Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Isle of Wight recommendations

Off there this summer, and not had a chance to look into at all.

Grateful for any recommendations for places / things to do / recommended beaches etc. Staying between Ryde and Bembridge

Have two little uns so that's the main thing.

Any thoughts / advice gratefully received

Comments

• Options
    Nice beach at St Helens which is next to Bembridge, although you will need to get there before 10am as the car park get full. The kids will like Robin Hill Country Park.
  • Options
    For nice food at a reasonable (not cheap) price, try the beach hut café at Bembridge, but book a table first, excellent lunch menu particularly if you like lobo's crabs, seafood.
  • Options
    Theres a really cool glass place in sandown called glory art glass. They show you how they make their funky ornaments and you can buy them.

Fun fact: on my year 6 leavers trip i snapped a pic of a ghost in carisbrooke castle. Didn't realise til it had got developed.
  • Options
    We used to have a lot of family holidays to Colwell Bay which is on the west side of this island....nice beach and there are a few nice family friendly restaurants and pubs close by.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Alum bay and the needles used to be worth a look. Blackgang chine. That still going?
  • Options
    Brading Wax works.
  • Options
    Hi Afka, as you may have seen from my occasional posts I live on the Isle of Wight and there are lots of beautiful places to go and see. Ventnor beach where I live is beautiful as is the walk along the cliff path to steephill cove past the cricket ground, treat yourself to a freshly caught crab sandwich. Sandown beach great for kids too and the Tiger zoo/ sanctuary is very nice. As also mentioned the kids will love Blackgang Chine and Robin Hill adventure park and can return free as many times as you like for 7 days free of charge. Very nice little Bay at Priory Bay just along from Bembridge, need to access on foot near St Helen's but lots of boats parked up on a nice day but no shops etc so take a picnic. Anyway feel free to pic my brains if want any more info :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Brading Wax works.

All melted in the heat I'm afraid. Every last one now looks like Lempit Opik.
  • Options
    Afraid Brickfields and wax works have shut up shop
  • Options
    Shame about the waxworks, you couldnt hold a candle to them.
  • Options
    Seconded, couldn't get enough of the place as a kid.
  • Options
    Breakfast at Fakenham Farm opposite the Nodes Point Holiday Park entrance.
    Bit of a kids farm there too (tiny pigs and all that stuff)

Then go to Robin Hill country park.
    Take a whole day picnic and the bats and balls etc.

Watch the birds of pray exhibition (free) - huge things that the bloke gets to fly just above the kids' heads (screams all round).
    Then take them to the dry toboggan run (about 2 quid a go) - there is nothing quite like it for kids (screams all round).

Back to Bembridge for dinner and ice creams at the Baywatch Diner on the beach (St Helen's Duver ?)
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input. My kids only turned 3 this week so some of the things they'll be too young for, but appreciate all the ideas.

Just stumbled across the steam railway. Think they'll like that
  • Options

Thanks for all your input. My kids only turned 3 this week so some of the things they'll be too young for, but appreciate all the ideas.

Just stumbled across the steam railway. Think they'll like that

You be careful
  • Options
    Don't go there.
  • Options
    Robin Hill is my kids fave
  • Options
    Give the Garlic Farm a swerve
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's compulsory to fill up glass ornaments with different colours of sand in layers. I still think its a local law that every visitor must do this.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Brading Wax works.

As previously said that's been closed and pulled down I'm afraid.... Real shame.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    The Dinosaur museum at Shanklin is excellent.

• Options
    Blackgang and Robin Hill are both decent days out and you can save a few quid by buying a combined ticket. Seaview animal park is really good - they let kids feed the penguins and they can get in the enclosures with a number of animals. Amazon World is worth a visit - the lemur experience is pretty good.

If you are really lucky one of Newport IOW, East Cowes Victoria or Cowes Sports will be at home and you can get some footie in!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Calbourne Water Mill is nice - very good for lunch or cream teas. The mill itself is interesting and there is a rural museum. Loads of peacocks and ducks by a lovely lake and river. When you have paid once, your ticket is valid for the whole week.

The Wight Mouse Inn at Chale is a good place to take the family - there is a huge garden and is very child friendly.

As someone previously mentioned the Flamingo Park at Seaview is good for children. You can buy bags of bird seed to feed the ducks and geese which wander everywhere. If you let them, they will eat out of your hand. There is a good 'walk through' section where you can get close the wallabies and other animals.

Your family will love the Isle of Wight it is a great place for people of all ages and so much to see and do. If you're travelling with Wight Link they give you a free guide to the Island.
  • Options
    Does Colonel Bogey's still exist in Ryde?! Had a wild night there with a few Charlton boys one night a few years back. If I remember rightly it was 80p a drink.....carnage haha
  • Options
    Bogeys in Sandown has recently closed down. Yes they used to have an 80's night once a month with cheap drinks :-)
  • Options
    Was there last week. Been going for years. Great stuff. Model village in Godshill is a must. Black gang chine is fine for even the youngest kids and there is stuff there for parents too. Tamarind Indian restaurant In Newport is good. Arreton barns is quite good fun and is free to get in. There is a new House of Chilli near Godshill which is worth popping into. For family friendly meals, the White lLion and the Dairyman's daughter at Arreton and the Buddle Inn at Niton are good for pub grub. Compton beach is brilliant and massive. If you are prepared to walk a few hundred yards you'll get a spot all to yourself. Needles old battery js interesting and go to the old rocket site for spectacular photos. Excellent Chinese takeaway in Ventnor called the mandarin I think. Steephill cove is gorgeous but a bit inaccessible if you have prams etc.
  • Options
    Webby you are very lucky to live on the Isle of Wight - my husband and I would like to retire there in a few years. We've visited the island many times and both had family holidays there when we were children.
  • Options
    I only remember the lift down the steep cliff and a pub at the end of the road with a pirate outside.