Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bayern Munich v Dortmund

13»

Comments

• Options

A little. But I don't buy the German love in. Yes they are more skilful at playing the English game, but I didn't find it a tremendous spectacle. Maybe I've drank too much beer.

Interesting view. What's the 'English game' in your opinion?

Personally, if those two teams had been playing in our league last year they would have finished in first and second imo.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It was a very open game with chances at both ends and I quite enjoyed it (more so that a Barca v Madrid* final I suspect)

Goalkeepers very good and I think Dortmund could count themselves a bit unlucky.

*I know there was still a bit of diving going but who game doesn't have that in!?

Sounded like a great atmosphere too!
  • Options

If people can't recognise that game as something a bit special then quite frankly I give up.

Well they certainly did in the Czech pub ( whose audience was supplemented by a group of young Koreans). At half time, everybody applauded. It was difficult going to the loo because you kept hearing all the shouting, and people had to brief each other on what they missed.

Sadly there is an element in England that just doesn't want to hear what we could learn from the Germans, probably because its the Germans.

I'm just sad at Bayern's Abramovic style antics in the transfer market, which will reduce the competitiveness of the Bundesliga.
  • Options
    Great game for the neutral. Plenty of good football, errors, chances and saves.
    Good to see an open final for once.
  • Options
    The bloke in the pub next to me said at the end of the game " that was as dull as ditchwater" it made me wonder why he bothered making the effort to go to the pub to watch it in the first place.
  • Options

The bloke in the pub next to me said at the end of the game " that was as dull as ditchwater" it made me wonder why he bothered making the effort to go to the pub to watch it in the first place.

Weren't there about 15 shots on target - hardly dull is it!
  • Options

Some people think that unless there are 10 goals in a game it's "boring".

A little. But I don't buy the German love in. Yes they are more skilful at playing the English game, but I didn't find it a tremendous spectacle. Maybe I've drank too much beer.

Personally, if those two teams had been playing in our league last year they would have finished in first and second imo.
    Think you're spot on. Dortmund were without Gotze as well.
  • Options

Ah but could they hack it on a rainy November night at Stoke....

:-)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I thought the game was like a game of cat and mouse, it ebbed and flowed, and when either side decided to up the anti , the speed of passing was electric.

Gutted Dortmund didn't win as I like their manager, seems a bit of a character, we could do with someone like him in the Premiership, to liven up a pretty dull league ( manager wise).

I know much has been said about how much better German football is financially run , etc, but am I right in saying that none of last nights goal scorers were German , not that it matters.

I'm not convinced Bayern will be the dominant force in Europe, that some think they will.
  • Options
    MIA
    You are right about the goalscorers, however the % of German nationals in both these teams and throughout the Bundesliga is much higher than for English players in the FAPL. which has clear implications for the national teams.

We will play them again soon, the Sun and The Mirror will get their stupid headlines out, we will match them for 30 minutes through sheer endeavor, then they will take us apart. The gap is only going to widen because they are just now seeing the fruits of huge changes they made ten or more years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there just more long term thinking in Germany and other countries compared to here where its all results and instant success.

Afterall if that had been Chelsea or Man City losing the final the media would be questioning the future of the manager!
  • Options

Haha, thing is, I'm fully expecting to hear that said in all seriousness within the next couple of days. Someone on the Charlton facebook page recently asked that very question about... Lionel Messi.

• Options
    Mr. Happy said:

Haha, thing is, I'm fully expecting to hear that said in all seriousness within the next couple of days. Someone on the Charlton facebook page recently asked that very question about... Lionel Messi.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of people who have bought into the whole "English football's the best in the world" - Spanish football is full of diving abd their league lacks strength in depth, Italian is too boring and defensive and German football lacks star power.

The above I'd all patently untrue but as a matter of national pride they'd like to cling on to the myth that English football's "the best", probably because the national team is so poor and because Sky do such a good job of selling the idea to us.
  • Options
    The EPL is miles behind what we saw last night at Wembley and is also behind Spanish and Italian football. However. It is the place that pays the most. That's all it has going for it.
  • Options

Is there just more long term thinking in Germany and other countries compared to here where its all results and instant success.

Afterall if that had been Chelsea or Man City losing the final the media would be questioning the future of the manager!

SH there is too much short term 'easy fixes' in our game at the top end , ie chuck a ton of money at a problem and hope it fixes it.

I think years of doing this are going to start to catch up with British football more and more, it's got out of hand and is unsustainable.

How many clubs in the Premiership, turn in a profit each year?

Arsenal and Man United perhaps?

How many clubs in the Championship?

Probably zero, if its not sustainable it's bound to end in pain in the end.
  • Options

The EPL is miles behind what we saw last night at Wembley and is also behind Spanish and Italian football. However. It is the place that pays the most. That's all it has going for it.

