Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ken Bates for Charlton...

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Off_it said:

J BLOCK said:

Off_it said:

Just who do people think will be riding into town with a pot full of cash?

Seriously.

Just open your eyes and have a look around at the investment in other clubs . Frightening.

Don't understand this point.

I think its highly likely people will come in for us.

Looking at other clubs who have been taken over they have been nearly all saddled with debt.

Despite that we are an attractive proposition based on location and facilities, If rumours are to be believed we need TJ and co to lower there asking price, that is all.
    I think you've just made my point.

Some people seem to be under the impression that a completely philanthropic "White Knight" will come charging in with pots of cash that he just can't wait to chuck our way - and therefore they are dismissing the likes of Bates.
    The fact is that almost anyone who comes in will be following the model that others have trotted out. The club will likely be saddled with debt, and when the cash runs out we'll be looking cap in hand for another White Knight to come charging in. It's like a merry-go-round.

I've no doubt we're potentially an attractive investment to some. I just worry about who these people are and what it means for us without a sustainable business model. And I don't just mean us not having a sustainable business model - we're one of many (if not all!).

What's happend at Portsmouth frightens the BeJesus out of me. That could be us.

My point wasn't stating that a 'white knight' would come charging in with pots of cash. Just that we are/have the potential to be an attractive proposition.
    I didn't say you did. You said you didn't see my point, so I explained.

Hope that's clear now.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

J BLOCK said:

Off_it said:

J BLOCK said:

Off_it said:

Just who do people think will be riding into town with a pot full of cash?

Seriously.

Just open your eyes and have a look around at the investment in other clubs . Frightening.

Don't understand this point.

I think its highly likely people will come in for us.

Looking at other clubs who have been taken over they have been nearly all saddled with debt.

Despite that we are an attractive proposition based on location and facilities, If rumours are to be believed we need TJ and co to lower there asking price, that is all.
    I think you've just made my point.

Some people seem to be under the impression that a completely philanthropic "White Knight" will come charging in with pots of cash that he just can't wait to chuck our way - and therefore they are dismissing the likes of Bates.
    The fact is that almost anyone who comes in will be following the model that others have trotted out. The club will likely be saddled with debt, and when the cash runs out we'll be looking cap in hand for another White Knight to come charging in. It's like a merry-go-round.

I've no doubt we're potentially an attractive investment to some. I just worry about who these people are and what it means for us without a sustainable business model. And I don't just mean us not having a sustainable business model - we're one of many (if not all!).

What's happend at Portsmouth frightens the BeJesus out of me. That could be us.

My point wasn't stating that a 'white knight' would come charging in with pots of cash. Just that we are/have the potential to be an attractive proposition.
    I didn't say you did. You said you didn't see my point, so I explained.

Hope that's clear now.
    Unfortunately not
  • Options
    Ha ha - I actually think we're saying pretty much the same thing, just in different ways.

Yes, we will be attractive to some - but who? People are dismissing Bates, but who do they really think is going to step in? You only have to look elsewhere to see it probably isn't going to be some cuddly fella who just wants to help us because he once had a nice pint in the Royal Oak.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Ha ha - I actually think we're saying pretty much the same thing, just in different ways.

Yes, we will be attractive to some - but who? People are dismissing Bates, but who do they really think is going to step in? You only have to look elsewhere to see it probably isn't going to be some cuddly fella who just wants to help us because he once had a nice pint in the Royal Oak.

I think we are, got it!
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2332970/Manchester-City-revenge-suite-new-London-base-dwarfs-Manchester-Uniteds--CHARLES-SALE.html

The speculation among the Football League hierarchy that Ken Bates was interested in buying Charlton has proved wide of the mark.
    Bates, 81, says he will be president of Leeds next season and that, although five clubs want him to get involved, Charlton is not one of them.
    Bates did mischievously suggest that Charlton’s owners were looking for a buyer. However, Charlton chairman Michael Slater said: ‘We are not interested in selling and it’s nonsense to suggest otherwise.’

• Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2332970/Manchester-City-revenge-suite-new-London-base-dwarfs-Manchester-Uniteds--CHARLES-SALE.html

The speculation among the Football League hierarchy that Ken Bates was interested in buying Charlton has proved wide of the mark.
    Bates, 81, says he will be president of Leeds next season and that, although five clubs want him to get involved, Charlton is not one of them.
    Bates did mischievously suggest that Charlton’s owners were looking for a buyer. However, Charlton chairman Michael Slater said: ‘We are not interested in selling and it’s nonsense to suggest otherwise.’

The most interesting thing here is the direct quote from Slater. If the quote is true then I take that as good news.
  • Options
    Well, that's put that rumour to bed then.
  • Options
    That is not true, they are for sale, or at least were 1 month ago.
  • Options
    My house if definately not for sale.

However, give me a million and it's yours.
  • Options

So journalist writes load of certifiable rubbish adding 2 and 2 together narks a few people and sets the story straight a few weeks later. Classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, a direct quote from slater! To be fair to him each time it's looked like some one very dodgy might be involved (wise, bates) he's come out and completely dismissed it.
  • Options

So journalist writes load of certifiable rubbish adding 2 and 2 together narks a few people and sets the story straight a few weeks later. Classic.
    In the meantime The Waily Fail site gets dozens of extra hits and makes more money... They are very good at it.
  • Options
    I am intrigued by the quote from Mr Slater. I suppose in his case actions scream whilst words whisper. So far as we know his actions have kept the show on the road, and to pretty good effect what with the appointment of Chris Powell, player recruitment, and on field success.
    One set of whispered words as it were is the famous bit about spending/sourcing/transferring £1mil per month into the club. These are actions too, and scream as loudly as our recent successes do.
    However what worries me is where the money is coming from, and what is the collateral (sp?). We are not balancing the books, so are we getting free gifts of money from somewhere? Are we using The Valley and any other of the clubs assets as security? Is the club, not sold, or unsold, or securely 'owned' or whatever running up incredible debts that means the four horsemen are saddling up round the corner?
    If we had Richard Branson as our owner, or the Sultan of wherever we would know where the money is coming from, and have a chance of knowing about our long term future, even if we are making losses in the short term.
    I can only hope the quote about not selling is that at the moment means things are secure and fine and dandy, and there are no club-threatening money worries looming.
  • Options
    Somebody bought us with a view to spending £20m over a couple of seasons, aiming to recoup double that figure should we make the Prem. Representing 100% interest earned over 3 or 4 years.

All this time, the £20m expenditure is secured against the fact that the club has property assets within the Greater London area.

It's like having a free bet, just as long as you have the £20m to lay out in the first place. you can always get it back - either through success, or asset-stripping if failing.

As supporters, we are in a very shaky position and pretty powerless.

When Lennie left us for Boro, he said "The club has never been in better hands, on or off the field", which I took to mean Alwen/Murray/Curbs/Gritt.

Very different today.
  • Options

Somebody bought us with a view to spending £20m over a couple of seasons, aiming to recoup double that figure should we make the Prem. Representing 100% interest earned over 3 or 4 years.

All this time, the £20m expenditure is secured against the fact that the club has property assets within the Greater London area.

It's like having a free bet, just as long as you have the £20m to lay out in the first place. you can always get it back - either through success, or asset-stripping if failing.

When Lennie left us for Boro, he said "The club has never been in better hands, on or off the field", which I took to mean Alwen/Murray/Curbs/Gritt.

Very different today.

Fair point. But I don't see the current board just sitting on their hands waiting for the day they can cash in. Look at the vast improvements they have made to our youth system for instance.At least they are showing some commitment.
  • Options
    Its patently clear to me to really get any form of regular communication from Mr Slater is too sign him up to another marathon - you won't be able to shut him up then
  • Options

Very different today.

Yes it is £20m (£7m a year for 3 years) but it is only a free bet if the club continues to deliver on the pitch and there is more money to fund losses OR losses start to shrink... And it looks like they will shrink next year with prices up and expensive players released.

