Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most recent player to over-perform regularly for England

2»

Comments

• Options

Owen Hargreaves

Can't see that - only did well for England for a couple of years (albeit because he was shunted around midfield and/or not given many starts for years), but did well at Bayern for a few years in a row.

Vassell was m first thought, too, and Crouch is a good shout.

Before that, Anderton was a sicknote for Spurs but always seemed to get for in time to do well for England at major tournaments.
  • Options

Always thought Steve Coppell was a good example of this.. decent for Man Utd..excellent for England.

Vassell is a good one and I never understood why Crouch wasn't the first name on the England team sheet.

Maybe Terry Butcher and Rio Ferdinand also?

More recently, I think big Andy Carroll could be an England "over-performer" given half a chance.
  • Options
    David Nugent
  • Options
    I still think international football is much like international cricket. You may well score runs or take wickets at county level and have a great technique, but the international stage is different and suits a different kind of player that traditionally does well in English county cricket. I think it could be the same in football, crouch being a big example. Another being Klose who never scored more than 10 goals a season really for bayern but scored shed loads on the international stage. Maybe it just counts with strikers...
  • Options
    Always like Danny Welbeck when he plays for England as the support striker but it doesn't seem like he has been as impressive for United recently even though SAF clearly trusted him.

Maybe im underrating him based on how he has been recently, but Joe Cole was one of England's best players from 04 onwards for a few years but I don't remember him being that key a player for Chelsea apart from odd spells.
  • Options
    Another being Klose who never scored more than 10 goals a season really for bayern but scored shed loads on the international stage. Maybe it just counts with strikers...

At BM he played in a support role for Luca Toni and Lukas Podolski and was often rotated out of the starting XI. At Werder Bremen and Kaiserslautern he played more as an out and out striker and he would average a goal every two games or so and at Lazio his goal scoring record has been much better.