Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Used to use The George in Beckenham for matches with the Charlton Athletic quiz team (B54s ?) back in the 90's along with The Greyhound in Sydenham. Pleased to see it's still open.
    They have had a revamp in there and it is more like a restaurant.
  • Options
    Agree with that, too many tables and no room to stand at the bar.
  • Options
    Have to say I'm really missing the White Swan for pre-match pints. Good to see the Royal Oak doing well but not quite my kind of pub, and a return to Rose of Denmark isn't that appealing. 

Any reports on what Bugle Horn and Hope & Anchor are like these days? 
  • Options
    Have to say I'm really missing the White Swan for pre-match pints. Good to see the Royal Oak doing well but not quite my kind of pub, and a return to Rose of Denmark isn't that appealing. 

Woolwich is decent and still able to leave boozer at 2.30 and get to the game on time.
  • Options

Woolwich is decent and still able to leave boozer at 2.30 and get to the game on time.
    If you're gonna do that then Greenwich is a much better option.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If you're gonna do that then Greenwich is a much better option.
    Too posh.
  • Options

Same as they've been for years.
  • Options
    Does anybody know of the pub off the A299 near Reculver called the Hog and Donkey. I wondered if it was still there.  It was set in the 1960's last time I visited and it was like going into somebody's front room.

• Options
    Sure it hadn't been converted to a residence and it was somebody's front room?
  • Options
    Does anybody know of the pub off the A299 near Reculver called the Hog and Donkey. I wondered if it was still there.  It was set in the 1960's last time I visited and it was like going into somebody's front room.

Closed a good few years ago, I'm afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Sure it hadn't been converted to a residence and it was somebody's front room?

A few years back now, but I seem to remember a pub type building from the outside with 60's furniture and decor inside  It clearly had a heyday back in the 1950/60's with coach parties going to Margate and the Kent coast as there were plenty of photos around the place supporting that.

It had a distinct 'local pub for local people' aura about it.
  • Options
    The Roman Galley pub used in The Jolly Boys outing is still there but changed to a nursing home and is now, i think , residential. Still makes me smile everytime i go past it on the A299, thinking of Rodney kicking the football.  All of those big pubs have gone now with the demise of the work booze trips to Margate. Happy days and wonderful memories. 
  • Options
    The Roman Galley pub used in The Jolly Boys outing is still there but changed to a nursing home and is now, i think , residential. Still makes me smile everytime i go past it on the A299, thinking of Rodney kicking the football.  All of those big pubs have gone now with the demise of the work booze trips to Margate. Happy days and wonderful memories. 
    Stopped in it, a few times on the way back from a work’s beano in Margate in the 80’s. Coaches had leave Margate before 6pm I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Stopped in it, a few times on the way back from a work’s beano in Margate in the 80’s. Coaches had leave Margate before 6pm I think.
    That’s right coaches had to leave Margate by 6pm. I used to go on the London Electricity Board beano out of Bexleyheath. We would stop in Roman Galleon on the way down and buy a ticket for the evening disco. They used to try an balance out the boys and girls so it wasn’t to much of a blokefest. Mate of mine met an married a nurse from Romford on one of our trips. 
  • Options
    That’s right coaches had to leave Margate by 6pm. I used to go on the London Electricity Board board out of Bexleyheath. We would stop in Roman Galleon on the way down and buy a ticket for the evening disco. They used to try an balance out the boys and girls so it wasn’t to much of a blokefest. Mate of mine met an married a nurse from Romford on one of our trips. 
    I met a nurse from Lewisham hospital, didn’t marry her. 😜
  • Options

Yes, I remember the Roman Galley.  The Hog and Donkey was over the other side of the road down one of the side roads.

• Options
    We're down to one pub down here in Shepherdswell now, The Bell.  The Bricks was shut some years ago and is now being turned into housing, and The Tipsy Gardener  (a fabulous Micro Pub run by an Addick) is now closed as they are taking retirement and moving.

The Bell only opens when they feel like it nowadays.

• Options
    We're down to one pub down here in Shepherdswell now, The Bell.  The Bricks was shut some years ago and is now being turned into housing, and The Tipsy Gardener  (a fabulous Micro Pub run by an Addick) is now closed as they are taking retirement and moving.

The Bell was our mate’s local, when he lived across the green. Spent many evening in there.
  • Options

The Bell was our mate’s local, when he lived across the green. Spent many evening in there.

Changed hands about four years ago, run by Jo and Steve. Steve still works full time and Jo runs the pub her own.  Great potential for a pub with a fully fitted kitchen but they don't do food, and the beers not that great.  Lockdown hit it hard as with most others, but it's run more like a hobby now than a village pub.

• Options
    For an alternative match day pint, the Crown on Trafalgar Rd, just down from Maze Hill station, has had (another) change of ownership (last year, admittedly) and now has an absolutely cracking selection of craft beer on tap if that's your thing. My new pre-match venue, followed by The Ale House after of course... Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For an alternative match day pint, the Crown on Trafalgar Rd, just down from Maze Hill station, has had (another) change of ownership (last year, admittedly) and now has an absolutely cracking selection of craft beer on tap if that's your thing. My new pre-match venue, followed by The Ale House after of course... Cheers
    So, going back to the 80's and forwards, what was that premises as I don't remember a pub being there.
    There used to be a KFC there or therabouts. 
  • Options
    So, going back to the 80's and forwards, what was that premises as I don't remember a pub being there.
    Looking at the building it looks like it's always been a pub, but I can't say I've ever heard of it either!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    been a pub for years @Covered End ... I've been here 25 yrs or so and it was here before me... The KFC is a couple of doors along
  • Options
    It was called Ricks Bar years back, it used to be run by the people who had the Mitre at Greenwich South Street, so you're going back about 30 yrs now. Don't know what it was called after Rick's bar though 🤔
  • Options
    been a pub for years @Covered End ... I've been here 25 yrs or so and it was here before me... The KFC is a couple of doors along
    @Covered End must lose all focus when he sees a KFC :)
  • Options
    I lived in Blackheath until 1987, up the top of Vanbrugh Hill and from 80 to 87 spent a lot of my time in pubs in Blackheath Village and Greenwich, yet don't remember this place, even though I reckon I'd been in them all.
  • Options
    It was called Ricks Bar years back, it used to be run by the people who had the Mitre at Greenwich South Street, so you're going back about 30 yrs now. Don't know what it was called after Rick's bar though 🤔
    Different place - Rick’s is a bookies now, has been for about 15 years.

The Crown is on the corner by the laundrette - has always been there, was rough for years. Got done up about eight years ago by the people behind the Duke in Deptford, but during the lockdown the freeholder took it back and relaunched it as a craft beer and pizza place.
  • Options
    Was going to say the same @InspectorSands ...and you're right about it having been 'rough'..that was putting it mildly...it had its licensing hours changed as a result of this and for a time wasn't allowed to open during the day, due to the 'unsavoury' crowd it used to draw...
  • Options
    Saw on FB last night that the Guy Earl of Warwick in Welling has been closed and is becoming a housing development.
    Probably old news on here.
  • Options
    Different place - Rick’s is a bookies now, has been for about 15 years.

The Crown is on the corner by the laundrette - has always been there, was rough for years. Got done up about eight years ago by the people behind the Duke in Deptford, but during the lockdown the freeholder took it back and relaunched it as a craft beer and pizza place.
    Am reliably informed it's pretty decent now.