Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

reforming bands/rock acts

2»

Comments

• Options
    As Frank Zappa had it (and was sued by the Beatles): 'We're Only In It For The Money'
  • Options

Many thanks, BFR: I was there in the audience, but hadn't seen the clips until now. Actually, the Q&A session was a bit of an embarrassment: Ginger was antagonistic towards the interviewer and barely responsive to questions from the audience. The film is engaging, with some terrific rare footage of the Graham Bond Organisation, Cream and Blind Faith, though his resentment about virtually everything is wearisome. Ginger is a local lad, born in Lewisham Hospital and brought up in Eltham.

Wish that I had not seen that, a borish man who I had the greatest regard for as a drummer, Cream were a great band, Blind faith, well it went rather downhill from there with a few moments on Airforce . The poor bloke does seem rather bitter and rather upset with the world, perhaps he has reason to be, who knows. Not sure about the Hendrix death, but then all sorts of myths are around about that one?. Ginger will be remembered as a great drummer, who played in a great group Cream, I would like to leave it at that.

One of Ginger's biggest beefs is that Jack Bruce gets most of the royalties from Cream because he is credited as the writer, while Ginger says he had a big input in the arrangements which goes unrewarded. He was truly innovative as a drummer, the first to bring a jazz technique to a rock context; he famously said: "Cream were actually a jazz band, except that Jack and I forgot to tell Eric." He is still gigging with his combo Jazz Confusion: they played in London a few weeks ago.

Nothing but the highest regard to him as a drummer, but as you mention Jack Bruce, I spoke to Ginger outside the New victoria theatre as I had just seen Jack's band, I think it was at the time of 'out of the storm' I thought it was a great gig, and Jack although having 'issues' at the time put on a great show, quite jazz inspired. I remarked to Ginger, that I enjoyed the concert, he replied 'did you, I did'nt'. I thought at the time he was just being a bit awkward,or thought I was a bit forward in asking him, but I understand he had quite a dislike of jack, comments about being in Africa was not far apart, and so on. Did not stop him playing with Jack for the re-union though, but I guess we can always change our minds. Cream are probably my favourite band of all time, and with my love of jimi and Rory, that takes some doing?
  • Options
    Great story, Ken. Ginger's rudeness obviously hasn't abated since you spoke to him outside the New Victoria Theatre all those years ago, because after the screening at the Curzon earlier this month I saw him having a fag outside and politely asked if he would sign my copy of his autobiography. I have loved his drumming for 40 years, and he brusquely said "No", and walked off down the street! I mean, how can you NOT sign your own autobiography? The fan behind me said "Nice try", and I reflected that perhaps I was lucky that Ginger hadn't beaten me up...

The fight with Jack Bruce goes back eons, back to their jazz days in Soho when one night Ginger physically attacked Jack on stage during a gig - "I was gonna kill him" - and had to be restrained by bouncers. More recently the dispute centres on the division of royalties, and the high volume of Jack's bass playing; Ginger blames him for his deafness. After the first of three reunion gigs at Madison Square Gardens in 2005, Ginger insisted that Perspex screens be placed next to his kit to baffle the sound. As I understand it, part of the point of the reunions was to provide Ginger with a bit of much-needed dosh - about five million quid, according to his estranged son, which was unwisely invested in a string of polo ponies.

Like you, Ken, I have the highest regard for him as a drummer, and for Cream as a band. There was a long and fascinating feature about the band in the May issue of Uncut magazine, to which I responded with a letter, published in the June issue, recalling the night I saw Ginger play at the Bridge House at Canning Town. Ah, happy days...
  • Options

Great story, Ken. Ginger's rudeness obviously hasn't abated since you spoke to him outside the New Victoria Theatre all those years ago, because after the screening at the Curzon earlier this month I saw him having a fag outside and politely asked if he would sign my copy of his autobiography. I have loved his drumming for 40 years, and he brusquely said "No", and walked off down the street! I mean, how can you NOT sign your own autobiography? The fan behind me said "Nice try", and I reflected that perhaps I was lucky that Ginger hadn't beaten me up...

