Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life: Harmonized

13»

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Kind of like some consider the BBC extremely biased in the UK.

If you had ever lived or visited a nation which tightly controls its media like China you'd realise how valuable the BBC is - yep it isn't perfect and occasionally does some stupid things like spiking the report into Maggie Thatcher's best mate Jimmy Savile and refused to play "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" on the R1 chart show, so I can see why people think it's biased. On the whole though most people around the world - especially those living in nations with heavily censured media regard it as a beacon of light.

The BBC was also banned in Burma for daring to report some news that was critical of the Burmese authorities.

They're the most biased media organization in the UK imo, nothing to do with China.
    Not really, the mail is probably the most biased of the mainstream but most of the written media lead with a political bias. The BBC are despised by the left and right so they are probably doing something right
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Really should not use a mobile to post! !!
  • Options
  • Options
    Think you made your point Kap10 ;o)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

If you had ever lived or visited a nation which tightly controls its media like China you'd realise how valuable the BBC is - yep it isn't perfect and occasionally does some stupid things like spiking the report into Maggie Thatcher's best mate Jimmy Savile and refused to play "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" on the R1 chart show, so I can see why people think it's biased. On the whole though most people around the world - especially those living in nations with heavily censured media regard it as a beacon of light.

The BBC was also banned in Burma for daring to report some news that was critical of the Burmese authorities.

They're the most biased media organization in the UK imo, nothing to do with China.
    Not really, the mail is probably the most biased of the mainstream but most of the written media lead with a political bias. The BBC are despised by the left and right so they are probably doing something right
    Papers have always been biased and I don't recall having to pay the Mail a compulsory fee to read any publication. The BBC on the other hand is supposed to the "flag carrier" and cater for everyone who pays their licence fee, which it doesn't do. Its okay for anyone who goes along with the Beeb to say they're doing a crackin job, but I don't and as I've paid the licence fee for the last 18 years to them just to own a blaaady telly, I think I'm entitled to say so, along with millions if others.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Kap10 said:

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Papers have always been biased and I don't recall having to pay the Mail a compulsory fee to read any publication. The BBC on the other hand is supposed to the "flag carrier" and cater for everyone who pays their licence fee, which it doesn't do. Its okay for anyone who goes along with the Beeb to say they're doing a crackin job, but I don't and as I've paid the licence fee for the last 18 years to them just to own a blaaady telly, I think I'm entitled to say so, along with millions if others.
    I thought you lived in France?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Off_it said:

BIG_ROB said:

Kap10 said:

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

I thought you lived in France?
    (I was waiting for that old chestnut) Only for the last 3 years
  • Options

se9addick said:

It would piss me off a lot less if my school didn't have the Union Jack over all it's material.

Wouldn't English be more accurately depicted by St George's cross ?
    So the rest of Britain don't speak English?

Ever been to Glasgow ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BBC works just fine.

There you go, BBC works just fine for the rest of the planet and it's still the most biased media organisation in the UK (imo).
    Nice to know the licence fee helps so many people around the world though!
    Every radio station and newspaper has an editorial bias depending on who owns it and what agenda they are pushing. The BBC as a publicly owned organisation should and proports to be unbiased but achieving that is almost impossible. Althought it has no editorial "line" to follow it has many and diverse editors and reporters who of course cannot help the way they see things or believe things coming through in their programmes and pieces. I think the BBC does a remarkable job and we would be a lot worse if it were to be lost to an un achievable quest for reporting that upsets nobody. I suggest people think for themselves but perhaps that is just as un achievable.

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BBC works just fine.

There you go, BBC works just fine for the rest of the planet and it's still the most biased media organisation in the UK (imo).
    Every radio station and newspaper has an editorial bias depending on who owns it and what agenda they are pushing. The BBC as a publicly owned organisation should and proports to be unbiased but achieving that is almost impossible. Althought it has no editorial "line" to follow it has many and diverse editors and reporters who of course cannot help the way they see things or believe things coming through in their programmes and pieces. I think the BBC does a remarkable job and we would be a lot worse if it were to be lost to an un achievable quest for reporting that upsets nobody. I suggest people think for themselves but perhaps that is just as un achievable.

