Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SNP's Independence Campaign

Comments

• Options
    I'm a Scot and a proud Londoner. I come from the British Isles and so have all my ancestors for as long as I can see. That also makes me British and I am largely proud of our place in the world and of the Union flag. If Salmond succeeds in winning the small minded view and Scotland breaks the Union I will feel ashamed and emarrassed for my country. I will happily take an English passport in that event. However, I think Algarveadick hits the nail on the head here. The average Scot is far smarter than the out-and-out Nationalists and they won't vote to break Britain. Lowering the voting age to capture the naive vote shows you how desperate Salmond is to become King of Scotland. A "no" vote will end his political career.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My Mum and Dad are both Scottish so this is something that I'm taking a particular interest in. The major problems as I can see them are;

1) Salmonds policy is (now) to retain the pound - thus whilst the political union will dissolve they would then need to agree a currency union with the remainder UK (England) who I'd imagine might not be in the best frame of mind to negotiate
    2) What would happen to the vast array of Scottish industries which rely on the British state as a major customer ? The defence industry, especially the Clyde ship building industry, the finest in the world (witness the incredible new aircraft carriers being constructed on the Clyde) would be devastated
    3) Basing an entire economic policy on a volatile commodity whose resources have dubious longevity is a very, very bad idea
    4) Double counting the money from said volatile commodity (apparently the revenue will plug the gap and be used for some sort of Norway style pension pot) is an even worse idea
    5) Lots of the rights that Salmond says would flow to Scotland naturally (particularly membership of the EU) are, in the opinion of everyone other than himself quite clearly not true. Scotland would have to apply for membership of bodies like the EU, NATO, Commonwealth as a new member. Of course they would be quite likely accepted, but it wouldn't happen immediately
    6) One massive issue that I haven't seen a great deal of interest on from the remainder UK is the fate of the UK's nuclear deterrent. As Scotland is the only part of Britain which cannot be easily navaly blockaded it is vital that the submarine based deterrent remains there. What would happen in the event of Scottish independence ?
    7) In a world of increasing globalisation is finding a way of isolating yourself from your biggest trading partner a good idea ?

I'm not saying that Scottish independence is never going to be a good idea, but I just think that right now the timing would be disastrous (and I don't think it would be particularly good for the rest of the UK either). What is needed is stability, but the SNP have had a sniff of their goal by winning the Scottish Parlimentary elections a couple of years ago and now want to go after their big prize regardless of the consequences for the country just so they can have their place in history alongside Wallace and the Bruce. Luckily all the opinion polls seem to suggest that the electorate are rejecting this idea in greater numbers, in a side note it was said at PMQ's the other day that for the first time in however long there is a majority in all six counties of NI that support staying in the Union, so maybe the UK is actually stronger than ever.
  • Options
    ....so they can have their place in history alongside Wallace and the Bruce....

Excuse my ignorance on anything Scottish but should it be Wallace and Gromit ;o)
  • Options
    Steady SolidG you will have the Cardinal geting his kilt on and thats not a sight any of us wanna see.
  • Options

I'm a Scot and a proud Londoner. I come from the British Isles and so have all my ancestors for as long as I can see. That also makes me British and I am largely proud of our place in the world and of the Union flag. If Salmond succeeds in winning the small minded view and Scotland breaks the Union I will feel ashamed and emarrassed for my country. I will happily take an English passport in that event. However, I think Algarveadick hits the nail on the head here. The average Scot is far smarter than the out-and-out Nationalists and they won't vote to break Britain. Lowering the voting age to capture the naive vote shows you how desperate Salmond is to become King of Scotland. A "no" vote will end his political career.

All very well Dave. But England currently gets nothing from the (dis)UK, except the bill. The government, whether the coalition, Labour, Conservative or Liberal, refuse to acknowledge the existence of England politically. Why should I, a proud Englishman care if Scotland departs. It can only help to force the (dis)UK gov. to recognise the English exist.
  • Options
    I hope they go. No doubt Celtic and Rangers will still want to join our leagues though. We all know when it comes to it, they won't vote to leave.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just thought of something. If it happens, how would it affect Berwick Rangers?
  • Options
    danny_m said:

What would change ? England and Scotland are already separate countries in football terms.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

