Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Southgate FFS. We need an U21 coach with experience developing players, with the highest coaching skills and knowledge of the modern game. Not some ex-pro, failed manager who hasn't played for the best part of a decade.
  • if someone like Southgate does get the job, I give up.

what randy andy said.
  • What if we get a coach who has all that but never played at all Andy, as suggested elsewhere?
  • I don't care if they played, having played isn't a qualification that has any particular reference. Are they a good coach? That's all that matters. Now having played can make it easier to be a good coach, but equally it can make you a worse coach as you may have a closed mind, coaching the way you played without being open to new ideas or techniques.

Did Wenger play? Did Mourinho play? Did Les Reed play? Did Damian Matthew play?

Look at the most successful managers in recent prem history, Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger. Only Fergie played and by all accounts he was nothing more than an adequate defender at best.
  • Southgate actually brought through quite a few young players at boro and wasn't he the one that put together the EPPP?

Michael Appleton, who worked with senior England manager Roy Hodgson and FA director of elite development Dan Ashworth at West Bromwich Albion, and recently retired Everton midfielder Phil Neville, who was part of Pearce's backroom staff in Israel, are other possible candidates.
  • Lets replace one manager with a poor record and isn't experienced with another one that's exactly the same! What could go wrong!
  • I think it would be a good job for Curbs to get back in to management.
  • somebody mentioned less reed lol
  • Sponsored links:

• nolly said:

somebody mentioned less reed lol

Brilliant coach, but a lousy manager...

• I don't care if they played, having played isn't a qualification that has any particular reference. Are they a good coach? That's all that matters. Now having played can make it easier to be a good coach, but equally it can make you a worse coach as you may have a closed mind, coaching the way you played without being open to new ideas or techniques.

Look at the most successful managers in recent prem history, Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger. Only Fergie played and by all accounts he was nothing more than an adequate defender at best.

This all the way. The U21 is more about development than actual management.
  • Crazy decision. Pearce only gets to pick the players and we aren't good enough.
    Need players who can hold the ball and pass quickly and accurately across the whole pitch.
    His record is actually very good given the players we have.
  • But it's not about his record. The point isn't to win every U21 game by grinding out results, it's to develop the players, and playing the sort of football we've seen recently in no way does that, whether it wins us games or not.
  • edited June 2013

Crazy decision. Pearce only gets to pick the players and we aren't good enough.
    Need players who can hold the ball and pass quickly and accurately across the whole pitch.

Are you kidding me????

It's perfectly clear that his tactical nous is non existent. There's only so far you can go by screaming "come on" at 11 professionals.

He clearly lost all respect from the players. He came out after each match and blamed the players. It was never his fault. I'm not one who likes managers protecting their players but to slam his players the way he did was suicide.

He also spoke about the 'bad' players he had at the tournament....mid tournament!!! How would you feel if your boss said he was gutted he had to pick you and he only did it because the good ones were playing elsewhere.

For me he lost all respect when he failed to pick David Beckham for the Olympics. It was a global event showcasing Great Britain and Beckham would have been the perfect leader. He failed to realise that with Beckham in the squad the whole atmosphere of each match would have been transformed. Not forgetting what Beckham did to get us the bleeding Olympics in the first place. Instead he purposefully made the decision so that people could talk about HIM as HE'S the boss.

Good riddance Pearce.
  • Paul hart would be a good choice, not that I'd want to lose him.

Reality is, until we have full scale reform to the setup of the national team with a clear unified approach at all levels, changing the manager will just be window dressing.
  • Crazy decision. Pearce only gets to pick the players and we aren't good enough.

Are you kidding me????

It's perfectly clear that his tactical nous is non existent. There's only so far you can go by screaming "come on" at 11 professionals.

He clearly lost all respect from the players. He came out after each match and blamed the players. It was never his fault. I'm not one who likes managers protecting their players but to slam his players in the way he did was suicide.

He also spoke about about bad the players he had at the tournament....mid tournament!!! How would you feel if your boss said he was gutted he had to pick you and he only did it because the good ones were playing elsewhere.

For me he lost all respect when he failed to pick David Beckham for the Olympics. It was a global event showcasing Great Britain and Beckham would have been the perfect leader. He failed to realise that with Beckham in the squad the whole atmosphere of each match would have been transformed. Not forgetting what Beckham did to get the bleeding Olympics in the first place. Instead he purposefully made the decision so that people could talk about him as HE'S the boss.

Good riddance Pearce.
    This!

• Give it to curbs for our enjoyment

Damian Matthew played for Chelsea
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

I don't care if they played, having played isn't a qualification that has any particular reference. Are they a good coach? That's all that matters. Now having played can make it easier to be a good coach, but equally it can make you a worse coach as you may have a closed mind, coaching the way you played without being open to new ideas or techniques.

Damian Matthew played for Chelsea
    Didnt Wenger play as well, ligue 2

• Hardly top careers though. Why is southgate even being considered?
  • Isn't Southgate already 'head of elite development'? Wouldn't mind someone like Hart (like Hart but not actually Hart) who is proven at Youth Level. Or someone like Glen Hoddle who is passionate about it. I reckon even Beckham would do well at Youth Level but him and Hoddle would probably be better at younger levels like U16 .

Are you kidding me????

He clearly lost all respect from the players. He came out after each match and blamed the players. It was never his fault. I'm not one who likes managers protecting their players but to slam his players the way he did was suicide.

He also spoke about the 'bad' the players he had at the tournament....mid tournament!!! How would you feel if your boss said he was gutted he had to pick you and he only did it because the good ones were playing elsewhere.

For me he lost all respect when he failed to pick David Beckham for the Olympics. It was a global event showcasing Great Britain and Beckham would have been the perfect leader. He failed to realise that with Beckham in the squad the whole atmosphere of each match would have been transformed. Not forgetting what Beckham did to get us the bleeding Olympics in the first place. Instead he purposefully made the decision so that people could talk about HIM as HE'S the boss.

Good riddance Pearce.
    Exactly this.

I tend to agree, especially about the closed mind. That said I could take up three pages with coaches past and present who were players, and just being a knob, Fergie was actually a forward.
  • I'm glad some of you agree with my point above.

I honestly thought it was just me!
  • Really, for some reason I though fergie was a full back.

Are you kidding me????

He also spoke about the 'bad' players he had at the tournament....mid tournament!!! How would you feel if your boss said he was gutted he had to pick you and he only did it because the good ones were playing elsewhere.

Good riddance Pearce.
    And this
  • As a player, Pearce gave the impression of being all brawn and no brain.

And as a manager - if you trash your players in public, you lose your dressing room.

• edited June 2013

Crazy decision. Pearce only gets to pick the players and we aren't good enough.

Are you kidding me????

Good riddance Pearce.
    So what did Beckham do that got us the Olympics?
    Your comment about why he didn't pick Beckham is just pathetic! and love the embellishment. LOL
    Tactical nous? I'm sure you are an expert on this! As said his record is actually outstanding with a final and a semi during his tenure.
    Our players aren't good enough. Fact!
    Maybe Golden Balls should be offered the job! Win us the next euro-u21's, then take on the Full England managers role and win us the world cup in 2018, before retiring and becoming the next Pope. ;-)