Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The big question for the Palace board...

...will they have the morals to compensate all the local businesses (and charities!) that were screwed over when the club went bust?

Comments

• Options
    Of course they wont!
  • Options
    I was wondering that when the final whisle went today. All those people owed so much money watching Palace now celebrate arriving in the promised land with a windfull of about £120,000,000. It just doesnt seem right.
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    From memory, as far as the "small" businesses were concerned it was only about £5m that was owed - easily affordable now...

Yes, I know that the club was technically another company at the time...
  • Options
    Morals in football?
  • Options
    F-Blocker said:

From memory, as far as the "small" businesses were concerned it was only about £5m that was owed - easily affordable now...

Yes, I know that the club was technically another company at the time...

This bugs me. If they can take the league place, then how can it not be the same company?

• Options
    Why would Palace act any differently to any other business? We wouldn't.
    Not worth getting on your moral high horse about
  • Options

Oh yes it is. This is Palace we are talking about.

And it is disgusting and it ought to be stopped by reform of the way football is organised in this country. 120m. FFS

• Options

Oh yes it is. This is Palace we are talking about.

And it is disgusting and it ought to be stopped by reform of the way football is organised in this country. 120m. FFS

Haha. Righto Neptune ;-)

• Options
    Morals or not, i don't think we'd be worrying about it. Worst bit for me is I worked for their chairman for 8 years, he's a very shrewd smart bloke and I cannot see them doing a QPR. I expect they will go down next season as I think they need too many players to compete. But they'll be we'll set up for the next few years. How they scraped into the PL is mental.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't "just £5M"...Small matter of Selhurst Park with a £10m charge against it being rolled into the deal...the mortgage held by HBOS was written down heavily and 44% of that belonged to you and I !!!
  • Options

It wasn't "just £5M"...Small matter of Selhurst Park with a £10m charge against it being rolled into the deal...the mortgage held by HBOS was written down heavily and 44% of that belonged to you and I !!!

To be fair selhurst was owned by some property spivs rather than palace when it was bought so you cant pin that on them.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Morals or not, i don't think we'd be worrying about it. Worst bit for me is I worked for their chairman for 8 years, he's a very shrewd smart bloke

I've heard the same from people involved over there. Sure, they may get a tonking next year, but long term they may do a West Brom and build it gradually. I still think the QPR model is the one to follow. For P***** anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can't see them going crazy and signing a lot of big time unknowns or has beens and wasting all their money. They will certainly not do a QPR. Holloway is known for making silk purses from sow's ears. He won't go for superstars or greedy wannabes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie Adam and Darren Bent there next year along with a couple of expensive but promising youngsters from the championship. Holloway would just love to get Tom Ince
  • Options

I can't see them going crazy and signing a lot of big time unknowns or has beens and wasting all their money. They will certainly not do a QPR. Holloway is known for making silk purses from sow's ears. He won't go for superstars or greedy wannabes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie Adam and Darren Bent there next year along with a couple of expensive but promising youngsters from the championship. Holloway would just love to get Tom Ince

I can see it now solly to palace you herd it here first.... *shudders*
  • Options
    Tom Ince will go to a better team than Palace.

Think Palace will be like Reading - won't gamble too much, will cone back down, but unfortunately will come back down a lot stronger than they went up.
  • Options
    Most of those companies probably don't exist anymore.
  • Options
    May just do a little digging at work tomorrow...
  • Options

I was talking about the small local companies. People like the florist that supplies the arrangements for the lounges on match days. St John Ambulance were owed some cash too as I recall.

• Options
    F-Blocker said:

...will they have the morals to compensate all the local businesses (and charities!) that were screwed over when the club went bust?

My thoughts exactly http://chicagoaddick.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/not-bitter/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we are supposed to keep our language moderated but bollocks to Crystal Palace and their promotion and all that goes with it. I am giving it no further comment or thought. It's Charlton I am interested in. COYR.
  • Options

F-Blocker said:

I think they repaid back the St. John's ambulance in full.
  • Options
    @ChicagoAddick, top article (given the circumstances lol).
  • Options

F-Blocker said:

I was there today... I have never been at a game before to watch a team lose! And even found myself cheering on the Watford 41 - forgive me if I don't type his name. And at the end I had a revelation! My own I Claudius moment !

It didn't matter who won today!

As the final whistle went and I exited from my Wembley seat I took a minute to reflect upon the implications...Palace are not a threat in terms of fans but they will be in terms of Academy and poaching our players...but so would Watford or any club with a Category 1 Academy.

And suddenly it dawned on me that Prague Addick has been right! The massive increase in parachute payments mean that CAFC has c.12 months before the door virtually closes on the Premier League !

The two teams on show today were both so appallingly bad that the Addicks would have wiped the floor with them... especially with Solly nibbling Zaha's ankles! But all three clubs promoted from the Championship this season appear to be well managed by shrewd owners ... it is likely that 2 out of 3 or more will come straight back down with pockets laden with gold. Perhaps accompanied by Newcastle or Stoke?

This in turn gives the current stewards of CAFC just two more transfer windows to enhance the squad before the odds change dramatically against them... next season will look a lot like last season but 2014/15 is going to be very different.
  • Options
    Shelvey to Palace on loan
  • Options
    Burnley Blackpool wolves Birmingham, Boro Blackburn have hardly set the world a light since relegation.

Higher prize money will only mean higher transfer fees and wages. The last deal saw the likes of Henderson and Carroll moving for £50m combined, can only see the price of average players getting higher

CCC clubs will be getting a lot of loan players in the coming years
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    "The new Premier League TV deal will see top-flight sides receive £55m and even if the play-off final winners are relegated after just one season, they will be given around £60m in parachute payments over the course of four seasons."

120m for Palace over the next five seasons and closer to 175m over six if they manage to stay up. 24/30m worth per season until 2018/19. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • Options
    Laugh at the freaks who thought going up wouldn't be a good thing for our club and cry at the reality that palace have done it

Palace aren't run by egomaniacs they'll be a much much stronger club now unfortunately and will have a lot of newbie fans that will stay with their club for a while
    obviously with relegation some will dwindle away but a few will stay like happened with us
    Sad times but remember its not millwall
    *deep breath*
  • Options
    Give me Parish and his fellow directors over the spivs in charge at The Valley.
  • Options
    Of course, all of that money is no guarantee of success (and I would actually worry for Powell's future should we have got promoted but failed to stay up :-( ) but with clever owners and management, that 120m of extra funding could've done wonders for setting us up over the next 10+ years.