All very well Dave. But England currently gets nothing from the (dis)UK, except the bill. The government, whether the coalition, Labour, Conservative or Liberal, refuse to acknowledge the existence of England politically. Why should I, a proud Englishman care if Scotland departs. It can only help to force the (dis)UK gov. to recognise the English exist.
    If your statement we get nothing but the bill is correct Daggs, why is the government so keen to retain the union? We should all be encouraging the Scotts to leave.
    Many in the U.K. complain of being 'Ruled by Brussels' a remote band of people 200 miles from our London parliament but the Scotts justifiably complain they are being ruled by an English government (they ejected the Tories years ago) that is 300 miles from their parliament.
    Alex Salmond was last year voted The British politician of the year, although he stated that he hoped it was for his brilliance rather the mediocrity of his fellow politicians.
    It would be foolish to underestimate Salmond or the Scots who I believe have always been more politically savvy than the English.

• Options
    se9addick said:

danny_m said:

What would change ? England and Scotland are already separate countries in football terms.
    I'm thinking in terms of a few things like registering new players, would they then have to go through 2 home offices to get a player his permit? If that is the case, what if 1 approves and 1 doesn't, do they sign the player or not?
    Or if its just the English home office, would the SFA then need to wait approval from what will be a foreign home office?
    And I assume for those Berwick fans who don't have them, they are going to need passports, as will all the supporters of the other teams in their league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Daggs said:

If your statement we get nothing but the bill is correct Daggs, why is the government so keen to retain the union? We should all be encouraging the Scotts to leave.
    Many in the U.K. complain of being 'Ruled by Brussels' a remote band of people 200 miles from our London parliament but the Scotts justifiably complain they are being ruled by an English government (they ejected the Tories years ago) that is 300 miles from their parliament.
    Alex Salmond was last year voted The British politician of the year, although he stated that he hoped it was for his brilliance rather the mediocrity of his fellow politicians.
    It would be foolish to underestimate Salmond or the Scots who I believe have always been more politically savvy than the English.

You seem confused John! I want the Scots (only one t ) to leave.
    Yes, many do complain of being 'ruled by Brussels' But Salmond wants to quit the (dis)UK) yet continue to be ruled by Brussels....i don't care, that is a matter for the Scots.
    The British (politicians) wish to keep the Union to protect their own political position. They don't care how much it costs to bribe the Scots to stay. If the seccesion vote is lost, they are already talking about further Devolution to Scotland. And of course will continue to ignore England.
  • Options
    danny_m said:

se9addick said:

danny_m said:

I'm thinking in terms of a few things like registering new players, would they then have to go through 2 home offices to get a player his permit? If that is the case, what if 1 approves and 1 doesn't, do they sign the player or not?
    Or if its just the English home office, would the SFA then need to wait approval from what will be a foreign home office?
    And I assume for those Berwick fans who don't have them, they are going to need passports, as will all the supporters of the other teams in their league.
    It's really rather more important than a few details around football!
  • Options
    danny_m said:

se9addick said:

danny_m said:

You're right, I didn't think of semi-professional Berwick Rangers global scouting network. Someone tell Salmond to cancel the revolution !
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2013
    England being ignored is brilliant. I'm not political in any way but I find the notion hilarious that politicians sit around in parliament only discussing Scotland, Wales and NI!
  • Options
    WSS said:

England being ignored is hilarious. I'm not political in anyway but I find the notion hilarious that politicians sit around in parliament only discussing Scotland, Wales and NI!

Do you ever watch 'prime ministers question time' ? It's Wednesday lunchtime, on the telly.
    When the British politicians in Westminster are bickering about..........let's say health or education or perhaps planning or maybe policing. Listen up, see how many times they say 'our country' or 'this country' or even 'Britain' They will never say England. Yet extraordinary as it may seem, it's England they are discussing (or more usually bickering about) Because devolution has removed those responsibilities from them as far as Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland are concerned. Yet British or more accurately (dis)UK politicians spend their days deciding what is good for England (without ever saying it) Meanwhile the Scots, Welsh and N.Irish have their own Parliament or Assembly looking after their interests.
    Have you got kids heading for university? It will cost you £9000/yr because the MP's from Scotland voted in favour of tuition fees................for England only.
    Yup, England only. not Scotland, nor Wales, nor N.Ireland, not even kids from other EU countries, just England.
    Perhaps you are happy with this situation? I'm not, it's a travesty of Democracy..
  • Options
    Hope it's voted, and hope it receives an emphatic NO. Which I think it will.

