Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham linked with Solly...........Again..!!

Comments

• Options
    If you had to lose one of Solly, Yann or Jackson......which would it be.

• Options
    Solly. We would get more and is an easier position to fill.
  • Options
    Will be sad if Solly does go but happy in the sense that he gets his shot at PL football, which he more than deserves. I just pray if we do end up parting ways the money is reinvested in the squad. If we got 4-6m for him (Should be at least 5) that could be the investment needed to push up into the playoffs.

RB isn't the most influential position and Wilson is there as cover, and maybe Cousins could step up for cup games next season. Would love to see what CP would pull out if he was given near 5m to spend.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Will tell me a lot how we are going to do next season. We are very close to having a promotion challenging side. I think it is fair to say, that we would probably have been the most likely team if we had reached the play offs. With success so close we can taste it, we are looking to the board to give Chrissy the support to push on - nothing silly but possibly improve us in one or two positions. Letting our best player go, certainly isn't condusive to having a right go next year.
  • Options
    seems strange that as our most saleable asset he has not yet signed a longer contract...
  • Options
    Mushy said:

I work with someone who is a good friend of Solly's and he says that Solly is expecting a move to WHU this summer. However, no bids have been made and a lot of details would have to be right for this to happen. He also said that in no way is Solly "screaming" for this move.

Not doubting your friend but why would Solly expect a move to a club that haven't even made a bid.

• Options

Not doubting your friend but why would Solly expect a move to a club that haven't even made a bid.

Agents.
  • Options
    Solly is going nowhere.
  • Options

seems strange that as our most saleable asset he has not yet signed a longer contract...

Probably because as of last week he hadn't been offered one.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

Probably because as of last week he hadn't been offered one.
    This ........ thought he had been reported as saying that he was happy to stay & sign a new contract but the club hadn't offered him one ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

cafctom said:

He is as tall as baines and alves. In the modern game as a Full back being able to defend and attack effectively is more important than height.

Both of which are utilized for their pace and attacking threat. Solly is very decent going forward but he's not going to smash in goals from 30-40 yards.

You obviously didn't see his goal at Blackpool then.

Of course I did. He's scored 2 goals in 100+ appearances. One was a screamer, one was a tap in from a yard out. My point still stands.
  • Options

Will tell me a lot how we are going to do next season. We are very close to having a promotion challenging side. I think it is fair to say, that we would probably have been the most likely team if we had reached the play offs. With success so close we can taste it, we are looking to the board to give Chrissy the support to push on - nothing silly but possibly improve us in one or two positions. Letting our best player go, certainly isn't condusive to having a right go next year.

This

• Options
    Those who don't think RB is an important position will find out if they are right if Chris is sold. I think we will be weaker for it even if (BIG IF) most of the money is available for reinvestment, which if we are as hard up as reported by some, it won't be.

If we were to let one of the very best young players we have produced go for a paltry £2m or so it would be a complete travesty. think I may have to log off CL this summer in the interests of my blood pressure.
  • Options
    Jaddick said:

Will be sad if Solly does go but happy in the sense that he gets his shot at PL football, which he more than deserves. I just pray if we do end up parting ways the money is reinvested in the squad. If we got 4-6m for him (Should be at least 5) that could be the investment needed to push up into the playoffs.

RB isn't the most influential position and Wilson is there as cover, and maybe Cousins could step up for cup games next season. Would love to see what CP would pull out if he was given near 5m to spend.

No way is Wilson acceptable cover for RB! In an emergency perhaps, but not as 1st choice...
  • Options
    If zaha is worth 15m then purely because he's a right back and they don't sell for as much solly is worth 10m
  • Options
    I pray to God Wilson is not our first choice right back next year.
  • Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy but I think Solly will be sold for a bit less than 4m and not much of it will be available for new players.
  • Options
    adrian said:

Sorry to be a killjoy but I think Solly will be sold for a bit less than 4m and not much of it will be available for new players.

Yep. We sell because we have to not because its our choice to improve the squad.
  • Options
    Solly is a big talent at our club, but outside of Charlton is he actually well known for his ability? Does anyone outside the club actually take that much attention of him and is anyone actually scouting him or is links to West Ham made from rumours found on message boards like here.

There are some good young right backs about this season. Kieran Trippier from Burnley was in the PFA team of the year and he is also 22. Sam Byram at Leeds is only 19 and I have heard more about him in the press then Solly. I wasn't impressed by Byram - Harriott torn him to shreds. John Brayford from Derby. Slightly older then the others at 25 but he has been linked to Premiership sides, the latest being Cardiff.

