Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

reforming bands/rock acts

There are a countless amount of classic rock groups 're-uniting and coming back on the scene doing tours etc. Almost a domino effect...It's great for the fans but isn't it a time where you just leave it alone as you probably already have enough money in the bank.
Of course it's going to generate more interest than say if JLS do a comeback in 20 years (laughable) but Noel Gallagher said if oasis were to reform it would only be if him and liam were skint and that's unlikely to happen.

Of course if someone said here's rolling stones tickets or for David bowie I would happily accept (listening to rebel rebel right now)

It's just a shame that classics can't just stay classic.

Comments

• Options
    Love to see The Jam meself
  • Options
    I agree to an extent, but I'd rather see a reformed 'classic' act than most of the modern shite that's about in rock.

Alice In Chains came back after 14 years away with a new singer after the previous one died. They're one of the very few rock bands I know who have pulled it off and have re-established themselves without the "reformed/comeback" tag. Great new album too.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Was just about to say the same thing Rob. My other regret was never seeing the clash, but that ain't never gonna happen now...............
  • Options
    Cant wait to see the stones at Glastonbury
  • Options
    I can understand from a bands perspective that touring must be one of those grass-is-greener things: Dull when done to much, but miss it when it stops. I can understand as well why fans want to see a comeback - especially when it's billed as "last chance to see". Still not my cup of tea though, I'd rather remember them at their peak. That said, The Who were without a doubt the highlight of The Olympic Opening Ceremony, so if your good enough, why not?

What I'll never understand are the prices that are charged to see so-called tribute acts.
  • Options
    The Led Zep reunion a few years back was incredibly popular with the fans. Just wish they'd buckle to the pressure and say they'll do it again - preferably a tour!
  • Options
    Being a mere slip of a lad, I was too young to have seen Cream in 1968, and like millions of others I missed out on tickets for their reunion gigs at the Albert Hall in 2005. A few weeks ago I attended a screening of the new documentary 'Beware of Mr Baker' at the Curzon Soho, followed by a Q&A session with Ginger himself. I've loved his drumming for forty years - but he refused to sign my copy of his autobiography!

It's a bit sad when a musician ends up playing in his own tribute band. The great Ray Manzarek (RIP) did this. The Zombies and The Strawbs are playing the Indigo on Saturday.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Was just about to say the same thing Rob. My other regret was never seeing the clash, but that ain't never gonna happen now...............
    If I said I saw the Jam supporting the Clash (Buzzcoks were also on the bill) would that be annoying : - )
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

If I said I saw the Jam supporting the Clash (Buzzcoks were also on the bill) would that be annoying : - )
    Not as annoying as the majority of your other posts....

: P
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

They're meant to annoy certain people : - )

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ginger Baker..........great drummer but a real twat of a man.
  • Options
    Depends if bands are reforming for artistic or financial reasons.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

They're meant to annoy certain people : - )

Well I ain't sure if they annoy them, but they do me.

; )
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Not in the slightest as I was there too! That was the White Riot tour, I think - I am struggling to remember the venue though. I think it was at the Rainbow (or whatever it was called at the time). Weren't X-Ray Spex on the bill too?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

The Led Zep reunion a few years back was incredibly popular with the fans. Just wish they'd buckle to the pressure and say they'll do it again - preferably a tour!

Nah, hopefully that ship has sailed...

• Options
    edited May 2013

The Zombies and The Strawbs are playing the Indigo on Saturday.

I saw the Strawbs last year .... all very mellow and a bit like "Last of the Summer Wine".

• Options
    sralan said:

Sadly, you are spot on, sralan. Even a fellow top drummer, Simon Kirke I think, says in the documentary: "I admire Ginger as a drummer, but not as a person." Did you know that after being exiled in Hawaii, Colorado, Jamaica, Italy and South Africa, Ginger is now living in a bungalow in Canterbury.

• Options
    The Smiths...all day long
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The Zombies and The Strawbs are playing the Indigo on Saturday.

I saw the Strawbs last year .... all very mellow and a bit like "Last of the Summer Wine".

At 68 years of age, Colin Blunstone must be top of the tree for vocal power and perfection.

He's my mate too, so don't dis him...GOT IT :-)

• Options
    Ginger Baker is one of the greatest drummers ever but what an arse hole he is. As for Led Zeppelin Robert Plant said "I have no desire to relive my 20's in my 60's" which is a great shame as their reunion concert was one of the best rock concerts I have ever seen (albeit on Bluray) and any tour would sell out immediately.

