.

"I still think there is concern about the density of housing and about the amount of affordable housing which is what we need for local people and concerns about traffic."

It comes after Lewisham Council approved proposals to alter Creekside's Faircharm Estate which means many artists will have to move out.

Speaking of the overall changes for Deptford, Ms Ruddock added: “They are positive because bringing jobs and homes, but it is always vital that developers have regard for the very special character of Deptford.

"We don’t want it to become a millionaire’s waterfront playground and that is why I have been working with developers to not drive out local people and the character, and I think on balance we are just about managing it."

Director and General Manager of Hutchison Whampoa properties (Europe) Limited Dr Edmund Ho said: "We are delighted with Sir Terry Farrell’s vision for the site, which creates a new urban quarter on Deptford's waterfront.

"Not only does it reconnect this previously inaccessible site back to Deptford High Street and the surrounding area, it also gives real emphasis to the rich heritage and history of the area.

"The development will also bring employment, training, regeneration and other benefits to the local community.

"We are confident this is the right Masterplan for the Convoys Wharf site, and that it should receive the necessary planning consent later this year.”

Personally think it will b*gger up the traffic even more than now.......

Comments

• http://www.building.co.uk/buildings/technical/planning/farrell-unveils-plan-for-convoys-wharf/5054278.article

Sir Terry Farrell-designed masterplan to transform Convoys Wharf submitted for planning permission

A new Sir Terry Farrell-designed masterplan to transform Convoys Wharf on the River Thames has been submitted for planning permission.

The developer Hutchison Whampoa Property said it was planning to invest over £1bn into the site, opposite Canary Wharf, with aim of transforming the derelict and inaccessible site into a mixed use development.

The Sir Terry Farrell-designed masterplan comprises 3,500 new homes of which over 500 will be affordable, as well as three new public parks totalling 3 acres, 120,000ft2 of shops, restaurants and cafes and 100,000ft2 of space for artistic and cultural usage.

It will link to and enhance the existing Deptford High Street and historic town centre.

Sir Terry Farrell said: “Convoys Wharf represents an important opportunity to regenerate this site in South East London that has been derelict and inaccessible for many years.

“This part of Deptford has an incredible history, more so than any project I have worked on in my career, and we feel we have a scheme that strikes the right balance between respecting and celebrating the cultural heritage and providing much needed new homes and jobs.

“It will reconnect local communities to almost 50% of the borough’s river frontage whilst providing London’s first public park that is open to the river.”

The Convoys Wharf site has been earmarked for redevelopment by Lewisham council, with former owners News International initially commissioning the Richard Rogers Partnership to design a masterplan for the site, which was granted a ‘resolution to grant’ planning permission in 2005.

New owners Hutchison Whampoa then commissioned Sir Terry Farrell architects to develop a new masterplan in early 2012.
  • I can't access the NS page. Is the idea for more 'luxury' hen coops or for more 'social & affordable' housing?. My docker 'ancestors' lived in Creek Road in the 19th century. £1 billion ?? .. you're 'avin a larf
  • Luxury is never a word that I would've ever associated with "Dirty" Deptford
  • BIG_ROB said:

Luxury is never a word that I would've ever associated with "Dirty" Deptford

Deptford? .. it's the 'new Belgravia'
  • the problem is that while they keep building loads of new houses everywhere, they never increase the services to match (schools, hospitals, fire, police)
  • Sounds good, the traditional working class dock areas will all end up being trendy, even places like Hull as rich people like to live by water. Deptford certainly needs sorting out.
  • edited May 2013
    My other internet life (away from CL)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=857712

Like most construction projects in this country this has rumbled on for years, skip to the last page on the link to see the latest proposals. Anyone interested in modern architecture, I recommend this site it's nerdtatsic !
  • Hmmm... A cabbie tried to charge my mate an extra few quid to take her to her house in "West Greenwich" (Deptford farking Creek) the other week.
    The worlds gone mad. Keep Deptford rubbish, its the best thing about it!
  • I shall be expressing an interest on working here - large scale residential is right up our alley.

