Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bruce Springsteen, Wembley Stadium, last night

Anyone else there last night?

I thought the first 45 minutes or so were a little bit below par, sound system affected by the wind and not the best choice of songs - but his songbook is so extensive now that there is bound to be, for everyone, some material that doesn't quite hit the spot. But after that, he was awesome, as usual. A great set from "Darkness on the edge of town" and then a fantastic sequence of classic and newer material that had the whole place rocking.

I first became a fan in 1979, saw him live for the first time at Wembley Arena in 1981, and sung my babies to sleep with Springsteen songs in the early 80s.

If you have never seen him, you should try to, at least once. Even if you don't love his music, his shows are rightly legendary.

Still the Boss.

Comments

• Options
    I went last night and thought it was brilliant as I've become used to now.

I agree the first segment wasn't the best and I think you could tell the crowd wasn't particularly responsive. As soon as he went into "Darkness..." though the whole stadium was rocking. I've always stood before but I ended up sitting in Club Wembley for this one. Couldn't believe it when he got the entirety of club Wembley standing, singing and dancing for the last few songs (including Alan Hansen) - even the FA cup final doesn't get that kind of response!
  • Options
    Almost a year since I saw him here in Prague. Apart from anything else the sheer fitness and stamina of the man at his age, and his commitment to making sure everyone goes home happy, is surely without equal in the rock world.

Glad you enjoyed it in the end
  • Options
    We were there last night as well. He is just incredible: a 3 hour plus set with no real break! How many other bands or singers are so responsive and appreciative of their fans as Bruce? We were nearly caught out as we thought there would be a support band and got there as he started.
    I agree the first 45 mins the sound quality was poor but then it rocked! We saw him at the Emirates a few years ago and that had similar sound problems as well.
    There are so many songs in his playlist that it always leaves me wanting the concert to go on forever. Was that his son that briefly sang with him?
  • Options
    It wasn't his son, just a kid from the audience whose life is now complete. He always brings a kid up for Waiting on a Sunny Day.

But yeah, his back catalogue is so good that even three hours sometimes doesn't feel like enough. Was so cool to see Darkness played beginning to end, people around me who have been going for decades said they have never seen Adam raised a cain or factory played live before.
  • Options
    Oh thanks because it was difficult to see from the gods! I really fancy the gig at the Olympic Park now as well.
  • Options

It wasn't his son, just a kid from the audience whose life is now complete. He always brings a kid up for Waiting on a Sunny Day.

But yeah, his back catalogue is so good that even three hours sometimes doesn't feel like enough. Was so cool to see Darkness played beginning to end, people around me who have been going for decades said they have never seen Adam raised a cain or factory played live before.

Yes. It was good to hear Candy's Room again. Also a surprise that he played Jackson Cage (from The River) early on. I haven't heard that one live before.
  • Options
    Anyone in block 102? Was working there last night all kicked off with 2 groups of elderly.

I wernt a fan but dancing in the dark was great, the old girl on stage had a good time enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Anyone in block 102? Was working there last night all kicked off with 2 groups of elderly.

I wernt a fan but dancing in the dark was great, the old girl on stage had a good time enjoyed that.

First punch up there since Millwall were there
  • Options

Almost a year since I saw him here in Prague. Apart from anything else the sheer fitness and stamina of the man at his age, and his commitment to making sure everyone goes home happy, is surely without equal in the rock world.

Quo or Clapton to name 2!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great stuff, The 2nd encore was a stunning acoustic version of Thunder Road, my favourite Springsteen song ever. Beautiful.
  • Options
    Got tickets to the hard rock calling show. Excited now! Never seen him live (except when he played Glasto on TV!)
  • Options
    How is the band without Claranance (sic)?

saw them just before Live Aid . I think they used The Bosses stage for it.

