Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Death Threads

Okay, I realise that this is going to be contentious but I'm getting really quite fed up with them.
Do we really need an RIP thread for every musician, author, politician, etc etc that's left this mortal coil?
Can't we just have a "Deaths thread" - a bit like the rumours thread where people can post RIPs if they so wish?
Cos this site is becoming a bit like "Charlton Death" rather than "Charlton Life".
I do see the circumstances of Drummer Rigby's murder as being in a different category from the mundane deaths of semi-famous individuals; individuals connected to CAFC are also different - particularly as they probably won't hit the national news.
But I see we now have a Nelson Mandela's nearly dead thread (although not one for Prince Philip). Reports for these events are all over the news anyway so what's the point of posting on here?

Comments

• Options
    RIP death threads..

;)
  • Options
    My thoughts are with the posters
  • Options
    Don't think they would be too much of a problem if certain trolls didn't get on their high horses in those threads and act like absolute prats.
  • Options
    'Charlton Death' haha
  • Options
    Puts it all into perspective...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, I realise that this is going to be contentious but I'm getting really quite fed up with them.
    Do we really need an RIP thread for every musician, author, politician, etc etc that's left this mortal coil?
    Can't we just have a "Deaths thread" - a bit like the rumours thread where people can post RIPs if they so wish?
    Cos this site is becoming a bit like "Charlton Death" rather than "Charlton Life".
    I do see the circumstances of Drummer Rigby's murder as being in a different category from the mundane deaths of semi-famous individuals; individuals connected to CAFC are also different - particularly as they probably won't hit the national news.
    But I see we now have a Nelson Mandela's nearly dead thread (although not one for Prince Philip). Reports for these events are all over the news anyway so what's the point of posting on here?

If you're getting fed up with them - Simples - Don't open the thread
  • Options
    for a minute I thought it was about threatening behaviour, then about cool trousers..

:D

OK it is Monday
  • Options
    I read it at first as Death Threats !
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    They all seem a little on the fake emotion side to me. People I've never met (or their families) dont need me sticking a meaning less RIP on a football site.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree to a point but best not to view if they piss you off...it's not like you can open them by accident.
  • Options
    makes you realise how precious life is and that football isn't the be all and end all
  • Options
    It's the threads they leave behind that I feel sorry for.
  • Options
    I agree. I haven't heard of half of them. But I do as suggested and don't open.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There was a thread on this same subject a while ago: RIP Threads

I do as the others do, I don't open them. There's something about a lot of people just typing RIP on a forum thread that I find unsettling and a little insincere.
  • Options
    Wont someone please think of the children?
  • Options
    i think its far more insincere to have a generic thread for "anyone" who pops their clogs rather than having a dedicated tribute thread.
  • Options
    I blame:

13 years of Labour misrule
    The right wing fascist Tory government
    Margaret Thatcher
    Ken Livingstone
    The EU
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Jim Davidson
    Pardew
    Dowie
    Kevin Muscat

Please select as appropriate
  • Options

I read it at first as Death Threats !

Ha ha so did i. I thought some insults on here had gone too far and admin were going to have to step in!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

This!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

I blame:

Margaret Thatcher
    Ken Livingstone
    The EU
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Jim Davidson
    Pardew
    Dowie
    Kevin Muscat

I don't, I blame Dean Kiely!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

This!
    Well I find seeing RIP quite depressing.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I blame:

Margaret Thatcher
    Ken Livingstone
    The EU
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Jim Davidson
    Pardew
    Dowie
    Kevin Muscat

haha, you know i think you've named all of the things people get pissy about on this forum!
  • Options
    @cafcfan

Short of time so apologies for short reply.

I can see where you are coming from, as in most cases they hold no value in fitting into other core subject matter on the site.

However, the survey we did last year of 750 members showed they were surprisingly more popular than I personally thought they might be, and they were also mentioned a bit in the things people like most about the site as an example of the broad church of subject matter.

Adding RIP to some unrelated obscure person is a bit pointless, when someone adds a memory, or a connection (which surprisingly happens a lot), then it starts becoming interesting.

So agree, they don't fully fit in, buy they provide a decent spread of subject debate so they definitely stay for now, as long as it doesn't get too widespread. Just maybe only ads them if you think it could lead to an interesting thread, and certainly not when someone in the public eye dies.
  • Options
    what next banning fence posts...

see what I did there?
  • Options
    For à morbed thread it has had me laughing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    I would be sad to see them disappear or grouped into one thread.

Today there was one about Donna Hartley who as far as I know had no CAFC connections but was the pin up girl of British Athletics back in the day.

As I do not always read a daily paper it is unlikely that I would have heard about this as quickly had I not signed in to CL this morning.
  • Options
    When people have something to say, or share about the deceased, then they make sense. People want to be with other people when someone dies, that's standard. Although just posting RIP never really makes much sense to me. At least when it comes to movie stars and musicians. When it's a member of the forum it's rather different. The RIPs would mean a lot to the family members who stand a good chance of seeing the thread.

• Options