Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boycott the Oxford Cup game UNLESS ....

Comments

• Options
    Just out of interest , I heard something recently that said the winners of the Europa league would get a place in the chsmpions league, not sure if it starts this season, but if ever we have a cunning plan for European and World dominance then nows the time to start.
  • Options

Yeah I know Brendan , I'm proud of the people's cup and League 1 trophy, but mention it to another supporter and they'll laugh you out of town.

That is because they are glory hunting dick heads and should be dismissed as such. Especially Arsenal fans from south London, who are so stupid they go glory hunting at a club with no glory... :-D
  • Options
    The league 1 trophy was a pretty big deal at th e time

Couldnt give a shit who laughs about it if you win the league you are in its a big deal

Who would laugh at winnjng that
  • Options

The league 1 trophy was a pretty big deal at th e time

Couldnt give a shit who laughs about it if you win the league you are in its a big deal

Who would laugh at winnjng that

Well Sheffield Wednesday are massive and they had a full civic reception (and bought themselves a trophy if I remember rightly!) for coming second so winning the thing was a pretty big deal.
  • Options
    if the club was more honest about these games id be happy. "We will be fielding a team made of first teamers who need some game time and youth players who we think can make the grade. The entry fee will be reduced"
    there may be contractural reasons they cant say a reserve side, but jesus we all know thats what we have seen for a minimum of 15 years.
  • Options

Fortune, I think you are confusing 'being sh*t in cups' with 'a lack of committment in cups'.

We have no real different approach to the vast majority of other teams. We're are just no good at them.

As for support, there has always been a lack of committment in cups where that is concerned.

I remember Curbishley saying the fans say they want a cup run but were where they?

I like cup games as it's a chance to see the youth, who are probably more up for it than an experienced player.
  • Options

if the club was more honest about these games id be happy. "We will be fielding a team made of first teamers who need some game time and youth players who we think can make the grade. The entry fee will be reduced"
    there may be contractural reasons they cant say a reserve side, but jesus we all know thats what we have seen for a minimum of 15 years.

If we admit picking a weakened side would we get in trouble ? I know all teams do it, but actually publicly stating it might be a step too far.

If the answer to the avove is "no" then I actually think if they billed this as a game for the development squad they'd get a bigger crowd.
  • Options
    From the rules...

6.2 Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Cup Competition matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given. The Board will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength'. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Management Committee shall have power to impose such penalties as they shall think fit. The provisions governing disciplinary matters in relation to the Competition are contained in Rule 23.
  • Options
    even bradford got to à cup final and went up.
  • Options
    give ticket stub holders an away preference point thingy, might be scope for expanding a loyalty scheme
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    It's a great chance to blood some new players. I really enjoyed our victory over Reading the season before last and it was more enjoyable for seeing some fringe players. Pritchard really shone in that game.

Where I think we should go a bit stronger is the FA cup - but only if the league position allows it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Typical.

Huddersfield at home.

att. 6200

" i'm not going because they don't try hard enough'

Or

Fulham away

away att. 7000

" coooommme ooooonnn yoouuuuu reeeeeedddsss".

Who we play is a major factor for à lot of Charlton fans.
  • Options
    I want Charlton to win every game we play, cup/league or whatever.

Given the choice between having a great league season or a cup run, league would win everytime...
  • Options
    well I'm on hols in France, and many others will be away in August so don't expect too much
  • Options
    The club pull their fingers out of their arseholes and get a fundrasing game sorted for the poor soldier who died recently down the road in Woolwich.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If we admit picking a weakened side would we get in trouble ? I know all teams do it, but actually publicly stating it might be a step too far.

If the answer to the avove is "no" then I actually think if they billed this as a game for the development squad they'd get a bigger crowd.

The club pull their fingers out of their arseholes and get a fundrasing game sorted for the poor soldier who died recently down the road in Woolwich.

Someone (Henry?) posted some excellent suggestions yesterday about using the Inverness Caley Thistle game to raise funds for Drummer Rigby's family. Wonder if they get through to the club?

• Options

Typical.

Huddersfield at home.

att. 6200

Or

Fulham away

away att. 7000

Good point that!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Typical.

Huddersfield at home.

att. 6200

Or

Fulham away

away att. 7000

This. Its not as if many turn up in their droves to these sorts of games anyway, so the 'boycott' would fall on deaf ears.

This Charlton team certainly doesn't lack commitment or positive attitude. We've just never been any good in cup games.

Maybe if the players got the impression that the fans really were that bothered about such games, then there might be an extra 10% squeezed out of them. That's natural. But the fans aren't, hence why they play in front of 5,000 people at The Valley when it comes around.
  • Options

Typical.

Huddersfield at home.

att. 6200

Or

Fulham away

away att. 7000

Good point that!
    Sort of, although also depends where it is alot for away games and so many different things to take in to account :

Team, New Ground, Cost of ticket, Cost of travel, What day of week, Day of month eg. if you get paid on the 1st more likely get a few to that

I generally think we are quite well supported for our division, just cant please everyone/@oooahh. We defo aren't the best supported but we have other london clubs to compete with, but we are still mid table or playoffs at least in the attendances IMHO
  • Options
    No one seems to consider the possibility of playing our strongest team and still losing. I remember one year Curbs made big statements about how this year we were going to focus on the cup and put the first team out only to see them lose to crap opposition. It's very difficuly to lift anyone after that sort of event.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just pleased we drew Oxford in the cup and not in the boat race.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I'm just pleased we drew Oxford in the cup and not in the boat race.

Funny! Sinking ships, and all that.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    nolly said:

wonder if bradford were able to focus on the league while getting to a major final?

Actually they weren't. Bradford slipped from about 5th to 13th whilst on their cup runs & only started to win again consistently, when they were out of both cups, scraping into the play offs in the last couple of games.
  • Options
    Gave up thinking we could get to a final this year attitude a long time ago. Read not so long ago that we have been knocked out of cups by lower league sides something in the region of 35 times, sure I am not imagining that.
  • Options
    We won the FA Cup in 1947 already...do we really need another cup???
  • Options
    Statistically we have the 51st best record in the League cup....when you consider we have spent most of that time in the top 2 divisions that number becomes even more impressively bad!

• Options
    DanDavis said:

Statistically we have the 51st best record in the League cup....when you consider we have spent most of that time in the top 2 divisions that number becomes even more impressively bad!

As Toyah Wilcox once sang............."It's a mystery"
  • Options

DanDavis said:

As Toyah Wilcox once sang............."It's a mythtery"
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

We won the FA Cup in 1947 already...do we really need another cup???

Perhaps we are being à bit greedy.
  • Options
    To Spin Fortune's post on it's head maybe the players should come out and make a statement that until the fans say they are going to take the Cup competitions seriously and then prove it by all turning up and making the atmosphere like it was for Hartlepool last May they will play like they don't care and get themselves out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

The fans stopped coming to cup games years ago why should the club take it seriously?

We probably lose money on most cup games with sub 10,000 crowds paying less than half what they would pay for a league game.

On the basis that we probably can't win the cup, or even get to a final, who's responsibility is it to make the first move. Do the players have to get to a quarter final before the fans are willing to turn up when the tickets are half price (never mind full price) or do the fans have turn up in their droves before the players make it a priority.

For all those that say a minow can win the cup go and look at how many teams in the final of the FA cup or the League cup have come from outside of the top flight in the last fifty years, then do the same for the last twenty years. 1980 was the last time the FA cup was won by a team out of the top flight. Unless the fans are going to get excited about Oxford at home we can't expect the players to do so.