Was with a good mate now long gone R.I.P Danny Boy
  • Options

Clarence is simply irreplaceable, for his sheer presence as well as the sax playing. BUT, there was a youngish guy playing his parts and he was brilliant - don't know his name. Quite a sizeable brass section in the band these days.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Clarence is simply irreplaceable, for his sheer presence as well as the sax playing. BUT, there was a youngish guy playing his parts and he was brilliant - don't know his name. Quite a sizeable brass section in the band these days.
    That is Jake Clemons, Clarence's nephew.
  • Options
    I was there with my daughter; I'm a massive fan, she is catching up but that was gig number 2 for her. As "Land of Hope & Dreams" is my favourite Bruce song, I loved the first part of the set, despite the temporary sound issues. Funnily enough, although I loved hearing "Darkness" in its entirety live, I don't think it worked as well for the non-afficianodos and for me the atmosphere only really picked up after they completed it.
    What amazes me is that Bruce just seems to get better and better; I thought the gig was better than Hyde Park last year (and they didn't get switched off after 10.30!). I said to my daughter that as soon as you leave a Bruce gig you start planning for the next one. Simpy life-affirming magic, don't mention Quo in the same breath please!
  • Options
    Love the sax and that man could blow it.
  • Options
    I was watching Todd Rundgren at the Shepherd's Bush Empire instead.
  • Options
    Going to see Springsteen tomorrow at Hampden.
  • Options
    I just don't get him and never have.

The late Roger Scott has a lot to answer for if you ask me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Clapton playing three hours straight, several songs on the bounce together, rocketing around the stage like Bono in his prime? I don't think so. I agree that Clapton is a fine musician, and a good live act. I don't think he puts anything like as much physical energy into his shows as Springsteen.

As for Status Quo, well there you are, music is a matter of taste.

• Options
    Riviera said:

I just don't get him and never have.

The late Roger Scott has a lot to answer for if you ask me!

You're right. It was Roger Scott who introduced me to him. And Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes.

Roger Scott was a peerless DJ.

• Options
    I loved Roger too, just had some strange tastes, like Dolly Parton!

Grab a little piece of heaven
    With, Roger Scott from 3-7
    With, Cap-it-al, 194!
  • Options

Davo55 said:

That is Jake Clemons, Clarence's nephew.
    Really?!!! That is fantastic. So glad that the role is being kept "in the family".
  • Options

Greenie said:

Clapton playing three hours straight, several songs on the bounce together, rocketing around the stage like Bono in his prime? I don't think so. I agree that Clapton is a fine musician, and a good live act. I don't think he puts anything like as much physical energy into his shows as Springsteen.

You've never seen The Mighty Quo live then?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Of course I have. At venues like the Black Prince, the Croydon Greyhound and I think at Pompey when I was at Uni.

Not much has changed since then, as far as I can discern. A decent pub rock band.

• Options
    I have to say Bruce Springsteen is the one major rock act I have never seen and always regret it. Mrs. Dave can't stand him but then she has only heard a few records but his shows are legendary. Was Nils Lofgren playing with the band? Great guitar player is Nils (I am sure Greenie will agree) and had a very good solo career as well. Next time if the missus doesn't want to go I'll go on my own.

As for the comment re Quo be careful Prague it may look easy but Greenie and me may pop round with an old battered Tele and ask you to prove how simple it is....you may be surprised!
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Of course I have. At venues like the Black Prince, the Croydon Greyhound and I think at Pompey when I was at Uni.

Not much has changed since then, as far as I can discern. A decent pub rock band.

Ah yes, the Black Prince at Bexley and Sunday nights at the Croydon Greyhound: old haunts of mine all those years ago. Quo actually did play a pub gig just a few years back - the Ruskin Arms in East Ham - as a warm-up to a major tour.

• Options

I have to say Bruce Springsteen is the one major rock act I have never seen and always regret it. Mrs. Dave can't stand him but then she has only heard a few records but his shows are legendary. Was Nils Lofgren playing with the band? Great guitar player is Nils (I am sure Greenie will agree) and had a very good solo career as well. Next time if the missus doesn't want to go I'll go on my own.

As for the comment re Quo be careful Prague it may look easy but Greenie and me may pop round with an old battered Tele and ask you to prove how simple it is....you may be surprised!

OK guys OK :-). Each to his own!

I don't dislike them, and respect to them for still being a good live act at their age. Me, I was ready to travel all the way to Amsterdam last December to see Golden Earring , who are five years older than Quo, but my wife gave a quick listen and refused point blank to come with me.

We all agree on Nils Lofgren.
  • Options
    I saw Nils Lofgren supporting The Stranglers and The Who at the old Wembley, he played guitar whilst flipping on a trampoline...maybe that's why he had both hips replaced a few years ago!! He played really well (as always) the other night.