Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CP to Wolves?

Comments

• Options
    To be fair, I don't think Hope Powell should go there either.
  • Options
    The title of this thread, is about as likely as snow in Africa, just off to rest easy, goodnight all, over and out,
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The title of this thread, is about as likely as snow in Africa, just off to rest easy, goodnight all, over and out,

• Options
    Wolves is a nothing Club, no reason for anyone in work to want to go there. Powell is in the middle of a 'Project' at CAFC and won't leave until that is finished (achieved or failed)........he is that sort of person. When these lesser Clubs toss their Managers, good people like Powell will always benlinked.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Wolves is a nothing Club, no reason for anyone in work to want to go there. Powell is in the middle of a 'Project' at CAFC and won't leave until that is finished (achieved or failed)........he is that sort of person. When these lesser Clubs toss their Managers, good people like Powell will always benlinked.

Can't agree that Wolves is a nothing club. They are a big club with a long and proud history. Bigger than Charlton. That doesn't mean they can't fall from grace and get it badly wrong which they obviously have. They have made mistake after mistake and now find themselves in the third tier of English football just a couple of seasons after supping at the top table. Sound familiar ? The appointment of their next manager is crucial to what happens next. Get it right and they will be back up in a season or two. Get it wrong and as we know League One can be a lot tougher than it would first appear. Ask Sheff Utd. That doesn't mean that I think SCP would remotely consider this job right now but there will be a queue of very experienced and able managers both in and out of work that would see the Wolves job as a great opportunity. They need a safe pair of hands now. Jackett would be the perfect choice IMHO.

• Options

Can't agree that Wolves is a nothing club. They are a big club with a long and proud history. Bigger than Charlton. That doesn't mean they can't fall from grace and get it badly wrong which they obviously have. They have made mistake after mistake and now find themselves in the third tier of English football just a couple of seasons after supping at the top table. Sound familiar ? The appointment of their next manager is crucial to what happens next. Get it right and they will be back up in a season or two. Get it wrong and as we know League One can be a lot tougher than it would first appear. Ask Sheff Utd. That doesn't mean that I think SCP would remotely consider this job right now but there will be a queue of very experienced and able managers both in and out of work that would see the Wolves job as a great opportunity. They need a safe pair of hands now. Jackett would be the perfect choice IMHO.

Agree with that SHG pal
  • Options
    SLP showing what a joke publication they really are!
  • Options
    To be honest I'd be more worried if our boss wasn't being linked with other jobs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Wolves is a nothing Club. SHG is probably around the same age ( born 50s) as me and remembers when they were proper and big. In today's world they are minor. Think about it....they are more minor than Wigan, Swansea et al.
  • Options

Wolves is a nothing Club. SHG is probably around the same age ( born 50s) as me and remembers when they were proper and big. In today's world they are minor. Think about it....they are more minor than Wigan, Swansea et al.

Wolves have certainly fallen from their previous lofty status and I don't just mean the last two seasons but to suggest that Wolves " is a nothing club" is IMHO showing a very shallow view of English football. Wolverhampton Wanderers is still one of the biggest names in British football but I suppose it depends on whether you feel contemporary success is a bigger factor in deciding on the stature of a football club than history, size and past achievements.

• Options
    Wolves are a big club with a lot of heritage ( a bit like Wednesday ).

One of their older supporters suggested to me a few years back that part of their problem and psyche - passed down the generations - is that nobody is as good as Billy Wright and that team of the mid-50s. That partly explains why their supporters tend to be fickle.

It's easy to forget that Wolves had three consecutive relegations between 84 and 86 ( could they match that next season? I doubt it). We traded on their misery by taking the great John Humphrey and Pender on the cheap in 1985 and when they ran out at the start of the season in 1986, their supporters were chanting ' Who the ****ing hell are you" - not at the opposition but at their own team ( made up of youngsters and unknowns ). It wasn't until Steve Bull came along and got 50 odd goals a couple of years later in 1987/88 that they started climbing back up the divisions. They and Burnley also attracted over 80,000 for the Sherpa Van Trophy Final at Wembley in 1988 - an extraordinary attendance for a trophy which was even lower grade than the Full Members' Cup.