Really? The winning goal had "Sunday League" all over it - big punt down the middle and three or four defenders not covering themselves in glory.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Really? The winning goal had "Sunday League" all over it - big punt down the middle and three or four defenders not covering themselves in glory.
    Yes really.

• Options
    Off_it said:

I thought the winning goal was great
  • Options
    Fair enough.

If I was still playing (in the Deptford and District Dogshit Sunday League) we would have been royally mugged off by our manager if we'd let that one in - someone should have had their nut on the end of a big punt like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Excellent game. The quality of these big European games has improved immensely since the 70's and 80's when Liverpool and Notts Forest and the Italians were winning turgid finals 1-0.

But, without a shadow of doubt, Barcelona in their pomp a couple of years ago would have thrashed both those teams last night 3 or 4 to nil. The way some people on here have being dismissing the football played by Barcelona and Spain over the last 3 or 4 years as boring tippy tappy rubbish is unbelievable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Excellent game. The quality of these big European games has improved immensely since the 70's and 80's when Liverpool and Notts Forest and the Italians were winning turgid finals 1-0.

But, without a shadow of doubt, Barcelona in their pomp a couple of years ago would have thrashed both those teams last night 3 or 4 to nil. The way some people on here have being dismissing the football played by Barcelona and Spain over the last 3 or 4 years as boring tippy tappy rubbish is unbelievable.

Agree with most of that but I doubt Barcalona would have beaten either of those sides without conceding. Of course we will never know.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Fair enough.

If I was still playing (in the Deptford and District Dogshit Sunday League) we would have been royally mugged off by our manager if we'd let that one in - someone should have had their nut on the end of a big punt like that.

The orginal defending wasn't great but it was a nice lay off and finish (eventually!)

MIA - Very true,I think everyone including fans want ambition to be shown and success to come - were Pompey fans worried their future when they were winnign the FA Cup I wonder.

No doubt if we or Palace went up some will be saying we need to spend this and that...which wouldn't work for clubs like us who in relative term are small and don't get much money through gates etc.
  • Options

I see the English game as typically fast paced, pinpoint long range passing with an element of shorter passing, and MOST of all attacks built largely on the wings, as opposed to playing through the middle a la Spain.

SHG, I think I'm just getting bored by football generally to be honest. I'm sure the game last night was prolly a lot better than a lot of finals - can't remember much, thanks to sinking too much beer.

Still don't think Deutsch(Pole)land are the amazing revolutionisers people are making them out to be.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

But neither the move nor the mistake was typical of the game, was it? Whereas if you watch, say Stoke vs Sunderland, you'll see a lot of both.

Success is built on consistency. On the night, Bayern showed us why they are where they are. Dortmund didnt make their early superiority count, and they were already running on empty when they let that one in.

When you look at Bayern this season, the consistency is what is so terrifying. They lost just one Bundesliga game all season. They let in just 18 goals. They finished 40 points ahead of Schalke, a team who pissed all over Arsenal at the Emirates.

The only chink of light, if we don't want to see their total dominance ( I don't) is if Guardiaola feels the pressure to make his own mark, and tinkers with the setup. But you have to assume he's too smart to make that mistake.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thought it was a real treat of a game and the best CL final in years, probably since 2006 when Barcelona just got the better of Arsenal 2-1. Recent finals have either been cagey and without much goalmouth action or totally one sided where a team is outclassed by their opponents. We saw a battle of skill, endeavour and tactics last night and I think it'll be another few years until we get a final as entertaining.
  • Options
    I think SHG has this nailed.

I was in two minds about watching this but was glad I did. Excellent game.

As a dull aside, I really got a thrill when Neuer came practically to the penalty-spot to cleanly take a cross -I think from a corner - in a crowded area. You just don't see that anymore. Both keepers were excellent.
  • Options
    Watched it in a bar in California with lots of English mates. I thought it was a really good game and, probably, the best team won.
  • Options
    A very fine game, which Bayern ( to my regret ) deservedly edged.

About time a German team won the Champions League ( or, indeed, any European competition ). It's been a very long time.

Let's also not forget the uncompetitiveness of the Bundeslegia - won by an absolutely huge margin.
  • Options
    Robert Lewandowski's agent has said that he's moving to Bayern too. So that's basically Bayern's German title secure for next season.
  • Options

Thought it was a real treat of a game and the best CL final in years, probably since 2006 when Barcelona just got the better of Arsenal 2-1. Recent finals have either been cagey and without much goalmouth action or totally one sided where a team is outclassed by their opponents. We saw a battle of skill, endeavour and tactics last night and I think it'll be another few years until we get a final as entertaining.

2008 was a good game. Especially when Terry fell on his arse and cried.