Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What retired footballers do

Mike Channon became a successful Horse race trainer. Saw this on FB today advertising Robbie Fowler training courses http://rf-london.localspecific.com/

Comments

• edited June 2013
    One of the more unusual ones and Kap, as a fellow old git, you will remember him...

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2012/10/gods-footballer-the-story-of-peter-knowles/
  • LenGlover said:

One of the more unusual ones and Kap, as a fellow old git, you will remember him...

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2012/10/gods-footballer-the-story-of-peter-knowles/

I remember being enthralled by Peter Knowles in a league game at the Valley back in, I think, 1966.
    He really shone that day and their fans idolised him. A really gifted player

• This man has probably been the most successful ex-Addick after leaving the game....

http://www.vestrawealth.com/pdf/vestra wealth hires leading banker as it hits record aum.pdf

Who remembers him?
  • Times profile: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/moversshakers/article3439120.ece

But after a bit of a Google, it looks as if he may have moved on from Vestra.
  • edited June 2013

This man has probably been the most successful ex-Addick after leaving the game....

http://www.vestrawealth.com/pdf/vestra wealth hires leading banker as it hits record aum.pdf

Who remembers him?

I remember him well. He made his debut as a Roan schoolboy and packed up pro football when he finished at university. He had a tough time playing in a struggling team in the old second division alongside the likes of Les Berry, Peter Shaw and a Bob Curtis and Phil Warman who were perhaps on the way down from their best.

Some of his mates played football and cricket at Thames Poly where I played rugby and cricket. He was a regular visitor to the Club and a very nice, unassuming bloke with whom I shared the odd glass of beer. It was evident on speaking with him that he was a gifted bloke with the ability to succeed in virtually any field he chose as he has subsequently proved.
  • Apparently the PFA have financially assisted and supported Clive Mendonca in getting a job on an oil rig!
  • LenGlover said:

This man has probably been the most successful ex-Addick after leaving the game....

Who remembers him?

I remember him well. He made his debut as a Roan schoolboy and packed up pro football when he finished at university. He had a tough time playing in a struggling team in the old second division alongside the likes of Les Berry, Peter Shaw and a Bob Curtis and Phil Warman who were perhaps on the way down from their best.

Some of his mates played football and cricket at Thames Poly where I played rugby and cricket. He was a regular visitor to the Club and a very nice, unassuming bloke with whom I shared the odd glass of beer. It was evident on speaking with him that he was a gifted bloke with the ability to succeed in virtually any field he chose as he has subsequently proved.
    Yes I went to school with David Campbell. He was about 3 years older. He had a younger brother who also played in Charlton's youth team.

Our (Roan) school team won the all England trophy twice in a few years. I honestly think they would have given Charlton a decent game.

Apart from the 2 Campbell's, the other centre half was Phil Coleman who subsequently played for Millwall. Gary Mickelwhite who signed for Man U, but had success at QPR & Derby. Terry Earnshaw played for Charlton youth.
  • Ex Spurs and England Andy Sinton works in the fire alarm industry
  • LenGlover said:

Who remembers him?

Yes I went to school with David Campbell. He was about 3 years older. He had a younger brother who also played in Charlton's youth team.

Our (Roan) school team won the all England trophy twice in a few years. I honestly think they would have given Charlton a decent game.

Apart from the 2 Campbell's, the other centre half was Phil Coleman who subsequently played for Millwall. Gary Mickelwhite who signed for Man U, but had success at QPR & Derby. Terry Earnshaw played for Charlton youth.
    We actually won the All England two years running which no no other school had ever done. It was the third time we had won it, the first time in 70/71 (?) at . . . The Valley.

I played alongside Micklewhite, Coleman and Earnshaw in the school team and even at 12yrs old you could see Micklewhite had it. He's a black-cab driver now. Come the cup games, I would be dropped so that the likes of Micklewhite etc,who were busy with their club sides on school match days, could play.

I'm still amazed at my lack of rancour and bitterness at having missed out at the time . . .

• Apparently the PFA have financially assisted and supported Clive Mendonca in getting a job on an oil rig!

Is that true?

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

And of course his brother coined the "Nice One Cyril" chant.
  • Curb_It said:

Apparently the PFA have financially assisted and supported Clive Mendonca in getting a job on an oil rig!

Is that true?

Wikipedia quotes from the Daily Mail, so you make your mind up on that one.
  • Hookers, coke and betting.
  • DRFDRF
    edited June 2013
    Curb_It said:

Apparently the PFA have financially assisted and supported Clive Mendonca in getting a job on an oil rig!

Is that true?

