Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Fall............anyone watching?

Is anyone watching this Monday night Gillian Anderson 5 part serial about a lady killer? It came on recommendation but having caught up on the first 2 parts and then watching last night's 3rd episode I'm thiking that this is a pile of rubbish. Seems poorly scripted and directed with plot lines all over the place to the extent that you lose to will to care. Is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    The fact that it needs subtitles for the Norn Iron accents doesn't help.
  • Options
    Trying to have a different slant on this. We know who the killer is but they don't. Good idea but it doesn't work here. The acting is wooden to say the least and has Gillian Anderson a few skeletons in her closet?? To be honest, I'm past caring
  • Options
    I like it. Although haven't seen ep 3 yet. Chilling. can't watch it too late at night as it is disturbing. love the lack of dialogue. Just what exactly is going through the killer's mind.
  • Options
    I'm with the Sausage, Its great - much better than the usual formulaic stuff elsewhere, a bit of a killing/scandi rip off but still good. Gillian Anderson is very good and i would love to.
  • Options
    NO!!! Absolutely hacked off with this. I got all excited thinking I was going to see a Mark E Smith special and got some old drama rubbish.
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying it. Plot lines all coming together as far as I can see (para-militaries on both sides of the divide) and Sralan makes a good point re us knowing the killer from the outset. Gillian Anerson's English accent is convincing and she playing a challenging female role well.
  • Options
    Enjoying it but maybe it could have been done and dusted in three episodes. Don't agree on the "wooden acting" comment I especially like the actor playing the murderer very menacing. But guys Gillian Anderson is hot don't you think? well I would!
  • Options

I'm really enjoying it. Plot lines all coming together as far as I can see (para-militaries on both sides of the divide) and Sralan makes a good point re us knowing the killer from the outset. Gillian Anerson's English accent is convincing and she playing a challenging female role well.

She lived in London as a child and attended the National Theatre course at Cornell University. She is also one of those people whose accent changes depending on her location. In the US she tends to have a US accent but when interviewed over here speaks with a British accent.

And yes she is a hottie.
  • Options
    Gillian Anderson is one of my top three fantasy shags, and has been on that list for twenty years. She looks just as good now as she did back in her X-Files heyday.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thought its been ok so far. Not seen last nights yet though. Had my suspicions it might turn into a pile of cack when the missus said "he was in holby city" and "she was on hollyoaks."

Anderson parading around in a bra & knickers did keep my interest levels up though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She lived in London as a child and attended the National Theatre course at Cornell University. She is also one of those people whose accent changes depending on her location. In the US she tends to have a US accent but when interviewed over here speaks with a British accent.

Didn't know that but helps explain why it's so good.
  • Options
    Appallingly scripted. I think the cast is actually very good, and the casting director did an excellent job. Gillian Anderson soliloquy to everyone for five minutes, with her A1 psychological profile was both hilarious and turgid. People watch these things and believe the police, and their techniques and strategies are succinct and sharper than Ockham's razor. Serial killers tend to be 25-35, unless they don't get caught! They tend to have above average intelligence whilst having achieved less than they believed they deserved.

Good acting, but I couldn't watch another moment. A police drama following the multitude of failed cases would be a breath of fresh air. Such as trampled crime scenes, discounted lines of inquiries, dickhead criminal profilers covering themselves in jujupidity, politically and press febrile intrusion, concentrating on mental health sub IQ misfits who have little to do with the case. Personally I'd love to see a drama on the explosion on the USS Iowa batleship, where the pressure was not to forensically investigate but apportion blame, so they made a ludicrous story up of gay sabotage. Police follow their own narrative, some have the brains to piece together forensic evidence, some use the statistics of Professors who don't understand statistics, and plenty miss copious amounts of evidence. This isn't to say they're not very clever, just that many cases without a lucky break or repetitions are damn hard to break.
  • Options
    Caught up with the 3rd episode last night. I like it.
    She's so cold towards everything and everyone. Didn't like it when he went in that house and left the kid outside (although he's done a lot worse so don't know why that bothered me so much!)
    How many episodes are there? feel like if there are only 4 they'd have to rush it to finish but 6 would be too many and it might get silly?
  • Options
  • Options
    Is there anywhere I can catch all of the episodes? Have not seen any.
  • Options
    iplayer probably?
  • Options
    Thanks Suzi. I thought the content was only available for a week but it looks like a month.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just caught up with Ep 3. A bit different and quite well done, but totally far-fetched in the profile of the killer. They don't tend to be married with two kids and grief counsellors but never mind! Actually makes me worry a bit about what's going on in the life and mind of the writer of the series...

And yes, Mr W agrees with GA comments above. He still frequently reminds me what a great wife I am for taking him to see her in a West End show a while ago where she was naked under the covers just a few feet in front of him....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny how we all see things differently, think it's been one of the best things I've seen on British tv for years.

The acting has been superb from Anderson and the bearded fella.
  • Options
    I really enjoy it. The fact that the serial killer is not nutcase loner is if not an actual first then certainly one of the first - I guess the fact that the high profile ones in the media tend to all fit a certain profile shows you just can't tell. Shipman was married with kids and a GP and he's one of the most prolific killers in history after all.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Funny how we all see things differently, think it's been one of the best things I've seen on British tv for years.

The acting has been superb from Anderson and the bearded fella.

totally agree
  • Options
    So, the killer is a councillor by day. Does his wife not think it strange that he also works nights? This is the part of the plot that just doesn't add up for me.
    Any suggestions or did I missed something important at the beginning?
  • Options
    Works in evenings for the samaritans. Sorry to be pedantic sralan but he is a bereavement counsellor.
  • Options
    Well, the cops should have some decent stuff to work on after last night but do you think his main threat of exposure will come from elsewhere. Presumably the corruption sub-plot will tie in further with the main one though it's been a distraction so far. Hard to believe John Lynch (the top cop) is now a greybeard, where does it go?
  • Options
    was gutted when the credits rolled last night. could have watched an hour of it right then!
  • Options

Works in evenings for the samaritans. Sorry to be pedantic sralan but he is a bereavement counsellor.

Thanks for clearing that up bb. I will not hold it against you, being so pedantic :-)

• Options
    The scene where the killer attacks the girl and her boyfriend was amazing last night. It felt very real.
    Also , am i the only one who gets the feeling that the Gillian Anderson character is into woman as well as men ?
  • Options
    just wishful thinking on your part beds:)