I'm a proud Brit and a believer of the union. Nothing is ever perfect, but we've all been getting along nicely for a long time now
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Daggs said:

WSS said:

England being ignored is hilarious. I'm not political in anyway but I find the notion hilarious that politicians sit around in parliament only discussing Scotland, Wales and NI!

Do you ever watch 'prime ministers question time' ? It's Wednesday lunchtime, on the telly.
    When the British politicians in Westminster are bickering about..........let's say health or education or perhaps planning or maybe policing. Listen up, see how many times they say 'our country' or 'this country' or even 'Britain' They will never say England. Yet extraordinary as it may seem, it's England they are discussing (or more usually bickering about) Because devolution has removed those responsibilities from them as far as Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland are concerned. Yet British or more accurately (dis)UK politicians spend their days deciding what is good for England (without ever saying it) Meanwhile the Scots, Welsh and N.Irish have their own Parliament or Assembly looking after their interests.
    Have you got kids heading for university? It will cost you £9000/yr because the MP's from Scotland voted in favour of tuition fees................for England only.
    Yup, England only. not Scotland, nor Wales, nor N.Ireland, not even kids from other EU countries, just England.
    Perhaps you are happy with this situation? I'm not, it's a travesty of Democracy..
    The problem is you don't seem to understand how the British Parliamentary system works and have swallowed an incredible amount of propaganda.

Firstly, of the 600 MPs at Westminster, 502 represent English constituencies, so when they are talking about devolved powers in Westminster they are clearly talking about England - that is obvious to anyone who understands this basic fact. Secondly, in the UK, MPs generally tend to vote on party lines rather than national ones - so it's not as though all the Scottish MPs band together and vote as a block to the detriment of the English. Scottish Labour MPs will vote with their English colleagues, Lib Dem with Lib Dem, Con with Con and I believe the SNP don't vote on devolved matters in England at all.

To try and suggest that the English are somehow excluded in the UK is absolute madness.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There are 533 English seats out of 650 in total. The lower figures relate to the proposed boundary changes which aren't happening for 2015.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Daggs said:

All very well Dave. But England currently gets nothing from the (dis)UK, except the bill. The government, whether the coalition, Labour, Conservative or Liberal, refuse

to acknowledge the existence of England politically. Why should I, a proud Englishman care if Scotland departs. It can only help to force the (dis)UK gov. to recognise the English exist.

You seem confused John! I want the Scots (only one t ) to leave.
    Yes, many do complain of being 'ruled by Brussels' But Salmond wants to quit the (dis)UK) yet continue to be ruled by Brussels....i don't care, that is a matter for the Scots.
    The British (politicians) wish to keep the Union to protect their own political position. They don't care how much it costs to bribe the Scots to stay. If the seccesion vote is lost, they are already talking about further Devolution to Scotland. And of course will continue to ignore England.
    By the year 2020 the Scots (one s) will be an independent country in Europe with the Euro as currency. The English would have withdrawn from Europe with a land fit for the aristocrats who, through the Tory party rule the country.
    England will be an insignificant island in the Atlantic with no world influence ruled by King Charles and Queen Camilla. What do you think Daggs?

• Options
    The sweatys you see on the tv are all noise and no substance on this matter

The vote will be a resounding no and alex smallmind will crawl back off under a rock he will get an MEP job and be a self serving filth bag like the rest of them until we pull out of tje EU when his gravy train will come to a hault and he will be minted enough to buy a huge chunk of scotland and then be lord of his own manor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh! i understand it alright. Rather better than you actually. The figures you have hurriedly researched are the proposed numbers under the terms of the 2013 review.
    Currently there are 533 English Constituency MP's 40 Welsh 18 NI and 59 Scottish.
    However that isn't the point. You say "so when they are talking about devolved powers in Westminster they are clearly talking about England"
    It may or may not be "clear" to you. But the British Gov. does all it can to conceal this basic truth from the electorate, by never mentioning England. And sadly most of the English electorate are unaware of the impact of devolution upon England.
    The SNP claim 'we don't vote on England only policy' But the truth is they do, when they percieve a knock-on effect on Scotland and at the end of the day they have the right to vote on English only legislation if they wish, whereas English MP's have no reciprocal right.
    So i'm afraid it's not "madness" at all. The English are excluded. As far as Wesminster is concerned Britain is England/England is Britain. The very thing the Scots have complained about for 300 years. The English (a large proportion anyway) don't understand the difference.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Daggs said:

