Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boycott the Oxford Cup game UNLESS ....

13»

Comments

• Is there room in the trophy cabinet?

We have the People's Cup in there, the Kent Senior Cup thing and some of the trophies won by the Academy team. If we won this thing I really don't think we'd have the room. So it's a no from me.
  • Oxford are statistically the team with the 25th best record in the league cup....this could get ugly!!!
  • League cup first round always Gets me as i am loving football being back that week.
  • It's chicken and egg when it comes to the cups.

I normally attend the home matches, work permitting re the midweek ones, but must confess to missing Huddersfield at home last season.

I had some family stuff on but with a lot of effort and rushing around on my part could just about have done both.

I confess to thinking Cup game is it worth it and consequently saved myself worn nerves and petrol by skipping the game.

I didn't even feel guilty which is bad as I used to on the rare occasions I missed home cup games.
  • To Spin Fortune's post on it's head maybe the players should come out and make a statement that until the fans say they are going to take the Cup competitions seriously and then prove it by all turning up and making the atmosphere like it was for Hartlepool last May they will play like they don't care and get themselves out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

The fans stopped coming to cup games years ago why should the club take it seriously?

We probably lose money on most cup games with sub 10,000 crowds paying less than half what they would pay for a league game.

On the basis that we probably can't win the cup, or even get to a final, who's responsibility is it to make the first move. Do the players have to get to a quarter final before the fans are willing to turn up when the tickets are half price (never mind full price) or do the fans have turn up in their droves before the players make it a priority.

For all those that say a minow can win the cup go and look at how many teams in the final of the FA cup or the League cup have come from outside of the top flight in the last fifty years, then do the same for the last twenty years. 1980 was the last time the FA cup was won by a team out of the top flight. Unless the fans are going to get excited about Oxford at home we can't expect the players to do so.

I know you are being tongue in cheek, but playing along, we are the audience, the players are the court jesters. It is up to them to entertain us, it's their job to be excited about playing professional football in front of paying customers. In short, they should take it seriously because they are being paid (by us) to do so.
  • I think our crowds for early round cup ties are actually quite decent (compared to clubs of similar statures)
  • Hang on: Weren't we gonna Boycott Oxford at "Home" (Selhurst) back in the 80's ?
  • To Spin Fortune's post on it's head maybe the players should come out and make a statement that until the fans say they are going to take the Cup competitions seriously and then prove it by all turning up and making the atmosphere like it was for Hartlepool last May they will play like they don't care and get themselves out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

The fans stopped coming to cup games years ago why should the club take it seriously?

We probably lose money on most cup games with sub 10,000 crowds paying less than half what they would pay for a league game.

On the basis that we probably can't win the cup, or even get to a final, who's responsibility is it to make the first move. Do the players have to get to a quarter final before the fans are willing to turn up when the tickets are half price (never mind full price) or do the fans have turn up in their droves before the players make it a priority.

For all those that say a minow can win the cup go and look at how many teams in the final of the FA cup or the League cup have come from outside of the top flight in the last fifty years, then do the same for the last twenty years. 1980 was the last time the FA cup was won by a team out of the top flight. Unless the fans are going to get excited about Oxford at home we can't expect the players to do so.

I know you are being tongue in cheek, but playing along, we are the audience, the players are the court jesters. It is up to them to entertain us, it's their job to be excited about playing professional football in front of paying customers. In short, they should take it seriously because they are being paid (by us) to do so.
    Bravo!

• edited June 2013

To Spin Fortune's post on it's head maybe the players should come out and make a statement that until the fans say they are going to take the Cup competitions seriously and then prove it by all turning up and making the atmosphere like it was for Hartlepool last May they will play like they don't care and get themselves out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

I was being tongue in cheek but I can imagine that the pure atmosphere of a full stadium would lift the players, where as an empty ground could make them feel like it's a bit of a practice match.
  • I get where you are coming from KHA.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    I think there is a good case to make that a successful run affects your league form. Nearly cost Millwall a place in the division last season. I think most of us would prioritise the League greatly too.
  • CAFCTrev said:

We won the FA Cup in 1947 already...do we really need another cup???

And we can't afford the polish !

