Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    Fox and Hounds in Plumstead getting a new licensee.
    Hope they keep the football on the tv.
    Heard ex plume of feathers/ Melbourne taking it other. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Is that a good thing? Haven’t drunk in the Melbourne but the Plume of Feathers in Plumstead was a right old shit hole when I last went there a year or two ago.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Is that a good thing? Haven’t drunk in the Melbourne but the Plume of Feathers in Plumstead was a right old shit hole when I last went there a year or two ago.
    New owners few years back, so don't think its the same owners who are buying the fox. Melbourne well its the Melbourne lol we probably seen eachother many a time before 
  • Options
    Was at the Duke of Edinburgh in Brixton last night. Packed garden and they call last orders at 9pm, kick out at 9.30.

Couldn't believe it, pub closing while it's still light outside and the match on the big screen hadn't even finished. Mental to do that having just been closed for so long.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:
    Was at the Duke of Edinburgh in Brixton last night. Packed garden and they call last orders at 9pm, kick out at 9.30.

Couldn't believe it, pub closing while it's still light outside and the match on the big screen hadn't even finished. Mental to do that having just been closed for so long.

Is it in a residential area? Could be a neighbours/licensing issue. Usually when a pub is forced to close their garden early it's due to neighbours complaining to the council about the noise, so the pub needs to close the garden at an "acceptable" time or risk losing their license over noise complaints. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Croydon said:

Is it in a residential area? Could be a neighbours/licensing issue. Usually when a pub is forced to close their garden early it's due to neighbours complaining to the council about the noise, so the pub needs to close the garden at an "acceptable" time or risk losing their license over noise complaints. 
    Plus, would the garden be in darkness making it difficult to clear up lots of glasses?
  • Options
    Surely pubs have been clearing up glasses in the dark long before even the Boer war.
  • Options
    I could have a packed garden full of drinkers but with restrictions it still wouldn’t be profitable to open once I stopped serving food , there’s just not much money in drink
  • Options
    I could have a packed garden full of drinkers but with restrictions it still wouldn’t be profitable to open once I stopped serving food , there’s just not much money in drink
    There is if you're pub was in the south east. Getting to the point where a pint under 5 pound 50 is a result. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is if you're pub was in the south east. Getting to the point where a pint under 5 pound 50 is a result. 
    There’s a good reason the prices have gone up & I wouldn’t presume it’s the landlord making the money, I couldn’t run my business solely selling pints at £5.50 
  • Options
    There’s a good reason the prices have gone up & I wouldn’t presume it’s the landlord making the money, I couldn’t run my business solely selling pints at £5.50 
    I presume your not part of a chain. A lot of pubs I try to go to are either small local chains or freehouses (a rare thing nowerdays) they oddly (you might know why) have kept their prices to a sensible level.
     The big chains have all gone up in price.(wetherspoons being a exception but they always were) To the point they are even adding service charge to bring your drink to the table.
    Already had an argument about a 12.5% service charge for just that a few days ago. 

Anyway, I know they want/need to make some money back but the tax on it forces them to out price a lot of people who would spend their money on drinks which would possibly keep you and others afloat. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Croydon said:

Imagine buying a house next to a pub and then complaining about that pub 🤣
    Especially in Brixton!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    EastStand said:
    Croydon said:

Fairly residential, but it does have the overground going straight through it, and I'd say more noise comes from the train than the garden!

Real shame if it is down to neighbour complaints though.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    se9addick said:
    EastStand said:
    Croydon said:

Imagine buying a house next to a pub and then complaining about that pub 🤣
    Especially in Brixton!
    It’s like buying a house near an airport and then complaining about the noise after you move in.
    Or buying a house near a football ground  and complaining about people wanting to park outside your house.......the football stadium would have been there for years!
  • Options
    All together now' My old man's a dustman........'
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Not true
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    All together now' My old man's a dustman........'
    That's the one  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These places all out source their food to street food stalls in the garden

• Options
    smiffyboy said:
    iainment said:
    Not true
    Go on then?
  • Options
    Nice to hear pacha will take over Café de Paris it would be a shame to lose a venue like that , will be a restaurant, club & cabaret. 
  • Options

Busy tonight, although their prices may keep people away once more boozers are open.  £5.80 for a Heineken is taking the urine more than a staggering £9.75 for an Aperol Spritz!!!!!
    I'll not be back.
  • Options

Busy tonight, although their prices may keep people away once more boozers are open.  £5.80 for a Heineken is taking the urine more than a staggering £9.75 for an Aperol Spritz!!!!!
    I'll not be back.
    How the fuck can you drink in a pub located in a road with that name?
  • Options

I'll not be back.
    Its them Bromley boys Dave.

• Options

I'll not be back.
    Yup…..not cheap in the handbag. 
  • Options

I'll not be back.
    I was there at midday.
    £4.80 for a Guinness (pint).
    You shouldn't drink poncy cocktails :-) 
  • Options

I'll not be back.
    The boozer is actually on Park Road, a good spot tbf though.