I wouldn't be suprised, the PFA have a really good 'post football' section. They run training courses to them become physios, teachers and media peeps as that's what a lot go on to do but they will basically fund any re-training needs.
  • From that same Daily Mail article:

Former Charlton player Paul Mortimer, who now works for the PFA counselling others struggling with retirement, agrees: ‘I was depressed for the first 18 months after I retired [in 2001]. I couldn’t get out of bed.
  • edited June 2013
    <

We actually won the All England two years running which no no other school had ever done. It was the third time we had won it, the first time in 70/71 (?) at . . . The Valley.

I played alongside Micklewhite, Coleman and Earnshaw in the school team and even at 12yrs old you could see Micklewhite had it. He's a black-cab driver now. Come the cup games, I would be dropped so that the likes of Micklewhite etc,who were busy with their club sides on school match days, could play.

I'm still amazed at my lack of rancour and bitterness at having missed out at the time . . .

Gary Micklewhite was a very decent player. Scored a great over-head kick v Charlton at The Valley in 1982 and played for QPR in The FA Cup Final v Spurs. But probably had his best time at Derby...he was superb for them.
  • Greg Downs of Norwich and Coventry City is a policeman
    Mark Ward of West Ham is a convicted drug dealer.
    Ted (?) Foley of Crystal Palace- Shouts at buses in the mid essex area.
  • This is Lawrie Madden's list of current jobs:
    Director at Madden Media Consultancy Ltd
    Senior lecturer at Staffordshire University
    Freelance sports journalist at IMG/TWI
    Freelance sports journalist at Sky Sports
  • Johnny Moore of Millwall worked as a Money Broker for a number of years, same firm as me.
  • cafcfan said:

This is Lawrie Madden's list of current jobs:

I think he was Scott Minto's lecturer when Minto went on a journalism course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I going mad, or do I remember Micklewhite getting four against us over at Loftus Road one midweek night?
  • Bobby Goldthorpe a cleaning supervisor
  • I remember Bob Goldthorpe knocking on our door when I was a boy. He was selling insurance for a local broker in Shirley, must have only been a year or so after he stopped playing.
  • Anthony Barness is working in the office of his father in laws building firm. He also does a bit of tiling on the side as well.
  • Am I going mad, or do I remember Micklewhite getting four against us over at Loftus Road one midweek night?

1978–1979

Manchester United

1979-1985

Queens Park Rangers

97 Apps

(11) Goals

1985–1993

Derby County

(31)

1993–1996

Gillingham

(3

I think it was Clive Allen, it may have been 4, but he definitely scored a hat trick.
  • cafcfan said:

Lawrie Madden studied for an MA in Economics in the 1970s and wrote articles about football finances for Marxism Today magazine. He looked like a provincial college lecturer even then. A vivid scene from 1980-81, our promotion season from the old Third Division: After watching us get tonked 4-0 by Chester City at their old Sealand Road ground, I got the train to Crewe and had a couple of sherbets in a Boddington's pub. Back at Crewe station for the Euston train, I opened the door to the buffet to find the Charlton team standing at the bar. It was noticeable that while Killer, Walshy, et al were wearing kipper ties, wide collars and jackets with the sleeves rolled up, Lawrie Madden was standing distinctly apart from the throng in a moth-eaten tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows.

25 Years Ago Today: Yet Another Clive Allen Hattrick

Twenty-Five Years Ago Today: March 20, 1982:
    Terry Venables Promotion Chasing/FA Cup Winning (just failed on both) team crushed Charlton 4-0 with (another!) hatrick from Clive Allen and one from Terry Fenwick. (A few weeks after this victory, QPR crushed Bolton 7-1!)

QPR's team that day against Charlton: QPR's present manager, John Gregory was absent - as was QPR's previous manager, Gary Waddock. But QPR's current acting assistant, Warren Neil did play in that game.

Hucker
    Gillard Roeder Hazell Newil
    Flangan Fenwick CurrieMikclewhite
    Stainrod Allen
    Sub Burke
  • cafcfan said:

Lawrie Madden studied for an MA in Economics in the 1970s and wrote articles about football finances for Marxism Today magazine. He looked like a provincial college lecturer even then. A vivid scene from 1980-81, our promotion season from the old Third Division: After watching us get tonked 4-0 by Chester City at their old Sealand Road ground, I got the train to Crewe and had a couple of sherbets in a Boddington's pub. Back at Crewe station for the Euston train, I opened the door to the buffet to find the Charlton team standing at the bar. It was noticeable that while Killer, Walshy, et al were wearing kipper ties, wide collars and jackets with the sleeves rolled up, Lawrie Madden was standing distinctly apart from the throng in a moth-eaten tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows.

Madden's avuncular presence may have contributed to his being appointed club captain. He was a full-back, had a slight stoop, and wasn't especially quick. Went on to play for Smallwall and then for Sheffield Wednesday for many years, who were then in the top flight.

• Derek Hales is a teacher still at The Howard school in Rainham. He takes the naughty boys and oversees their detention.

Steve Gritt is a scout for Birmingham