As recently as Christmas there was a real risk of the playing side falling over and since then a finish of 12-14 was on the cards.

Having got this far I cannot see the board sharing the winnings or put another way, the price they put on participating in equity will be too high for most.

And yes the fans have nil power right now but this site and the new supporters trust are growimg all the time so we are starting to get our voice back
  • Options

Did he really say that? At the time, and not just in hindsight... The club was in turmoil in the summer of 1991, massive financial problems, the return to The Valley a long way off, didn't one of the directors go broke or something like that? It was only after this period that Murray became the main man.

• Options
    Yes, he really said that at the time.
    Return to the Valley was 18 months after LL went to Boro.
    Alwen was the main man, and took us back to the Valley.
    RM was a Director in the early 90's and took the helm as PLC Chairman in 1995.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yes, he really said that at the time.
    Return to the Valley was 18 months after LL went to Boro.
    Alwen was the main man, and took us back to the Valley.
    RM was a Director in the early 90's and took the helm as PLC Chairman in 1995.

Roger Alwen did not take us back to The Valley, even though he remained chairman. The heavy lifting in terms of retrieving Adelong (ownership of The Valley) from the control of a bank after Mike Norris went bust was done by Richard Murray and the financial security was provided by Martin Simons. That's not to say that Roger deserves no credit for pointing the way in 1989-91, but it was all about Murray and Simons in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next you will be telling me that the Boney M guy didn't actually do any of the real singing !
  • Options
    "Former Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has severed his ties with the Yorkshire club, by stepping down as president."

That's it then. He'll be our new striker.

• Options
    Or new owner?
  • Options
    He would be better up front.
  • Options
    Ken Bates has claimed he was sacked as Leeds president after a disagreement over travel expenses.

It was reported that former chairman Bates, 81, renewed a contract with a private jet company without the approval of the Sky Bet Championship club's owners GFH Capital.

Bates, who was on holiday in Italy when he received a hand-delivered letter informing him of his dismissal, insists he attempted to get in touch with the Whites' hierarchy to inform them of his actions, but to no avail.

Explaining his view of the situation, he told talkSPORT: "Basically I had a chance of renewing that travel expense contract at a price that is cheaper than existing and at the same time, more importantly, it was in sterling and protects Leeds' (accounts) because all gas is bought in dollars and most of

the handling charges are in the EC.

"So, I checked, very interestingly, with the solicitor who wrote me the letter when I met him socially and he confirmed that a director had the authority to commit a club or a company in which he was a director.

"So I did it and he left the details at the office, thought no more about it.

"That was on June 27. On July 24 I had a hand-delivered letter telling me that I had broken the contract or agreement and asking me for my comments.

"I immediately rang the lawyer concerned and his office was closed and I left a message on his answerphone on which I said 'there's a perfectly clear explanation for this, let's have a board meeting when I get back and we'll sort it out around the table'. That was on July 26.

"On July 28 I get another letter telling me they have terminated my contract. In all that time, not one person from GFH had rung me to discuss the matter.

"In fact, I've spoken to one of their directors on a very regular basis and he had not even mentioned it. There's nothing I can do about it until I get back next Tuesday and then we'll have to see what happens."

Bates has used a private jet to travel between Monaco and Leeds before matches for eight years and is adamant the contract he signed to become president continued that arrangement with the full knowledge of GFH.

He added: "If you look at the contract which they drew up - I only signed - I have been doing that mode of transport for the last eight years and they included it in the contract, so there's nothing new there, I don't have to justify it.

"It said it in the contract, which they signed."

The often-outspoken former Chelsea chairman bought Leeds in January 2005 and held power at Elland Road until signing over to GFH Capital in December last year.
  • Options
    Why do Leeds have a private jet contract in the first place ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Coz they're MASSIVE
  • Options
    se9addick said:

To jet ken to games from Monaco
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Hang over from their Champion league days?