So a big club, certainly - although the story about Powell possibly going there is probably total and utter nonsense. The local papers up there need something to write about and also plenty of hits on their website for advertising purposes.
  • Options
    CP is bound to be linked with other clubs now he has had success. No doubt Leicester City will be the next one.

We had the same thing with Curbs when he had made his mark getting us in to the Premiership. Curbs didn't go anywhere whilst it was job in progress and I don't expect CP to either. However the only worrying thought is Curbs was backed by RM, a known admirer at the time, whilst it is believed that CP doesn't have the same relationship with our current chairmen.
  • Options

Sorry but whilst its hard to accurately state what makes a "big" club, I'm sure Wolves are a bigger club than Wigan. Not better, but bigger.

Oh and I'm in my 20's so Wolves glory days were a bit before my time :-)
  • Options
    So is a club big based on history or where they once were, or how many fans they've got or where they are now?

Because if we are talking about history Preston North End are huge.
  • Options

So is a club big based on history or where they once were, or how many fans they've got or where they are now?

Because if we are talking about history Preston North End are huge.

It's not just those things of course but although PNE were huge they have fallen and never bounced back. That flavours most people's perception.

• Options
    ...and Notts County. Massive.
  • Options

Ok I agree. Wolves are a small nothing club.

• Options
    There is no way CP would jump ship unless it was a job in the PL. Clubs like Wolves and Brighton are no bigger than us, in the case of Brighton smaller, whilst Wolves are like Blackburn, a basket case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Articulate, Good motivator, Good coach, views and opinions always worth consideration, appears to be able to spot players that will improve the squad, remarkable achievements in a short managerial career, appears to be respected throughout football, former international footballer who has experienced the game at all levels - why should we be surprised that other clubs consider Chris Powell worth a job. Championship clubs (Leicester City apart) I think would stand little chance of taking Chris away from Charlton but premiership would be different, lets hope he makes it with us.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Ok I agree. Wolves are a small nothing club.

Cross-posted , the Notts County one wasn't intended as a reply to your last post.
  • Options
    Most ridiculous comment on their board:

"Why wouldn't he come? In a year we'll be in the same league as Charlton, with a bigger budget, better ground, bigger fanbase and better infrastructure.

Ask Nigel Adkins why he dropped a league to manage Southampton from Scunthorpe, and look at the relative trajectories of those two clubs since (and his career). Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards."

Hmmm, don't be so sure you'll be out of League One as quick as you think. And to describe the difference in size between Wolves/Charlton as similar to that of Saints/Scunthorpe is absurd

And his user name is "Muscat".......
  • Options
    lmao talk about deluded.

Wolverhampton Wanderers are a perfect reflection of their hometown. Stuck in the past.
  • Options
    Not a chance of this happening.

And another club deluded about their own size.
    Similar to us in terms of stadium and attendance.

Look a little further and theyre now in the third tier, full of mercenaries and no stability. Theyre going to fail to attract new fans to the club with bigger (villa, blue noses) and better fry (stoke, west brom) within half hour.

CP has taken a team from a mirror image of that mess to where we are now. Is he really going to drop down and go to a club that mirrors our previous mess in so many ways?

If he stays with us next season CP will be reaping the rewards of his hard work with games against Forest, Leicester, Birmingham and the like. Next year WW biggest game will be against Coventry with local derbies against Shrewsbury and Wallsall. They might even take their allocation to Port Vale and remember how they used to play Stoke each year.

And for those suggesting he might go for stability. His status here probably saved him earlier this season. There he will have a trigger happy Moxey and fans that routinely call for the managers head (McCarthy, O'Connor, Solbakken and Saunders)

If he wants to go good luck to him. Weve built this club back up from nothing. They smash up their own stadium.
  • Options
    You only have to listen to his speech on the pitch and the end of the season to know he's not off
  • Options
    Bubble said:

You only have to listen to his speech on the pitch and the end of the season to know he's not off

Is there a link to that ?

• Options

Bubble said:

Is there a link to that ?

http://youtu.be/vj65US95nGg
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options
    I would feel a little more relaxed (not regarding Wolves though) if Gus Poyet got himself a job.
    Gus lives locally, and of course Diego is also working locally too. A tricky personal situation for Gus, no obvious vacancies locally except Millwall.