Oh! i understand it alright. Rather better than you actually. The figures you have hurriedly researched are the proposed numbers under the terms of the 2013 review.
    Currently there are 533 English Constituency MP's 40 Welsh 18 NI and 59 Scottish.
    However that isn't the point. You say "so when they are talking about devolved powers in Westminster they are clearly talking about England"
    It may or may not be "clear" to you. But the British Gov. does all it can to conceal this basic truth from the electorate, by never mentioning England. And sadly most of the English electorate are unaware of the impact of devolution upon England.
    The SNP claim 'we don't vote on England only policy' But the truth is they do, when they percieve a knock-on effect on Scotland and at the end of the day they have the right to vote on English only legislation if they wish, whereas English MP's have no reciprocal right.
    So i'm afraid it's not "madness" at all. The English are excluded. As far as Wesminster is concerned Britain is England/England is Britain. The very thing the Scots have complained about for 300 years. The English (a large proportion anyway) don't understand the difference.

But other than in the realms of your own paranoia, how can the English be excluded from a parliament they have over 80% representation (under both the current and proposed changes) ? I've not counted the number of times that the word "England" or "English" have been said during Parliamentary discourse, but by the same token I've not counted the number of times "aubergine" is said in Parliament but I'm sure that all of these things exist and I don't need to be constantly reminded.
  • Options
    whereas English MP's have no reciprocal right.

The UK Parliament at Westminster retains power to legislate on any matter, but the convention of devolution is that the UK Parliament will not normally legislate on devolved matters without the consent of the Scottish Parliament - the "Sewell Convention".

• Options
    WSS do go ask the Mister for England what he/she thinks ----------------------oooooooooooooo of course you cant there isnt one. There are Misters for Wales ,Scotland and NI.

If the Scot / Welsh Nats are so "separatist" then why dont they give up their right to vote on purely "English" issues in Parliament-------------- you know actually SHOW they want to be independent-------------------------and maybe the people voting for the Scots and Welsh Nats should also ask them that question. Want to be independant do they bollox.

• Options

WSS do go ask the Mister for England what he/she thinks ----------------------oooooooooooooo of course you cant there isnt one. There are Misters for Wales ,Scotland and NI.

If the Scot / Welsh Nats are so "separatist" then why dont they give up their right to vote on purely "English" issues in Parliament-------------- you know actually SHOW they want to be independent-------------------------and maybe the people voting for the Scots and Welsh Nats should also ask them that question. Want to be independant do they bollox.

As above I'm pretty sure SNP MPs don't vote in Westmisnter on devolved matters.

Either way do you realise your talking about six out of 650 MPs (less than 1%) ?
  • Options
    The SNP won the last elections for the Scottish Assembly with 44% of the vote, so while they are in power they do not represent the majority of Scottish voters.

It's also worth bearing in mind that in the 2011 election campaign the SNP promised a referendum should they get elected, so we have a politician carrying out a promise he made in a campaign. Shocking that a politician should do what he promised.
  • Options
    This nonsense about "England" not officially existing is about as laughable as people that think that the EU wanted us to have straight bananas. Paranoia of the most stupid kind.
  • Options
    SHG Labour wanted devolution for England ---its called regionalisation. Not some figment of the Daily Mail. As told to me on my own door step by the labour MP for Eltham 2 years ago when he knocked onmy door on St Georges Day !!!! After i asked hoim and his minions where their roses were etc and why was devolution so anti English.

weeks back Boris stated he wanted London to be devolved in the same manner as Scotland etc.

The hatred shown by the left + Labour for anything English is well known--their contempt shines out even on this board
  • Options
    I am very pro England, and I am left wing. But what I don't do is turn pro-England into anti-everyone else.
  • Options
    Scotish Nationalism---good
    English Nationalism----racism

Im jealous of the Welsh having their own language and the Jocks having the their Kilts bags pipes etc. We the English have nothing like that and even struggle to know what our culture actually is.

Prescott " there is no such thing as an English nation"

Orwell " there is the trend for the left to throw scorn on everything English---- "