Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 20 World Cup

England's campaign gets underway in this competition tonight. If you "don't give a ****" then prove that by ignoring the thread and not posting.

Otherwise, here's my observations on the squad - having had a peek at the FA website.

Eight of the squad are from Liverpool (3) or Everton (5 - including Dier on loan from Sporting, and Garbutt and Stone, poached from championship teams).

From outside the top flight, one from Forest, one from Sheff Utd and three from Middlesbrough.

Three from Man Utd, two from Spurs and one each from West Ham (Steve Potts' son), Newcastle (pinched from Coventry) and Southampton.

So it seems you have to play for a team in the North West, or - bizarrely - Middlesbrough to get a shout. The old net doesn't seem to have been cast too far and wide here if you ask me?

Still, best of luck to 'em! Come on England!

Comments

• I posted this on the other thread about u20 football, but I still can't figure out if the young Nigerian player we signed from FC Luzern is at the tournament or not based on his tweets (I'm not even sure what his real name is but none of the squad lists list a player from Charlton)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Endurancemiz1/tweets

As for England, it's hard to say as I only really recognise some of the players in this squad, although they must be good players if Callum Harriott can't get a look in, this chap appears to have never kicked a ball in a first team game
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larnell_Cole whilst Harriott was a big part of a team that was on one of the best runs of form in England at the end of last season.

I watched Turkey v El Salvador last night, Turkey looked good going forwards but El Salvador were poor at the back (this goal pretty much sums up the strengths of one and the weakness of the other http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MXAmdKBWbpI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MXAmdKBWbpI ).

What really struck me about your post was the number of players on the Turkey side who were born and raised in other countries yet the Turkish FA are still scouting them. If the vast majority of our under 20 talent is drawn from one region then I'd hazard a guess that there are more players from London playing for other national teams than England. Are we missing the best talent from under our noses ?
  • There was an article not long ago that mentioned Middlesbrough used 12 homegrown players last season, more than any other club in the Championship. Surprisingly Watford were second with 8.

Not quite sure what they mean by homegrown, if Wilson, Green and Haynes count we must have been on 6 (Solly, Wagstaff, Harriott being the others). Of course we also had several u21s on the bench that didn't make a league appearance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/watford/10080387/Watford-manager-Gianfranco-Zola-ready-to-cash-in-his-chips-in-high-stakes-Wembley-play-off-final.html

Harriott and Azeez have been in England u19 squads (and Cousins on standby I think) last season and Sho-Silva and Holmes-Dennis have been with the England u18s. It'll be interesting to see if they're called up for the u20s and u21s in the next few years.
  • England v Iraq on Eurosports tonight at 7pm.
  • 1-0 get in there
  • 2-1. Will England hold on against the mighty Iraq?
  • Never seen a player kiss the ref. LOL
  • Terrible defending. You have to despair for England's future if this lot is anything to go by.
  • 2-2 FFS...................why oh why are we cursed in international sport, Bollox
  • It's in our blood to fuck it up
  • Sponsored links:

• A good draw for plucky England...
  • Just in, didn't see the game. How did England play ? Is Harriott definately not good enough to get into this team ?
  • se9addick said:

Just in, didn't see the game. How did England play ? Is Harriott definately not good enough to get into this team ?

Up and down, gave it away to easily as usual.............scored 2 good goals then defensive frailties set in. Goalie lucky not to see red when giving away a pen and then in Injury time Iraq player allowed to dribble this way and that in the box before scoring.
    Harriott good enough for this team.

• se9addick said:

Just in, didn't see the game. How did England play ? Is Harriott definately not good enough to get into this team ?

Up and down, gave it away to easily as usual.............scored 2 good goals then defensive frailties set in. Goalie lucky not to see red when giving away a pen and then in Injury time Iraq player allowed to dribble this way and that in the box before scoring.

Ah well, the Iraqis were probably really up for it, what with us occupying their country for ages and all that.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Ah well, the Iraqis were probably really up for it, what with us occupying their country for ages and all that.
    Probably depends if any of their parents or relatives were beaten up or murdered by Saddam's bully boys I expect...
  • Last night my stat mad mate, Tom, brought in a print out of the squad from the U20 world cup ten years ago. Again almost all the players were on the books of the usual suspects. The only one to go on and win a full England cap was James Milner. From the squad two years before that, only Ashley Cole and Peter Crouch went on to gain caps.
  • Last night my stat mad mate, Tom, brought in a print out of the squad from the U20 world cup ten years ago. Again almost all the players were on the books of the usual suspects. The only one to go on and win a full England cap was James Milner. From the squad two years before that, only Ashley Cole and Peter Crouch went on to gain caps.

Interesting, was the squad as north west heavy as this years ? I wonder how that number of players who go on to win a full cap compares to other countries
  • Five of twenty from the North West. In 2009 it was 9 from 21!
  • Scoham said:

There was an article not long ago that mentioned Middlesbrough used 12 homegrown players last season, more than any other club in the Championship. Surprisingly Watford were second with 8.

Ok you probably can discount Bonham (goalie who came on against Leeds) but there was Bond, Hoban, Smith and Murray often involved in the 1st team squad - the last 3 were injured though at the latter end of the season.

Also Lloyd Doyley but he is hardly a youngster now!
  • Playing Chile at the mo. 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh dear, pen given away. 1-0 Chile
  • We are absolutely dreadful
  • Chile are very strong at this level. The South Americans are far more into U20 than U21s.
  • edited June 2013
    England haven't won a game in an U20 World Cup Finals tournament since 1997. They haven't qualified every time since, so the run stands at 15 games before today.

Record = W0-D6-L9 GF-4 GA-17
  • get in there Harry Kane 1-1
  • Peter Crokers nephew, Eric Dier is playing for England.
  • 1-1 final score, a tad unlucky. Ross Barkley looks like he will be a star in the future. Wouldn't mind him on loan for next season. Maybe CP could sort it out while in Turkey.
  • Final game is against Egypt
  • egypt vs iraq 1-1 ht
  • 2-1 Iraq