The fight with Jack Bruce goes back eons, back to their jazz days in Soho when one night Ginger physically attacked Jack on stage during a gig - "I was gonna kill him" - and had to be restrained by bouncers. More recently the dispute centres on the division of royalties, and the high volume of Jack's bass playing; Ginger blames him for his deafness. After the first of three reunion gigs at Madison Square Gardens in 2005, Ginger insisted that Perspex screens be placed next to his kit to baffle the sound. As I understand it, part of the point of the reunions was to provide Ginger with a bit of much-needed dosh - about five million quid, according to his estranged son, which was unwisely invested in a string of polo ponies.

Like you, Ken, I have the highest regard for him as a drummer, and for Cream as a band. There was a long and fascinating feature about the band in the May issue of Uncut magazine, to which I responded with a letter, published in the June issue, recalling the night I saw Ginger play at the Bridge House at Canning Town. Ah, happy days...

Just do not get it Viewfinder, why go to a pr event, and be hostile?.

I can understand not wanting to ask a barrage of questions about events that you feel you did not get your just credit, or financial dues, god knows I have met enough of those?

I once met Mitch Mitchell, at a press event at the 'hardrock cafe', admittedly I had met him before, and the ghost writer of the book was a fellow journalist who had written the autobiography, but Mitch played the game, even signed the book to me. To him I was just another journalist, asking awkward questions to event's he probably did not remember ( as was the case with Mitch) about Jimi, that he probably was more than a little pissed off about?. But the guy was more than happy to talk, and to be positive about playing with jimi.
    Ironically I met him again, a few weeks before he died when I photographed him playing with a guitarist called Barry McCabe.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/2464478881/in/set-72157604891367322 and Barry was talking about Rory Gallagher, and how he was such an influence on his playing.
    Ironically Mick Taylor was there, I could have spent the whole day talking about Rory and Jimi to that guy?.
  • Options

I can understand not wanting to ask a barrage of questions about events that you feel you did not get your just credit, or financial dues, god knows I have met enough of those?

I once met Mitch Mitchell, at a press event at the 'hardrock cafe', admittedly I had met him before, and the ghost writer of the book was a fellow journalist who had written the autobiography, but Mitch played the game, even signed the book to me. To him I was just another journalist, asking awkward questions to event's he probably did not remember ( as was the case with Mitch) about Jimi, that he probably was more than a little pissed off about?. But the guy was more than happy to talk, and to be positive about playing with jimi.
    Ironically I met him again, a few weeks before he died when I photographed him playing with a guitarist called Barry McCabe.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/2464478881/in/set-72157604891367322 and Barry was talking about Rory Gallagher, and how he was such an influence on his playing.
    Ironically Mick Taylor was there, I could have spent the whole day talking about Rory and Jimi to that guy?.
    Yes, Mitch Mitchell - He obviously knew how to be civil with fans and journos; good that you got him to talk about working with Jimi. My sister knew Noel Redding through her marriage to Tom McGuinness, who came from Clonakilty, which is where Noel ended up. I hadn't heard of Barry McCabe but liked your photos and looked at his website - he sounds like a really decent bloke and I'll investigate further...

• Options

Yes, Mitch Mitchell - He obviously knew how to be civil with fans and journos; good that you got him to talk about working with Jimi. My sister knew Noel Redding through her marriage to Tom McGuinness, who came from Clonakilty, which is where Noel ended up. I hadn't heard of Barry McCabe but liked your photos and looked at his website - he sounds like a really decent bloke and I'll investigate further...

I love watching Tom McGuinness - he looks like he thinks he's the luckiest man alive when he's playing with The Blues Band. Seems like a nice guy - is he?
  • Options
    Did Tom mcguiness used to be in manfred Mann/the manfreds? My parents dragged me to one of their shows a few years back and I actually quite enjoyed it
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I love watching Tom McGuinness - he looks like he thinks he's the luckiest man alive when he's playing with The Blues Band. Seems like a nice guy - is he?
    Yes, he's just as good-humoured as he looks, a really lovely bloke. Do you realise he's 71 years old? He looks about 45. The bastard!

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Did Tom mcguiness used to be in manfred Mann/the manfreds? My parents dragged me to one of their shows a few years back and I actually quite enjoyed it

Yes, Tom was with Manfred Mann from the start, played guitar / bass on all their hits in the 1960s. Manfred himself fronts the Earthband (playing the Jazz Café in Camden Town in September), while The Manfreds tour without him, playing the old stuff. The Blues Band - with Tom, Paul Jones, Dave Kelly and Rob Townsend - is a good night out too.