Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gibraltar becomes a UEFA member

1000/1 to qualify for Euro 2016. If theyr'e drawn against Spain it will be interesting.

Comments

• Split on this. Footballs a global game and everyone's entitled to participate but the last thing we need is another whipping boy. Maybe there should be a pre qualification round with Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Scotland and the like to limit the number of making up the numbers types.
  • se9addick said:

Split on this. Footballs a global game and everyone's entitled to participate but the last thing we need is another whipping boy. Maybe there should be a pre qualification round with Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Scotland and the like to limit the number of making up the numbers types.

oHHHH, a bit below the belt !!!!!!!!
    Lets invite Wales too !
  • se9addick said:

Split on this. Footballs a global game and everyone's entitled to participate but the last thing we need is another whipping boy. Maybe there should be a pre qualification round with Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Scotland and the like to limit the number of making up the numbers types.

You'll upset a few Jocks lumping Scotland in with Gib and the Faroes!
  • Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

You'll upset a few Jocks lumping Scotland in with Gib and the Faroes!
    Haha, my Mum and Dad are Scottish - I was up there for the Wales game and trust me Gibraltar would give them a run for their money right now !
  • In the past 2 years they've beaten the Faroes, Bury, Notts county and Portsmouth so on that basis they probably are about as good as Scotland
  • In the past 2 years they've beaten the Faroes, Bury, Notts county and Portsmouth so on that basis they probably are about as good as Scotland

In that case, let's hope Charlton don't get drawn against them in the Cup!

;o)

• se9addick said:

That's a bit harsh, dont think Faroe islands should be on that list.
  • redcarter said:

1000/1 to qualify for Euro 2016. If theyr'e drawn against Spain it will be interesting.

Won't happen. There'll be some political agreement that prevents them playing each other.

There are only about 1000 people living in Gibraltar, so expect them to get a thumping every time they play

• There are only about 1000 people living in Gibraltar, so expect them to get a thumping every time they play

Because obviously, only people who live there will be eligible to play.....
    ;0
  • redcarter said:

Won't happen. There'll be some political agreement that prevents them playing each other.
    Surely that's not possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2013

redcarter said:

Surely that's not possible.
    Correct, Serbia and Croatia are in the same group...

• Have Gibraltar ever produced a decent player before ? Up to now would they have been able to play for one of the other home nations ?
  • se9addick said:

Have Gibraltar ever produced a decent player before ? Up to now would they have been able to play for one of the other home nations ?

They do have four Manchester United players in their squad and a few Lincoln players.

However this is Man Utd Gibraltar and Lincoln Gibraltar : - )
  • Scotland will be a breeze for them after all the experience they will gain on July 15th!
  • From the Grauniad:

Gibraltar becomes Uefa's 54th member despite Spain's past objections

• Application rejected first in 1999 and most recently 2007
    • Victories in court of arbitration paved way for move

Share 60
    inShare1
    Email

Press Association
    guardian.co.uk, Friday 24 May 2013 13.52 BST

Gibraltar
    Gibraltar should soon be hosting senior football matches after being admitted fully to Uefa. Photograph: Design Pics Inc/Rex Features

Gibraltar have become Uefa's 54th member nation after the European ruling body voted for its inclusion at its congress in London.

There had been opposition from Spain but the Gibraltar FA won a case at the court of arbitration for sport obliging Uefa to accept the British overseas territory as a member.

The Uefa president Michel Platini said that Gibraltar would be kept apart from Spain in qualifying for Euro 2016. "Gibraltar will not play qualifying matches with Spain – we also have this situation with Armenia and Azerbaijan,'' he said.
  • If England were kept apart from countries we've had a war with then we wouldn't have any qualifying games to play.
  • redcarter said:

There are only about 1000 people living in Gibraltar, so expect them to get a thumping every time they play
  • I didn't even know they had enough flat land for a pitch.
  • No it's not.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Have Gibraltar ever produced a decent player before ? Up to now would they have been able to play for one of the other home nations ?

Liam Walker - currently plays for Portsmouth, Ah , sorry, you said 'decent'.
  • Apparently, they've got a rock playing at centre half
  • edited May 2013

I think that the Gibraltar stadium is actually in spain.

As Algarve says, the stadium is def in Gib, right next to the runway of the airport. Couldnt imagine Spain allowing Gib to play in Spain , could you?!
    Check out the following Wiki link - Stadium is in foreground 8 o'clock, Spain is in background, other side of airport runway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Airport_panorama.jpg
  • Apparently, they've got a rock playing at centre half

Trouble is - if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Or should that be apes?
  • I think I read they have the lowest population in UEFA but won't necessarily be the worst team. After watching England San marino on tv the other month I tend to think there ought to be a qualifying round before hand as well. It would also give realistic games for the minnows. I appreciate they want the opportunity to play against some of the best, but it can't be good for team morale when a good result is only losing by 4.
    Does anyone know if Greenland are still wanting to join and if they did whether it would be UEFA or CONCACAF?
  • edited May 2013
    Just heard that Rockall will be the next country to be accepted into UEFA.

Offhand, I can't think of a single player of their's playing in the Prem or other European leagues.
  • Is there actually a case that its potentially very dangerous to have a load of plumbers, teachers and postmen playing against world class professional athletes ?

Say Portugal play Gibraltar and some barman from Casemate Square breaks Ronaldos leg in a honest but late challenge I think UEFA will have to answer the question. I know injuries can happen in any game but in these scenarios aren't we just asking for it to happen ?
  • iaitch said:

If England were kept apart from countries we've had a war with then we wouldn't have any qualifying games to play.

We'd still lose to Portugal in the quarter finals. : - )

Don't think we've ever been at war with Poland and can't have with a lot of the new countries.

Of course Spain not playing Gib is closer to Argentina not playing the Falkland Isles.
  • se9addick said:

Is there actually a case that its potentially very dangerous to have a load of plumbers, teachers and postmen playing against world class professional athletes ?

Say Portugal play Gibraltar and some barman from Casemate Square breaks Ronaldos leg in a honest but late challenge I think UEFA will have to answer the question. I know injuries can happen in any game but in these scenarios aren't we just asking for it to happen ?

So, in which case, ban all Non-League teams from the F.A.Cup (think it was a bar-man who scored for Northwich against us) ?