Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JD Wetherspoon to open service station pubs

Comments

• Options
    and coaches.

One of the biggest downers of away travel by coach is having to sit in some service station for 45 mins to an hour while the driver has his break. If you could have a pint, would make coach travel a bit more appealing
  • Options
    I'm sure the old bill might have something to say about that though.
  • Options
    Ridiculous decision how to increase drink driving in one easy step
  • Options
    Drink driving at 70mph on a busy motorway, what can go wrong.
  • Options

and coaches.

One of the biggest downers of away travel by coach is having to sit in some service station for 45 mins to an hour while the driver has his break. If you could have a pint, would make coach travel a bit more appealing

Sit next to me next time and I'll let you have some of my "diet coke"
  • Options
    Lets get one along the A130 as well, would be a touch.
  • Options
    As someone that is always gagging for a drink in a motorway service station (when not driving I might add), even I think this is a strange move. Still, you can get a beer at the services on the continent - why is it us that can't control it?
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a pub in a service area on the A303 by Stonehenge. That's as good as a motorway.
  • Options
    If you're quick on your toes, there's a pub not far from Newport Pagnell services, south bound side.
  • Options
    the police would make a killing on drink drive penalties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Orwell truck stop (cars & coaches use it as well) on the A12 near Ipswich has been serving alcohol for a few years, doesnt seem to be an issue.
  • Options
    i think it'll be aimed towards hgv drivers doing their stop over's there and having some food and a few drinks before bedding down in their cab (that obviously doesnt rule out some wnkers geting drunk and driving)
  • Options

i think it'll be aimed towards hgv drivers doing their stop over's there and having some food and a few drinks before bedding down in their cab (that obviously doesnt rule out some wnkers geting drunk and driving)

There are thousands of pubs up & down the country next to main roads, or just off a junction of the Motorway/A road, this will be no different, if people want to drink they will, regardless.

• Options
    DA9 said:

There are thousands of pubs up & down the country next to main roads, or just off a junction of the Motorway/A road, this will be no different, if people want to drink they will, regardless.

Agreed. But I'd be more concerned about people who didn't know they wanted to drink, until they came across a pub at the service station.

Someone was being interviewed on BBC breakfast this morning (sorry I didn't see who) - but he made the very good point that there is a huge difference between making a conscious decision to come off the motorway to look for a pub, as compared to happening upon one when you stop for fuel/coffee/toilet/packet of crisps.

The DfT have recently consulted on a removal of the blanket ban on service alcohol at MSAs. However, in the Department's own 'impact assessment', they freely admit that they have absolutely no idea what impact this will have on drink driving offences. Personally I find this staggering.
  • Options
    you shouldnt have fast food outlets at every poxy service station either, i am totally against drink driving for personal reasons but i do think especially if there 24hr that it will encourage drinking for example there beer and a burger deals.
  • Options
    If they become common, Imagine if you're the designated driver for a day out an away game. You'[ll be gutted to know these exist and that you're now going to get home about 2 or 4 or 6 hours later as they want to have pee stop at each service station and then disappear on you.
  • Options
    Recipe for disaster on match days.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

i agree, i'm just saying i think that in getting the ok to do it they will have had a plan to aim it at hgv drivers etc stopping over rather than just trying to entice anyone in for a drink while their driving
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

But I'd be more concerned about people who didn't know they wanted to drink, until they came across a pub at the service station.

Frankly these people shouldn't be driving full stop, they should be seeking out professional help. I'd question if they even really exist, do they pop to the shops and return 4 hours lated, pissed up as they happened to walk past a pub, or off license? How do they do shopping trips at all? Do they suffer an uncontrollable urge as they pass the drinks isle in Asda?

If they have so little self control, and are such hopeless alcoholics they can't pass up any opportunity to drink then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car, ever.

I think this really is a non-issue. Take the A249 for example, heavily used by lorry drivers going to from the docks at Sheerness, and the only commuter route on/off Sheppy, so a well used road. The Bobby Apple is right there at the services, and the Co-Op petrol station sells beer, wines and spirits, yet I've not heard of it as a particular accident blackspot.

• Options
    Motorway service stations still wont be allowed to sell alcohol.
    This is not a otorwary service station but a services that are off of the motorway.

Not like you cant drive for two minutes off the motorway to go to a pub anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As someone that is always gagging for a drink in a motorway service station (when not driving I might add), even I think this is a strange move. Still, you can get a beer at the services on the continent - why is it us that can't control it?

But it has to go in the boot.

• Options
    I think they are doing it aiming more at the food/meal market because the service stations just sell crap junk food takeaway rubbish whereas weatherspoons will offer better meal alternatives with more variety.
  • Options
    What a stupid idea - just wait for the first drink driving fatality caused by someone drinking at a Weatherspoons service station. I presume the bill for all emergency services etc will be presented to Weatherspoons?
  • Options
    Hold on here people. Usual over reaction from the media. The wetherspoons in question will be like every other wetherspoons. It will sell tea coffee and bland food and a beer within a few metres of a road. The people who frequent it will be looking for somewhere to eat or drink or both oh and have a piss.

Where have we arrived at the conclusion that every twat who thinks drink driving is cool is going to head there and therefore not give a shit about causing drunken carnage on the motorway?

Get a grip. WE have a choice.
  • Options

Jodaius said:

But I'd be more concerned about people who didn't know they wanted to drink, until they came across a pub at the service station.

Frankly these people shouldn't be driving full stop, they should be seeking out professional help. I'd question if they even really exist, do they pop to the shops and return 4 hours lated, pissed up as they happened to walk past a pub, or off license? How do they do shopping trips at all? Do they suffer an uncontrollable urge as they pass the drinks isle in Asda?

If they have so little self control, and are such hopeless alcoholics they can't pass up any opportunity to drink then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car, ever.

I think this really is a non-issue. Take the A249 for example, heavily used by lorry drivers going to from the docks at Sheerness, and the only commuter route on/off Sheppy, so a well used road. The Bobby Apple is right there at the services, and the Co-Op petrol station sells beer, wines and spirits, yet I've not heard of it as a particular accident blackspot.

You don't have to be a 'hopeless alcoholic' to succomb to peer pressure - in fact I would imagine this is one of the most common reasons for drink driving offences. Personally I wouldn't, but many would be persuaded to have 'just one'. I wonder how many people realise that 1 pint of premium strength lager (e.g. Stella) can put you over the limit?
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it. If you can't go near a pub without wanting a drink you've got a serious drink problem.
  • Options
    sm said:

What a stupid idea - just wait for the first drink driving fatality caused by someone drinking at a Weatherspoons service station. I presume the bill for all emergency services etc will be presented to Weatherspoons?

No 'Spoons I have so far seen is anywhere near a road - and none of them have car parks.
  • Options
    Every single Wetherspoons I know is near a road of some sort, no matter how big or small it is.

Just because it is near a motorway doesn't necessarily mean there is an increased risk to drink and drive.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

sm said:

No 'Spoons I have so far seen is anywhere near a road - and none of them have car parks.
    ????
    It must be a right bugger carrying all those barrels of beer half a mile from the nearest road to the pub
  • Options
    Slightly off subject, but little chefs have been serving beers for a long while, I know there's not many around now days and they are not actually on motorways, but you still find a few around on major A roads.

Also can't you buy beer / wine from Waitrose and MandS motorway shops?