• Hang on: Weren't we gonna Boycott Oxford at "Home" (Selhurst) back in the 80's ?

Beat me to it.that game ended 0-0.we should all have stayed at home.
  • Hee hee hee. This thread is all about boycotting coc!
  • Reading CP's comments today, I wonder if he reads CL!

“We need to change our cup form, though. We had a little FA Cup run in 2011/12, albeit when we had to start in the first round, and we got a glamour tie at Fulham, and we played in the third round at Tottenham a year earlier so I’m sure all our fans enjoyed that.

“It just didn’t happen this year, but it hasn’t happened for us for many a year at Charlton and that’s something I want to change, no doubt.

“We’ve seen other teams get to finals and semi-finals and I’m sure everyone, including me, will be thinking ‘it will be nice if it was us’. It would be just great for us to have a moment like that and it’s something for us to try and achieve.”

Definitely a statement of intent!
  • Hmmmm, does this mean the boycott is off?

Confused.
  • Jodaius said:

Reading CP's comments today, I wonder if he reads CL!

“We need to change our cup form, though. We had a little FA Cup run in 2011/12, albeit when we had to start in the first round, and we got a glamour tie at Fulham, and we played in the third round at Tottenham a year earlier so I’m sure all our fans enjoyed that.

“It just didn’t happen this year, but it hasn’t happened for us for many a year at Charlton and that’s something I want to change, no doubt.

“We’ve seen other teams get to finals and semi-finals and I’m sure everyone, including me, will be thinking ‘it will be nice if it was us’. It would be just great for us to have a moment like that and it’s something for us to try and achieve.”

Definitely a statement of intent!

Chris has his finger on the pulse , i wonder what his username is?

• I think there is a good case to make that a successful run affects your league form. Nearly cost Millwall a place in the division last season. I think most of us would prioritise the League greatly too.

Obviously agree on the prioritisation, but I'd say that not being very good and operating on a tiny budget was what almost cost Milwall who looked toothless once Wood moved on. The cup run was the bright spot for them.

I really don't believe that six extra games and a bit more squad rotation materially affects a 46 game season. Certainly less than the counter balancing effect of the lift that a cup run brings and the opportunities it affords to squad players to come to the fore.

• I think there is a good case to make that a successful run affects your league form. Nearly cost Millwall a place in the division last season. I think most of us would prioritise the League greatly too.

Obviously agree on the prioritisation, but I'd say that not being very good and operating on a tiny budget was what almost cost Milwall who looked toothless once Wood moved on. The cup run was the bright spot for them.

I really don't believe that six extra games and a bit more squad rotation materially affects a 46 game season. Certainly less than the counter balancing effect of the lift that a cup run brings and the opportunities it affords to squad players to come to the fore.

But if three of those six games are big enough to affect the players attitudes, and cause fixture congestion you could end up playing three games in eight days three times more than the other clubs. However, I think the biggest issue is the way the players play in the games before and after a Cup game that matters more to their careers than the club's league position.

Many players would be willing to suffer relegation with a club like Charlton (or Millwall) for a chance to play in an FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley. If we assume that the games before and after the last three cup games are affected that's a potential 18 points. Clearly the cup games won't change all of those results but it can have an impact. There is also evidence that teams fall apart after a cup run and the league form dissolves - rather like we did when we lost the quarter final at Old Trafford in 1994. We lost the league game before and then we went on to lose eight of the following nine games. We were second in the table the week before we played Bolton and after that run we had fallen to thirteenth.

Sometimes a cup run is great, sometimes it's not, but it's not just as simple as saying you just have to play another six games.
  • edited June 2013
    KHA , Thankyou for putting my thoughts into words, I'd forgotten how bad a run we went on after the Man U game , not saying id turn down a cup run, but makes me wonder what people's expectations in general are for the season coming up and whether we overachieved in the league this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013

KHA , Thankyou for putting my thoughts into words, I'd forgotten how bad a run we went on after the Man U game , not saying id turn down a cup run, but makes me wonder what people's expectations in general are for the season coming up and whether we overachieved in the league this season.

