Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gibraltar becomes a UEFA member

2»

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

Is there actually a case that its potentially very dangerous to have a load of plumbers, teachers and postmen playing against world class professional athletes ?

Say Portugal play Gibraltar and some barman from Casemate Square breaks Ronaldos leg in a honest but late challenge I think UEFA will have to answer the question. I know injuries can happen in any game but in these scenarios aren't we just asking for it to happen ?

So, in which case, ban all Non-League teams from the F.A.Cup (think it was a bar-man who scored for Northwich against us) ?
    No of course not. Historically non-League teams have competed in the FA Cup and it's an accepted risk. Gibraltar have not, until now, competed at international level so I'm asking if we should be creating more of these situations which, as the pace of the professional game increases become more and more likely that a pro will end up with a very serious injury.
  • Options
    Sorry se9addick: that came across as rude/aggressive. Not intended, was just asking a question.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Is there actually a case that its potentially very dangerous to have a load of plumbers, teachers and postmen playing against world class professional athletes ?

Say Portugal play Gibraltar and some barman from Casemate Square breaks Ronaldos leg in a honest but late challenge I think UEFA will have to answer the question. I know injuries can happen in any game but in these scenarios aren't we just asking for it to happen ?

I have played in a game where two (then) playing professionals played (one was playing for CAFC), believe me you would have to be a very good player to even get close enough to hurt players of that standard.

Most of the time they are about 10 seconds in front of the rest of the play, we once payed against John Pratt (ex Spurs) when he played for Mill Hill Old Boys as a 50 year old.

Our team tough guy tried to whack him all game and never even got close, he was different gravy to we park plodders.
  • Options

Sorry se9addick: that came across as rude/aggressive. Not intended, was just asking a question.

It's cool. I'm not even sure I'm right, I actually signed the petition to have Gib instated to UEFA. It's just the more I think about it I'm not sure if its a good idea.

That's interesting Ormiston - I guess though it just takes it to happen once, and adding more quasi nations to the qualifying rounds increases that possibility.
  • Options
    So, will Charlton be the first team to play the newly inducted Gibraltar team?
  • Options
    Prequalifiers have got to come in soon. Gibralter have one professional player. One.
  • Options
    Have the Isle of Man got a team?
  • Options
    What about the Isle of Wight?
    Or the Isle of Dogs?
    Sheppey?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

What about the Isle of Wight?
    Or the Isle of Dogs?
    Sheppey?

IOW have a league.

http://www.iowdfa.org.uk/

• Options
    What happens if Gib meet Spain in the final ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really stupid move on UEFA's part. I would full understand Spain pulling out of the next World Cup as a result.

What next? Some dick head in the Falklands claiming they should be allowed to take part in the south American qualifying stage for the next World Cup!
  • Options

Really stupid move on UEFA's part. I would full understand Spain pulling out of the next World Cup as a result.

What next? Some dick head in the Falklands claiming they should be allowed to take part in the south American qualifying stage for the next World Cup!

Totally disagree.

• Options
    This is why.
  • Options
    Can't see that map very clearly on my device. Is it showing the proximity of Gibraltor between the UK and Spain or the the proximity of the Falklands between the UK and Argentina?
  • Options
    No it is showing an isthmus of land attached to Morocco that is sovereign Spanish territory. I think you will find that Gibraltar is an identical scenario from mainland spain. Hypocrisy by the Spanish ? As for The Falklands I think it's only you suggesting that they appear in the copa del whatever.
  • Options
    Do the people living on this bit land want the right to belong to UEFA as well?
  • Options

Do the people living on this bit land want the right to belong to UEFA as well?

It's in Africa !

• Options
    Remind me again what part of the European mainland Israel occupies.
  • Options
    Using the logic that Gibraltar should belong to Spain due to proximity would also mean Northern Ireland should belong to the Republic. Let the people who live there decide their own destiny.
  • Options
    You certainly don't need reminding do you. I think when Israel were admitted to UEFA the rational behind it was that it would be impossible for them to compete in their own region. A special case I guess. Right or wrong it happened. As for Spain's objection to Gibraltar gaining admission to UEFA , that is purely down to recognition of the sovereign status of Gibraltar and a setting of a precedent. I feel that this stance is the epitome of hypocrisy given that the Spanish have a Gibraltar of their very own in Ceuta. Of course it's a mute point because whereas Gibraltar is a country in its own right and therefore can seek admission to UEFA , Ceuta is part of Spain so is already part of UEFA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aren't there two Spanish enclaves in North Africa ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Using the logic that Gibraltar should belong to Spain due to proximity would also mean Northern Ireland should belong to the Republic. Let the people who live there decide their own destiny.

Fair enough. When the nationalist population in Northern Ireland is greater than the Protestant, which is predicted to happen in the next 20 to 30 years, I hope you stick by that view and let the people decide their own destiny.

• Options

se9addick said:

Fair enough. When the nationalist population in Northern Ireland is greater than the Protestant, which is predicted to happen in the next 20 to 30 years, I hope you stick by that view and let the people decide their own destiny.

Yep, 100%. Although I hope by that time we will have demonstrated the positives of remaining part of this country, but if over 50% voted to leave the Union then that should be the decision, how could anyone argue otherwise ?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Self determination for the population is key. The recent referendum in The Falklands and repeated similar votes in Gibraltar. I dare say that the people of Ceuta are far happier being Spanish than Moroccan. As for NI. I agree. When there is popular majority for a change then the democratic outcome should be followed.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Yep, 100%. Although I hope by that time we will have demonstrated the positives of remaining part of this country, but if over 50% voted to leave the Union then that should be the decision, how could anyone argue otherwise ?
    I can't.
  • Options

How does England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Shitland have there own teams? They are not countries, but component states of the UK.
    New York is a state of the USA, but doesnt have a national side.

Scotland (I'll put your typo down do auto correct), England, Wales and Northern Ireland are countries (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom).

These four countries combine to form the United Kingdom. Your analogy with New York and the USA is inaccurate, New York is not a country.

Either way the separate identity of the home nations dates back to when international football was invented and the only two participating nations were England and Scotland. Then following WW1 FIFA was on its knees financially and England and Scotland played a friendly, donating all proceeds to keeping the governing body afloat. As a token of thanks FIFA wrote a letter re-affirming the home nations right to self representation - which you can see to this day in the fantastic Scottish football museum at Hampden.
  • Options

se9addick said:

So, in which case, ban all Non-League teams from the F.A.Cup (think it was a bar-man who scored for Northwich against us) ?
    It was a barman, MOG - and a part-time one at that, in between obligations as a student. Still trying to erase that debacle from my memory.

• Options
    se9addick said:

How does England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Shitland have there own teams? They are not countries, but component states of the UK.
    New York is a state of the USA, but doesnt have a national side.

Scotland (I'll put your typo down do auto correct), England, Wales and Northern Ireland are countries (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom).

These four countries combine to form the United Kingdom. Your analogy with New York and the USA is inaccurate, New York is not a country.

Either way the separate identity of the home nations dates back to when international football was invented and the only two participating nations were England and Scotland. Then following WW1 FIFA was on its knees financially and England and Scotland played a friendly, donating all proceeds to keeping the governing body afloat. As a token of thanks FIFA wrote a letter re-affirming the home nations right to self representation - which you can see to this day in the fantastic Scottish football museum at Hampden.
    thx for that.

useful bit of trivia and I had wondered