Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• For those who knew it, the Bricks in Shepherdswell is being turned into housing, with two more being built behind it in the car park. The Bell still going, along with the Tipsy Gardener which is run by an Addick.

The Bell brings back some good memories. A schoolmate's parents had a big place just over the green and a group of us would often go down there for the weekend.  I was a snakebite & black drinker in those days... :smile:    
  • Vincenzo said:
    Went to the Star & Garter in Bromley the other night. Bloody hell, what a pub. A fantastic selection of beer, on cask and keg. £3 a pint of cask from Northern Monk and some real bangers in the taps, from Cloudwater, Verdant and Deya. 
    Is that the one just up from the Greyhound that used to be a gay pub?
  • Off_it said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Went to the Star & Garter in Bromley the other night. Bloody hell, what a pub. A fantastic selection of beer, on cask and keg. £3 a pint of cask from Northern Monk and some real bangers in the taps, from Cloudwater, Verdant and Deya. 
    Yes.
  • Anyone ever drank in the The Oak, or Anglesea up tbat way? (Widmore Green etc)
  • £2.90 for a pint in my local yesterday
  • Anyone ever drank in the The Oak, or Anglesea up tbat way? (Widmore Green etc)
    The Oak, Widmore Green is decent.
    A little on the posh side, which is deceiving, as it doesn't look it from the outside.
  • Off_it said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Yes.
    Did it used to be called the cock and whippet inn?
  • £2.90 for a pint in my local yesterday
    £2.90 for a pint in my local yesterday

A pensioners deal?
    A little on the posh side, which is deceiving, as it doesn't look it from the outside.
    On the posh side , do you mean expensive 
  • clb74 said:
    Anyone ever drank in the The Oak, or Anglesea up tbat way? (Widmore Green etc)
    I doubt they'd let you in :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

Was a regular in there in the late 90s mate and done the door for the millennium party. Last time i drove past I'm sure it was painted pink?
  • Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Shame the staff behind the counter are so miserable.
    Didn't get that experience. Helpful woman behind the bar made some good suggestions when she saw me paralysed by all the choices.
    Mine was unhelpful when she saw me paralysed after 10 pints.
  • clb74 said:
    I doubt they'd let you in :wink:
    Trousers only.
  • Remember talking to a bloke and his wife in there early one Friday evening, see them in there before to nod and say hello to, but only ever really spoke to them this one time as they normally left early.  Anyway, had a good chat about cabbages and kings and as the pub was getting busy, they called it a night. A little while later, another regular pointed out it was Graham Lyle of Gallagher and Lyle fame I was talking to.
  • Was his Mrs called Tate ?
  • Was his Mrs called Tate ?
    Very sweet lady too mate
  • Very good micro pub called The Three Pillars in Gravesend, Wrotham Road, downstairs below Masonic hall
  • clb74 said:
    I know a cardigan wearer who lives quite close to that pub 😀
  • Apparently The Kings Arms up by the barracks being pulled down today? Can anyone confirm?
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently The Kings Arms up by the barracks being pulled down today? Can anyone confirm?

Yes it has been closed for at least a  couple of years
  • my local (Rose and Crown in Welling) seems to have had a very nice makeover during lockdown, garden looks amazing. Even got Goddards Pie n Mash taking over the newly refitted kitchen when all this is over.
  • Pub gone in Greenwich. 

• Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    The number of pubs in the UK grew last year for the first time in yonks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755
    No doubt includes the recent wave of micro-pubs in old shop units.

I was in Sittingbourne last weekend and there's 2 new micro-pubs opened on the High Street in the past 15 months.
    But in recent years, several pubs in traditional character buildings have closed.

Some of these old period buildings can be under threat. And they can be lost too.

Hey, you were in Sittingbourne ?
    I would have bought you a pint in Bunters or The Red Lion (£3-40 Stella).
  • Curb_It said:
    Pub gone in Greenwich. 

Sadly the Union has been in decline for a number of years.
  • That was back in January @Miserableoldgit.

Spent all the time in my Cornish village. Haven't even ventured across the River Tamar into England since then.

But a pint sounds tempting ....... next time I'm due to be in Sittingbourne, I'll let you know. Be good to meet up again!

• I’ve still not been to the pub since before lockdown 
  • clb74 said:
    I’ve still not been to the pub since before lockdown 
    It's alright Dave I'm making up for you
    Thanks mate, I was starting to feel bad