Yeah it is worrying. There were certain doughnuts on here calling for his head last season when it was a new Tough league and spent no money.

i expect the same will happen next season.
  • KHA , Thankyou for putting my thoughts into words, I'd forgotten how bad a run we went on after the Man U game , not saying id turn down a cup run, but makes me wonder what people's expectations in general are for the season coming up and whether we overachieved in the league this season.

Yeah it is worrying. There were certain doughnuts on here calling for his head last season when it was a new Tough league and spent no money.

Yeah, but surely it's only reasonable that we win all of our home games 4-0 whilst playing attractive football, win the league in February and qualify for Europe next season, innit?
  • KHA , Thankyou for putting my thoughts into words, I'd forgotten how bad a run we went on after the Man U game , not saying id turn down a cup run, but makes me wonder what people's expectations in general are for the season coming up and whether we overachieved in the league this season.

I don't think anyone can really claim to have over or under acheived last season as the league was so close. A couple of wins or losses and team shot from relegation fodder to play off contenders. We put a good run together at the end which elevated our final position, had they been a few losses it would have been very different so you can't claim an entire seasons ability on it.
  • Jodaius said:

Yeah, but surely it's only reasonable that we win all of our home games 4-0 whilst playing attractive football, win the league in February and qualify for Europe next season, innit?
    I also remember the " i'm not renewing" brigade when the waters seemed a bit rough. Didn't hear that post Bolton result.
  • I hear what your saying DRF, but I would suspect a fair few people will be thinking we finished 9th, surely we can aim to finish higher this season.

Now we may well finish higher this season, I don't know the plan or the budget, but if we get off to a slow start , last seasons good finish to the season will be quickly forgotten.

I think it's important for the players to have a cracking break, let the fans leave them alone on Twitter and let them recharge their batteries for the battle ahead.

I went to Welling yesterday to get tickets, they had their trophy their that they won last season, and by jingo are they going to be up for it, the pitch looked cracking, not yet ready but cracking none the less, we need to hit the ground running.
  • DRF said:

I don't think anyone can really claim to have over or under acheived last season as the league was so close. A couple of wins or losses and team shot from relegation fodder to play off contenders. We put a good run together at the end which elevated our final position, had they been a few losses it would have been very different so you can't claim an entire seasons ability on it.
    If you can't judge a season on final league position then what can you judge it on? The same could be said about most of the other teams in the league. The fact is that we finished 9th because, over the course of the 46 games, we were the 9th best team.

I don't think we have a automatic right to assume that our finishing position next year should be any higher. Obviously it wouldn't be possible for every club to improve their position every year! However, I do think we're on an upwards trend. Let's just wait until the start of the season, take one game at a time, and see where that takes us - it's worked well for us for the last couple of years!
  • Jodaius said:

DRF said:

If you can't judge a season on final league position then what can you judge it on? The same could be said about most of the other teams in the league. The fact is that we finished 9th because, over the course of the 46 games, we were the 9th best team.

I don't think we have a automatic right to assume that our finishing position next year should be any higher. Obviously it wouldn't be possible for every club to improve their position every year! However, I do think we're on an upwards trend. Let's just wait until the start of the season, take one game at a time, and see where that takes us - it's worked well for us for the last couple of years!
    Brilliant post.

I do fear that some will get the hump if we don't improve upon 9th due to a lack of patience to get back to the Premier League. If we finish in or around mid table, I think that will again be a very reasonable achievement.
  • Well, we're currently 9th and will stay there until August 3rd unless someone higher in the alphabet goes into admin.
    My birthday is on the 6th, not sure if I want to make a night of it in SE7 yet. Anyone got any convincing arguments one way or the other?
    (I can't make the Welling or Caly friendlies either... so by then I will be desperate for some football....)
  • edited June 2013
    9th but only three points from 6th - although the 6th placed points tally was a record low in a competetive league. Thje first thing we have to do is strengthen the squad- as others have alluded to, we have to wait and see what activity occurs before we can have a true picture of where we will finish. Having said that, the team grew into the league and we do have a terrific platform to push on with even modest investment.

I am quite happy watching fringe players in the league cup, but expect a stronger side in the FA cup.
  • CAFCTrev said:

We won the FA Cup in 1947 already...do we really need another cup???

And we can't afford the polish !

Shame, I had high hopes for a Pawel Abbott return.