All I'm saying is there is a talent pool of right backs in the Championship and I'm not sure Solly would be as high up some clubs lists of potential signings as we all think. We all rate him highly but do other teams actually rate him?
  • Options
    good post and I agree. I said this before when Stones went from Barnsley to Everton on transfer deadline day for 3m. Younger than Chris but not as experienced but more the phsique that PL sides tend to look for. We all love Chris and he is great for us and long may that continue but I do think we tend to over-egg him. If he goes I don't expect to get more than 3m for him tops. Hope he stays though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Solly is a big talent at our club, but outside of Charlton is he actually well known for his ability? Does anyone outside the club actually take that much attention of him and is anyone actually scouting him or is links to West Ham made from rumours found on message boards like here.

There are some good young right backs about this season. Kieran Trippier from Burnley was in the PFA team of the year and he is also 22. Sam Byram at Leeds is only 19 and I have heard more about him in the press then Solly. I wasn't impressed by Byram - Harriott torn him to shreds. John Brayford from Derby. Slightly older then the others at 25 but he has been linked to Premiership sides, the latest being Cardiff.

All I'm saying is there is a talent pool of right backs in the Championship and I'm not sure Solly would be as high up some clubs lists of potential signings as we all think. We all rate him highly but do other teams actually rate him?

But clubs dont make transfers just by looking at what the media say.

Prem clubs have scouts all over the show. It would only take 3 games to realise that Solly is a class act.
  • Options
    Sell Solly for what we can get and get back Frazer Richardson (out of contract)!
  • Options
    West Ham wanted to swap Solly for Baldock last year but we wanted Baldock plus £2mill, so I suspect we value him around £4mill?
  • Options

But clubs dont make transfers just by looking at what the media say.

Prem clubs have scouts all over the show. It would only take 3 games to realise that Solly is a class act.
    No they dont go by what the media says but if you speak to Leeds, Burnley or Huddesfield fans about Byram, Trippier or Jack Hunt then I'm sure they can say the same as we do about Solly about them being premiership ready. Prem scouts would have no doubt watched them over 3 games and assessed them as highly as we do Solly.

Byram has been a consistant performer for Leeds this season so just watch a few games of theirs and I'm sure scouts will be following him.

Trippier and Hunt were both voted by players as PFA right back of the year ahead of Solly over the last 2 seasons. Clubs don't buy players on the assessment of the PFA or the media but for those 2 right backs to have been voted as better then Solly for the last 2 seasons says to me we rate Chris more then other clubs do.
  • Options
    I don't understand why Solly isn't more highly rated unless we're guilty of viewing him through rose tinted specs.
  • Options

I don't understand why Solly isn't more highly rated unless we're guilty of viewing him through rose tinted specs.

Rose tinted specs they may be, but we just as quickly dish out the dirt on those that we think are s**t! Fans player of the year for two seasons running in a squad that are performing very well, doesn't indicate rose tinted specs. He's the most consistent player and most talented player in our team. I'd love him to stay, but if he's hungry for personal success and wants to pitch himself against the very best, why would he stay?
    The question should really be, What is the best player at Charlton Athletic worth?

• Options
    I don't think we overestimate his ability. I genuinely think it's a case of other missing a trick.

Perhaps it's because of his size, perhaps because of his relative lack of attacking force (eg, in terms of assists like Tripper or head-down attacking forays like Hunt), or because he's not hyped up because he's the first prospect out of Leeds for years like Byram.

I also think a lot of the love we have for him is down to consistency. We see the good things he does and know it's week in and week out, home and away. If you see him on a one match basis he might not stand out as much.

Either way, I don't care, and I hope they keep missing a trick.
  • Options
    A lot of the time, clubs are looking for full-backs who bomb forward with good effect. Solly isn't bad coming forward but he's no John Humphrey.

• Options

In a funny way it's the other way round with Johnny Jackson. When you look at the CL ratings, he gets reasonable scores but is hardly the star, whereas I'm sure most the other clubs in our division (and their supporters) would see him as one of our key players, much more so than Solly.
  • Options

In a funny way it's the other way round with Johnny Jackson. When you look at the CL ratings, he gets reasonable scores but is hardly the star, whereas I'm sure most the other clubs in our division (and their supporters) would see him as one of our key players, much more so than Solly.
    This!

Hopefully Solly stays under the radar forever and stays here (too much to ask)