Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

calls from microsoft

I have had a couple of calls from what sounds like a indian call centre saying they are from microsoft and that my computer is transmitting error messages, they want to talk through on how to resolve the issue, I explained I wouldn't be discussing anything with somebody ringing me out of the blue.They then said we would be removed from the microsoft server and not receive any more updates. Does anyone know whether is bona fide or some kind of scam.

Comments

• Options
    Scam.
  • Options
    PM me your bank details and I’ll make an inquiry
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Scam. Had LOADS of these. If they phone me when I'm particularly bored, I ask them which of my PCs is giving out the errors, and how they've identified it. Apart from a particularly inventive attempt to convince me that the CLSID uniquely identifies my PC (it doesn't) they usually give up at that point and hang up.
  • Options
    I've had those calls.
    Trouble is, my home computer is a mac.
    Strung them along for 10 minutes or so.
    :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeh. They'll ask you to sit down at your pc and they will talk you through how to give them your IP address. So that can access your computer remotely and get any information relating to identity, bank details etc you have entered into it. Sound as clueless and vulnerable as you can, get them to tell you 20 times what they want you to do then give them a talking to and ring off.
  • Options
    I tend to tell them they are through to the Garden Gnome Sales hot line, ask them what colours they want, what styles and how many and to have their credit card details to hand. It keeps them busy for ages because they don't gnow what a gnome is. Finish by saying you are having cow for dinner. Alternatively adopt a local accent, say the call has been intercepted by the Indian Police Service and that they can expect to spend time in gaol.
  • Options
    Scam.
  • Options
    How I had fun with these guys. They used to ring me on Skype at 1.05pm most days. Finally, I decided to play along with one of the Indian sounding guys and agreed that my computer was running slowly. As he started to help me, I asked him if he liked music. He said he did. I started playing the music I was listening to very loud. Then, after a minute or so I asked him he liked it. I kept doing this for 5-10 minutes after which he said he needed to get on with fixing my computer. I told him that was fine. He started to tell me how to connect to a website. I told him that I would do this straight away. Then, I hesitated and said that I couldn't find a dot on my keyboard anywhere. "It will be down the bottom right of the keyboard" he explained. I told him that I couldn't find it and asked him whether a dot was like a comma but without a tail because I could find a comma. Then, I asked him if he would like some more music while I looked very hard for the dot key. He told me that I must have typed a web address and that would always have a dot in it. I asked if I could use a comma instead and confirmed that I could not find the website if I typed a comma. I played some more music very loud. Sadly, though, he went and that was the end of the fun. They never came back at 1.05pm again.
  • Options
    I used to get loads of these calls.Total scam so ignore them. They threatened to remove me from the microsoft network etc. I told them they'd have to talk to my systems administrator and gave the microsoft helpdesk number. I havent heard from since.
  • Options
    Tell 'em you use a decent operating system that doesn't fall over when you fart near it. #Linux
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I tell them that they are an embarrassment to their country and it's population, and that their dishonour and criminality is why UK companies are relocating their call centres back on home soil, costing hundreds of jobs on the Indian sub-continent.

They usually hang up.
  • Options
    i used to get them regularly and had to seek advice on here as to whether its a scam.
    had fun keeping them strung along once i knew they were scammers.
    best one i read about was someone acting like a complete computer novice and when the operator was asking them to click "my computer" he would reply that he couldn't see "your computer".
  • Options
    They are always ringing me. I tell them to fook off. It obviously doesn't work. I haven't the patience to play silly games.
  • Options
    Bld_10a said:

Tell 'em you use a decent operating system that doesn't fall over when you fart near it. #Linux

and that nothing runs on.
  • Options
    They've never rung me - have i done something wrong?
  • Options

Bld_10a said:

???? Not a problem for me ??? Hope you like your viruses,constant updates/reboots,slow running,security like a tea bag. And you're paying for the privelage of all that cack !!

• Options
    People pay for Windows?
  • Options
    Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

???? Not a problem for me ??? Hope you like your viruses,constant updates/reboots,slow running,security like a tea bag. And you're paying for the privelage of all that cack !!

And that nothing runs on.
  • Options

Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

Wake up and smell the coffee ... it's 2013
  • Options
    Scam. But great fun playing them along when I am bored. Pretended I was deaf once and told the bloke to talk loudly. When he did, I said I was deaf not stupid, so don't shout at me. He then talked more softly, so I said to him I've told you I'm deaf, speak up. Went on for ages doing this. Finally got the bloke to hang up when he told me to open Windows and I said which one - the kitchen or bedroom window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

I dont like coffee thanks.
    I'm not a lover of Microsoft either nor am i a lover of Apple per se, but you have to back up your argument by providing examples -its no good just slagging off products that are vastly more in use throughout the world than anything else.
    I've worked for many companies in many countries across the planet, and how many have not run IBM or Microsoft? - you're right......... zero.
    Now, for the third time- and are you going to answer this time?.........
    Nothing runs on Linux - well, nothing of any significance anyway- but then again i'm sure you'll find something before Mummy sends you off to bed.
  • Options
    Northstand Steve , or any others on here , if you get a call from Microsoft , please can you ask them about the new Xbox One , announced today , if they can't answer , then put the phone down , thanks.
  • Options
    I want one of these calls, sounds fun
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Talal said:

I want one of these calls, sounds fun

ahhhh scambaiting. There was a case a few years ago where a scammer tried to scam someone into giving them their bank details but their 'victim' lied back and said he was the CEO of a production company who gives money out to people who re-enact famous film and TV scenes. They asked them to act out the Parrot Sketch from Monty Python. This was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3SqlK3jlc

but seriously don't listen to anyone who rings you up and says their from Microsoft, a bank, telephone provider, etc unless you specifically asked them to ring you. Definitely do not give them any personal information either!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I actually enjoyed that version...............
  • Options

Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

Bld_10a said:

I dont like coffee thanks.
    I'm not a lover of Microsoft either nor am i a lover of Apple per se, but you have to back up your argument by providing examples -its no good just slagging off products that are vastly more in use throughout the world than anything else.
    I've worked for many companies in many countries across the planet, and how many have not run IBM or Microsoft? - you're right......... zero.
    Now, for the third time- and are you going to answer this time?.........
    Nothing runs on Linux - well, nothing of any significance anyway- but then again i'm sure you'll find something before Mummy sends you off to bed.
    Everything that is run on Windows can be run on Linux, either via Wine / CrossOver / Virtual Machine. The only exception to this is some of the latest PC games which are released on platforms such as Steam.

I'm not going to go into the merits of either OS but the logic behind your argument is totally flawed.
  • Options
    Come on lads, give it a rest. The windows/mac/linux argument is probably the one thing more tedious than the Rangers/Celtic one.
  • Options
    My Dad called one of these guys a scam, and they thought he said scum, and got really aggressive and threatened to call the police. My dad was pissing himself and was like "yeah, go on then, give em a ring"
  • Options
    Scammers. Unfortunately they never call me. I'd love to give them the runaround. Coming mainly out of Calcutta from what I've researched, they tend to use Skype or Logmein.com to try and gain access to your PC.

String them along as much as you can, all the time you're wasting their time, they're not wasting somebody else's. Just don't let them take control of your kit. Video it if you can, there's a host of stuff on Youtube.