Trouble is all my favourite bands have lost members who have died but one possibility would be the original Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, Danny Kirwen and Jeremy Spencer on guitars to hear them play "Oh Well" again would be awesome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Wow! Three of my top 5 bands in there! Once got backstage to a Buzzcocks after-show party!
  • Options
    saw Peter Daltrey & Kaleidoscope in Austin recently - truly magical show from the most under-rated band of the late 60s. Met him afterwards - a really nice chap as well. Eddie Pumer the original guitarist & subsequent music industry lynchpin is from Woolwich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDrRZykmtFg
  • Options
    I only managed to see the Clash after Mick Jones had been booted out :(
    My own fault for not paying enough attention.
    Generally I'm with Robert Plant on this, I've seen him on his own and it doesn't really do it for me, but I admire the fact he's ploughing his own way. Same with Weller, I've not cared for much of his post Jam/Style Council output, but he's doing what he wants to as an artist and good luck to him. Can you imagine how dull it must be to play through the same few songs time and time again when you want to write something new? Fair play to those artists who make it clear and do their own thing - they may get much smaller audiences but they at least have the freedom to create something new.
    I remember seeing the Pogues a few years back; they were great but it was noticeable when they did stuff from albums 4-6 that the audience quietened down. I can see why they all do other things as well.
  • Options
    Many thanks, BFR: I was there in the audience, but hadn't seen the clips until now. Actually, the Q&A session was a bit of an embarrassment: Ginger was antagonistic towards the interviewer and barely responsive to questions from the audience. The film is engaging, with some terrific rare footage of the Graham Bond Organisation, Cream and Blind Faith, though his resentment about virtually everything is wearisome. Ginger is a local lad, born in Lewisham Hospital and brought up in Eltham.

• Options

Many thanks, BFR: I was there in the audience, but hadn't seen the clips until now. Actually, the Q&A session was a bit of an embarrassment: Ginger was antagonistic towards the interviewer and barely responsive to questions from the audience. The film is engaging, with some terrific rare footage of the Graham Bond Organisation, Cream and Blind Faith, though his resentment about virtually everything is wearisome. Ginger is a local lad, born in Lewisham Hospital and brought up in Eltham.

Wish that I had not seen that, a borish man who I had the greatest regard for as a drummer, Cream were a great band, Blind faith, well it went rather downhill from there with a few moments on Airforce . The poor bloke does seem rather bitter and rather upset with the world, perhaps he has reason to be, who knows. Not sure about the Hendrix death, but then all sorts of myths are around about that one?. Ginger will be remembered as a great drummer, who played in a great group Cream, I would like to leave it at that.

• Options

Wish that I had not seen that, a borish man who I had the greatest regard for as a drummer, Cream were a great band, Blind faith, well it went rather downhill from there with a few moments on Airforce . The poor bloke does seem rather bitter and rather upset with the world, perhaps he has reason to be, who knows. Not sure about the Hendrix death, but then all sorts of myths are around about that one?. Ginger will be remembered as a great drummer, who played in a great group Cream, I would like to leave it at that.

One of Ginger's biggest beefs is that Jack Bruce gets most of the royalties from Cream because he is credited as the writer, while Ginger says he had a big input in the arrangements which goes unrewarded. He was truly innovative as a drummer, the first to bring a jazz technique to a rock context; he famously said: "Cream were actually a jazz band, except that Jack and I forgot to tell Eric." He is still gigging with his combo Jazz Confusion: they played in London a few weeks ago.

• Options

Going to see Mott the Hoople at the O2 in Nov. Just seen that Trevor Bolder died this week (RIP) for all Bowie types out there.
  • Options

sralan said:

Sadly, you are spot on, sralan. Even a fellow top drummer, Simon Kirke I think, says in the documentary: "I admire Ginger as a drummer, but not as a person." Did you know that after being exiled in Hawaii, Colorado, Jamaica, Italy and South Africa, Ginger is now living in a bungalow in Canterbury.

It always amazes me where all these greats end up living a lot of people think that Jack Bruce still lives on his own Scotish island, in fact he sold that in the mid 1980's and for several years has lived near Halstead in Essex .
  • Options
    I'm certain that Bowie is only a short time away from announcing a tour, all part of his master plan to dominate 2013, which to be fair he has. I'm a huge Bowie fan and have been for the best part of 40 years. I got to see him in the early 80's and he was simply brilliant, unfortunately he went downhill from there, the next two tours were bloody awful.
    Although I enjoyed Let's Dance as an album it wasn't real Bowie, very commercial. As far as I'm concerned he hasn't done anything decent since Scary Monsters and I have all subsequent albums. The latest one, The Next Day, is probably about the best.
    I would have no interest in seeng him live again just as I wouldn't the Stones. I saw them 20 odd years ago and they were good but I sold my tickets for this years concert. I'm only seeing the Who next month because I'm taking my boys.