Regeneration can only be a good thing
  • Is there any mention of a new stadium for Millwall :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Just reading the words Hutchison whampoa put the shivers up me. Worked for them in Hong Kong it was worst job i ever had, full of mean and spiteful people, bar two of them. Yuck.

How will the traffic cope with that amount of people moving in.

And there's more high rises planned for the Arsenal development. Building building building.
  • BIG_ROB said:

Luxury is never a word that I would've ever associated with "Dirty" Deptford

Deptford? .. it's the 'new Belgravia'

Don't be daft.
    Rumania. Well they've got to live somewhere.
  • Curb_It said:

Just reading the words Hutchison whampoa put the shivers up me. Worked for them in Hong Kong it was worst job i ever had, full of mean and spiteful people, bar two of them. Yuck.

How will the traffic cope with that amount of people moving in.

And there's more high rises planned for the Arsenal development. Building building building.

....and owners of the 3 mobile operator as well as being a huge shipping and port operator, I did not know they did property as well.

Not surprised they are targeting Deptford, great spot to get to London from.
  • Greenwich and Deptford will eventually grind to a standstill given the amount of building going on. Lewisham and Greenwich council need to give more thought to the population density of these developments - I am suspicious of a number of the developers involved and I'm sure there could be a few backanders flying about in respect of planning permission.
    I have nothing against modern architecture but some of these developments are very poor quality.
    Deptford and Greenwich could be submerged under blocks of flats and lack of infrastructure.
  • My other internet life (away from CL)

Like most construction projects in this country this has rumbled on for years, skip to the last page on the link to see the latest proposals. Anyone interested in modern architecture, I recommend this site it's nerdtatsic !

Thanks for that link. Fascinating stuff. I work right by the new building in merchant sq paddington and have never been interested in buildings or architecture but for some reason the progress is interesting me! Will be able to find out more on that forum! What a knowledgable bunch. Amazing images too. London is awesome.

• Boris has today given the nod to a new development on the old Catford dogs site which includes around 500 houses and flats.
  • cafc999 said:

the problem is that while they keep building loads of new houses everywhere, they never increase the services to match (schools, hospitals, fire, police)

Spot on. Or even shops selling everyday goods, pubs, decent public open spaces you can take your kids to etc

• Dansk_Red said:

Is there any mention of a new stadium for Millwall :-)

Probably not but Charlton should be looking to target these new developments with an advertising campaign.
  • Deptford is a shithole. I spent the first 20-odd years of my life there, so am as well qualified as anyone to make that judgement. It doesn't matter a jot whatever they build there - its the people that make it such a fucking dump. Unless they find a way to magic all the scum out of the place, it'll always be a dump.

Ruddock is having a laugh going on about 'community spirit' like there's still a sense of togetherness in Deptford such as may have existed 150 years ago. The only sense of togetherness there is in not grassing up the crackhead who's just affected the tenth break-in of your house in the past two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Joan Ruddock's seat is, of course, rock-solid Labour. But in changing times, it's perhaps not surprising that she doesn't want changing demographics in her fiefdom. 3,500 new homes, maybe 7,000 new voters, maybe some tampering with the constituency by the Electoral Boundaries Commission....of course not, what am I thinking, she's just protecting the interests of her ordinary hard working constituents.
  • My other internet life (away from CL)

Thanks for that link. Fascinating stuff. I work right by the new building in merchant sq paddington and have never been interested in buildings or architecture but for some reason the progress is interesting me! Will be able to find out more on that forum! What a knowledgable bunch. Amazing images too. London is awesome.

Nps SuziS, I agree about the photography, there are some sumptuous views of our capital cropping up all the time on that site. Enjoy the gander.
  • cafcfan said:

Joan Ruddock's seat is, of course, rock-solid Labour. But in changing times, it's perhaps not surprising that she doesn't want changing demographics in her fiefdom. 3,500 new homes, maybe 7,000 new voters, maybe some tampering with the constituency by the Electoral Boundaries Commission....of course not, what am I thinking, she's just protecting the interests of her ordinary hard working constituents.