Well said SHG, totally agree. Also, no pesky ads trying to get me to 1) Bet or 2) Compare bl00dy markets.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Only right wing nut jobs though Rob. Luckily we don't have any of them on CL... :-)
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BBC works just fine.

Every radio station and newspaper has an editorial bias depending on who owns it and what agenda they are pushing. The BBC as a publicly owned organisation should and proports to be unbiased

That was my point

Althought it has no editorial "line" to follow it has many and diverse editors and reporters who of course cannot help the way they see things or believe things coming through in their programmes and pieces

It's just that I always seem to see things the polar opposite way they all do on almost everything. Like I said, if you think the same way as the Beeb you obviously won't see anything wrong with it, but in my opinion there's far too many that don't and, therefore I don't think they do a very good job.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BBC works just fine.

Every radio station and newspaper has an editorial bias depending on who owns it and what agenda they are pushing. The BBC as a publicly owned organisation should and proports to be unbiased

That was my point

Althought it has no editorial "line" to follow it has many and diverse editors and reporters who of course cannot help the way they see things or believe things coming through in their programmes and pieces

It's just that I always seem to see things the polar opposite way they all do on almost everything. Like I said, if you think the same way as the Beeb you obviously won't see anything wrong with it, but in my opinion there's far too many that don't and, therefore I don't think they do a very good job.
    Perhaps you are doing exactly what you are accusing others of ? If you agree with something it says you might not even notice it, whereas if you disagree you pick up on it straight away. I don't agree with everything the Beeb says but I am glad that it has the licence to be able to say whatever and not have a Rupert Murdoch figure policing every word in order to push whichever policy line they feel best fits in with their agenda. If you give your editors no strict guidelines as to "a line" then you are bound to have many different views. Some we like and some we don't.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

It would piss me off a lot less if my school didn't have the Union Jack over all it's material.

Of course they do. But would you use those nations to demonstrate the English language ?

Being a teacher, here's your homework: what language would you associate with the Welsh flag ?
    As I said before, I certainly wouldn't use the SGC to demonstrate anything, as no one would know wtf it was.

I don't see how the Welsh flag is relevant, as it's not being used.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Of course they do. But would you use those nations to demonstrate the English language ?

Being a teacher, here's your homework: what language would you associate with the Welsh flag ?
    As I said before, I certainly wouldn't use the SGC to demonstrate anything, as no one would know wtf it was.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make my point well. The British flag represents Britain- which has three or four native languages. English is the native language of England (not Britain) therefore the SGC would more accurately represent the language rather than the UJ - which would be as misleading as using the Stars and Stripes, which was the original point.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Sorry, maybe I didn't make my point well. The British flag represents Britain- which has three or four native languages. English is the native language of England (not Britain) therefore the SGC would more accurately represent the language rather than the UJ - which would be as misleading as using the Stars and Stripes, which was the original point.
    English is the national language except for a handfull of people in certain places, but they all still speak English.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

English is the national language except for a handfull of people in certain places, but they all still speak English.
    So using that logic we should use the Stars and Stripes to reflect the English language ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

So using that logic we should use the Stars and Stripes to reflect the English language ?
    Dry up ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

You're missing the point, NO ONE would have a clue what the crazy red cross on a white backing is, so it wouldn't represent anything.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

You're missing the point, NO ONE would have a clue what the crazy red cross on a white backing is, so it wouldn't represent anything.
    Game, set and match ?

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Ah right, sorry, I presumed the red cross on a white background was synonymous with England the world over.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

BBC works just fine.

The BBC World Service is paid for the Foreign Office not by the licence fee.

Yep, occasionally they get things wrong and can occasionally be accused of bias to the left and/or right - but it's telling that they have managed to piss off both the Labour and Conservative governments (and parties) but the bias is nowhere near what it is at virtually every other media organisation in the UK.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Ah right, sorry, I presumed the red cross on a white background was synonymous with England the world over.
    You was wrong.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

An american congressman once said if english was good enough for Jesus Christ its good enough for me. ( this was when the cajun population wanted the USA to addopt french as the official lingo.

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

You was wrong.
    Aaaahhgg........ Bloody awful grammar from an English teacher :-)))))