Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Falcao to Monaco

Comments

• Options
    Lucky boy. Wins the lottery every week for the next 5 years. Scores goals for relative fun and doesn't wreck his body as he would be sure to do in the Prem. I hope he uses his money to benefit some good causes, which may end up more meaningful to him than playing football.
  • Options

So everyone would say no to an extra £250k pw?

I'm just very shallow as my ambition would be to earn as much as possible before I got on the wrong end of a career ending injury from some fuckwit from a lower league trying to make a name for himself in some meaningless cup game

The guys still gonna be earning top dollar at another more competitive club, this isn't a case of earning 500k a week or earning peanuts. He's still gonna clear 100k a week somewhere else and attempt to win trophies.

Try to win trophies at the top level as soon as you can. Professional footballers earn amazing money but the experience of winning European trophies is priceless.
  • Options
    If he can earn an extra 250k p/w at Monaco thats £65Million extra over 5 years.
    Theres so much more you could do with that than waving a Champions League winners Medal in everyones face.
  • Options

I'm just very shallow as my ambition would be to earn as much as possible before I got on the wrong end of a career ending injury from some fuckwit from a lower league trying to make a name for himself in some meaningless cup game

The guys still gonna be earning top dollar at another more competitive club, this isn't a case of earning 500k a week or earning peanuts. He's still gonna clear 100k a week somewhere else and attempt to win trophies.

Try to win trophies at the top level as soon as you can. Professional footballers earn amazing money but the experience of winning European trophies is priceless.
    Exactly.

John Terry is the most money-hungry git in football but if you'd have asked him when he was balling his eyes out after falling on his arse after that penalty if he'd have paid £10m to have scored instead, sure he'd have done it.
  • Options

Exactly.

John Terry is the most money-hungry git in football but if you'd have asked him when he was balling his eyes out after falling on his arse after that penalty if he'd have paid £10m to have scored instead, sure he'd have done it.
    No chance and most others wouldn't either
  • Options

If Monaco are spending that much on one player then I wonder how many other players they are planning to bring in? I can't believe he would go there unless he was confident that they will bring in enough quality wingers/midfielders to get the ball to him to create the chances. If they are going to be spending a lot more money then perhaps while they won't be contenders this year maybe in the next two or three years they will be challenging for the CL or Europa cup?
  • Options
    MattD said:

Theres so much more you could do with that than waving a Champions League winners Medal in everyones face.

exactly , he can make a real difference to those that he chooses to share it with

• Options
    What I don't get is how the owner can have 2 teams in Europe?
    You only have to look at Anzi to see how willing he is to spend the dosh he made thanks to the collapse of communism in Russia.
  • Options

You only have to look at Anzi to see how willing he is to spend the dosh he made thanks to the collapse of communism in Russia.

are they the same owner?
  • Options
    yes

are they the same owner?
    woops my mistake, Monaco is being bankroled by Dmitry Rybolovlev.....................there are too many of these russian billionaires.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you really think that John Terry declares full salary in the UK and is whopping out 50% of his earnings in TAX?
  • Options
    What's your point, caller?
  • Options

If Monaco are spending that much on one player then I wonder how many other players they are planning to bring in? I can't believe he would go there unless he was confident that they will bring in enough quality wingers/midfielders to get the ball to him to create the chances. If they are going to be spending a lot more money then perhaps while they won't be contenders this year maybe in the next two or three years they will be challenging for the CL or Europa cup?

He's apparently said he's willing to spend £200m this summer
  • Options
    MattD said:

I'd imagine he would make a slice of that back in the sponsorship deals if he joined an already successful and lucrative club.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Do you really think that John Terry declares full salary in the UK and is whopping out 50% of his earnings in TAX?

No, most players sign two contracts with their clubs. One is a playing contract and the other licences his image rights to the club for a healthy fee and royalties for the use of their name and image. The former is taxable in the UK on normal HMRC rules while the latter is paid into the player's own Ltd company. The player can offshore this company if he chooses placing it in a tax friendly environment. Most players do this...

• Options
    Monaco not wasting any time with their summer buys.

They've signed Porto's midfield duo Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez for a combined £60m!!!

Reports also saying that Falcao will sign next week.
  • Options
    I saw something in Marca the other day that said the only reason he was going to Monaco was because Real want him, and Atletico won't sell him to them. Goes to Monaco for a season, picks up a massive wedge, then goes to Real next summer. sounds legit to me.
  • Options
    Have read the same and it's definitely credible.
  • Options
    Financial fair play??
    Monaco are smaller than us.
  • Options
    He's only going there because Atletico won't sell him directly to Real Madrid. He'll play for Monaco for a season and this time next year he'll be a Real player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Needs some people to read the whole thread before commenting...

They're owned by a Russian billionaire (how many billionaires does Russia have!!) and just got promoted from ligue 2 with an average crowd of 5,141

Obviously the bonus for Falcao is his wages will be tax free.

I believe the French Football Federation wanted all clubs in the French League to have their admin base in France. This would result, as I understand it, in Monaco not having an effective tax advantage on other French teams and having to pay tax like the rest. The French also wanted to bring 75% tax on high earners, which I believe would be met by employers in footballs case.

In theory if Falcao earns £300,000 per week, and the above comes into play, Monaco could be left effectively paying £525,000 per week for Falcao.
    This is true, combined with financial fair play (yes - I know) Monaco may find themselves in a very different position in a few months time.

As far as the lack of ambition vs greed discussion. Some would grab everything they can, like fat cat bankers, others would prefer a proper challenge were they a professional sportsman.

Matt D, experience tells us sadly what he is likely to do with that £65m is buy overpriced watches, cars and handbags for his wife/girlfriend, not donate 90% of it to greenpeace or the WWF...

J Block - looking down this thread "most others" would not have taken the £10m and been happy to miss that penalty, I would say it would be about 50/50. You forget that Terry isn't working in Ladbrokes on minimum wage and is suddenly being offered £10m, he is already worth an awful lot of money. If you would take the money and miss the pen, fair enough, but I think it is a bit unfair to assume everyone else would take the same stance as you?

Threadkiller - yes you are very shallow, again you need to look at what these players already have. Falcao could retire tomorrow and have flunkies tickling his balls with ostrich feathers for the rest of his natural, and still have enough left over to drink white tigers milk with Heidi Klum every weekend.
  • Options
    The thing is perry

Tigers milk and heidi klum are so gary lineker

Its all about the liger milk and rachel from countdown now
  • Options
    The top of the French League will be interesting next year.
  • Options
    Thought I read tht Falcao rubbished the rumours he was going Monaco only a few days ago.
  • Options

The thing is perry

Tigers milk and heidi klum are so gary lineker

Its all about the liger milk and rachel from countdown now

Showing my age mate...
  • Options

Thought I read tht Falcao rubbished the rumours he was going Monaco only a few days ago.

He's having his medical there tomorrow.

• Options
    That's what Sheffield Red and I were referring to SH.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why doesn't Romario just disappear with his millions?

Not everyone is pigeonholed I guess