I doubt Joan Ruddock will be around by then! She's nearly 70 now!

By the way, she has a majority of about 14,000 (30%) they'd need to build a LOT of new houses to overturn that.
  • For the project to turn an acceptable profit the amount of affordable housing will be kept to a cosmetic minimum. In the present dire economic circumstances who will be buying the bulk of these properties ? What is going to support South London's growing gentrification ? Or are things actually not as bad as we're constantly being told ?
  • edited June 2013
    http://www.deptfordis.org.uk/2013/06/convoys-wharf-planning-application.html?m=1

Over the coming weeks the Deptford is.. team will be commenting on a number of aspects of the proposed redevelopment of Convoys Wharf, in order to stimulate debate and encourage local residents and interested bodies to submit their comments on the application to Lewisham Council.

This proposal is going to have a massive impact on Deptford and surrounds, and we want to try and reach as many people as we can, to make them aware of what is happening.

If you are interested in finding out how this development will affect you, we strongly recommend that you read as much of the application as you are able to, follow our blog posts and those of other local bloggers (see sidebar) and talk to your local councillors, your MP and the planning experts at Lewisham Council to get answers to any questions you may have, and listen to what other bodies are saying about the application - we will report those comments here as and when we receive them.

We also invite anyone who is reading the application and wants to raise issues or ask questions to do so in the comments below, or by emailing us directly (deptfordis@yahoo dot co dot uk).

We will try and address those issues we consider most fundamental, including massing and density of the development, transport links, heritage and cultural strategy, and environmental aspects as well as the developer's proposals for the protected wharf.

The official deadline for submitting comments to the planning department is 1 July 2013. However please remember you can submit comments right up until the date at which the application comes before the strategic planning committee. We recommend that you copy your comments to your local councillors and your MP.

Application: the official description and finding the documents

The comprehensive redevelopment of Convoys Wharf to provide a mixed-use development of up to 419,100 square metres comprising:
    up to 321,000m2 residential floorspace (up to 3,500 units) (Use Class C3)
    up to 15,500m2 employment floorspace (Class B1/Live/Work units) including up to 2,200m2 for 3 no. potential energy centres wharf with associated vessel moorings and up to 32,200m2 of employment floorspace (Sui Generis & Class B2)
    up to 5,810m2 of retail and financial and professional services floorspace (Classes A1 & A2)
    up to 4,520m2 of restaurant/cafe and drinking establishment floorspace (Classes A3 & A4)
    up to 13,000m2 of community/non residential institution floorspace (Class D1) and assembly and leisure (Class D2)
    up to 27,070m2 of hotel floorspace (Class C1)
    river bus jetty and associated structures
    1,840 car parking spaces together with vehicular access from New King Street and Grove Street retention and refurbishment of the Olympia Building and demolition of all remaining non-listed structures on site
    All matters reserved other than access and the siting and massing of three tall buildings.

Should you wish to download the documents, you can find them on Lewisham Council's planning portal here (application number DC/13/83358).

However in its digital form, the application consists of almost 60 files, some numbering more than 500 pages and many of them 50MB or more in size. Downloading the whole lot from the planning website will cost you more than 1GB of your broadband data.

Deptford Lounge.
    As part of the planning process, applicants are required to provide paper copies of these documents, and one set of the Convoys Wharf application is available at Deptford Lounge. Thanks to the efforts of some of our team, and the kind cooperation of the library staff, these documents are now on display next to the information desk for any member of the public to browse.
  • I heard on the radio that there are plans to build the tallest building in the world in london over a mile high 4 x the size of the shard
  • I heard on the radio that there are plans to build the tallest building in the world in london over a mile high 4 x the size of the shard

Seems unlikely. Where did they say they were going to build it?

• Blimey; from the top of that you'll be able to see Coventry nla !
    ;-)
  • buy to let paradise as well, needs to be more affordable housing to take the steam out of the private market a bit methinks
  • doubt they would get pp for a building of that kind in a residential area