Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Youth Players You Thought Would Make It

Comments

• Options
    Adrian Deane was promising each time I watched the reserves and youth teams.
  • Options

Mambo has the physique to make it as a top league defender, whether he will develop the skills and know how is another question

I saw Mambo only once, in a Cup tie at The Valley a couple of years ago, against non-league Luton I believe. While his physique was impressive I thought he was a bit musclebound and therefore slow to turn. We drew, 1-1.

• Options
    Danny Warden c.1990 I think we actually got him from Arsenal's youth so technically not one of ours, but he was still a teenager when he played for us. Saw him absolutely terrorize reserve teams at Welling and couldn't wait for him to debut, yet he only played about half a game and then vanished.
  • Options
    Josh Wright is 23 - bear in mind he left the club when we were relegated into L1 and played for Scunthorpe, then in the championship.

I think at the end of his contract at Scunny he got injured and was out of the game for a short while before Millwall picked him up and he's been a decent player for them.
  • Options
    Was very impressed with Mambo v Reading (cup game 2 years ago) and think he will play at Championship level one day. Also agree with Arter and Wright. Not Tuna though, always knew he would never make it.
  • Options
    Arter, and Jamie Martin used to score goals for fun. Ricketts and Pell seemed decent ball playing defenders.
  • Options
    Paul Linger was excellent at youth level.
  • Options
    Franco Rossi was a regular for the ressie's when i used to bunk of school to watch them. Along with Marcus smart, Sam appiah and Richmond donker. I wonder what happened to those guys.
  • Options
    I always thought Sankofa looked awful. Couldn't believe he was with us when we were in the Prem. Thought Weston and McCafferty would go on to big things. I also thought Lawrie Wilson looked quality at the time but I think it was mostly his pace at that level that did it
  • Options
    Tony Booth, I thought that he and Paul Walsh from the year below stood out and were destined for bigger and better from the youth ranks towards the end of the 70's. Half right eh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Franco Rossi was a regular for the ressie's when i used to bunk of school to watch them. Along with Marcus smart, Sam appiah and Richmond donker. I wonder what happened to those guys.

Rossi Franco. That group was from the late 80's/Early 90's.
  • Options
    The Nigerian lad who was a striker and changed his name. Left us and signed for West Ham then disappeared off the radar. Think work permit probs. There was also a chap Spurs poached off us similar time as Defoe left us - Ford?? Remember Murrey on talk Charlton saying he was gutted about Defoe but pleased the other chap had gone for cash and he was right!
  • Options
    You mean Danny Uchechi/Chima Orelaja. He changed back to Danny Uchechi. Was also with Leicester and Sheff Wed after us.

Owen Price was the player Spurs poached http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/931084.stm

Arter and Wright should have got a proper chance under Pardew. Instead he thought we needed about 8 CMs and signed Racon, Sinclair, Dorian Smith etc. Persisted with Matt Holland and played Semedo & Ambrose in CM, both arguably out of position.

Tuna was one of many players that are decent at youth level but didn't have enough to their game to make it at Champ level.

No reason why Mambo can't eventually make it at this level. Cort is hardly pacey or comfortable on the ball, think Mambo still has a chance if things work out for him.
  • Options
    I thought Neil McCafferty would be the next Scott Parker. I also thought Stephan Andersen would be the next Peter Schmeickel.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

You mean Danny Uchechi/Chima Orelaja. He changed back to Danny Uchechi. Was also with Leicester and Sheff Wed after us.

Owen Price was the player Spurs poached http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/931084.stm

Arter and Wright should have got a proper chance under Pardew. Instead he thought we needed about 8 CMs and signed Racon, Sinclair, Dorian Smith etc. Persisted with Matt Holland and played Semedo & Ambrose in CM, both arguably out of position.

Tuna was one of many players that are decent at youth level but didn't have enough to their game to make it at Champ level.

No reason why Mambo can't eventually make it at this level. Cort is hardly pacey or comfortable on the ball, think Mambo still has a chance if things work out for him.

As soon as Wright had a break through into the first team he said to Parky that he wanted to be first choice, obviously Parky told him to get lost and so he put in a transfer request. As for Arter, didn't he get into a punch up with moutakil?
  • Options
    Wright made his debut under Pardew at a time when he was desperate.

Do we know the truth about Arter and Yassin?

My point really was that they are both going to be playing Champ football next season. They were coming through at a time when we could have slowly brought them through. Instead Pardew signed others ahead of them who were no better and they never got a real chance with us.

If they were coming through now I think Powell would manage them better and they'd have had more chance of breaking into our first team.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Richmond Donker robbed a bank.....allegedly.

• Options

I thought Neil McCafferty would be the next Scott Parker. I also thought Stephan Andersen would be the next Peter Schmeickel.

Tbf Anderson is Denmark's No.1

seth plum said:

Paul Linger was excellent at youth level.

Saw him score a brilliant lobbed curler in a pre season friendly against Erith & Belvedere once. I had as good a view as anyone because it was my debut in goal for E&B!
  • Options
    i thought freddie warren looked really good at times, saw u18s games where he played centre mid and controlled the game, played right back last preseason against welling and put in a great performance, remember his recovery slide challenge, was solly-esque for that first half with his tenacity, energy and composure (as well as height)
  • Options
    Dean Chandler looked a decent centre half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nathan Ashton
  • Options
    Paul Linger & Paul "Smokey" Bacon back in the 90's. Going back further, Matt Elliott who went on to have a pretty good career.................
  • Options
    Well I thought Tamer Tuna would make it.......
    Working at David Lloyd's last thing I heard, I think the lad needs to refocus on what he wants to do?
    Knuckle down and play at whatever level, not get 'moody'.
    Plenty of lads out there do a day's job then play of a weekend/evening.
    If you do not enjoy playing then move on......
    I hope the guy get's back to playing.
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

i thought freddie warren looked really good at times, saw u18s games where he played centre mid and controlled the game, played right back last preseason against welling and put in a great performance, remember his recovery slide challenge, was solly-esque for that first half with his tenacity, energy and composure (as well as height)

Warren didn't get a look in at Barnet last season - doesn't seem to be rated by Edgar Davids in the least.
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

Yep I remember Freddie as a talented but hot-headed midfielder. The impression I got was something went out of his game when he tried to curb his natural aggression.

• Options
    Owen Price...that was him!

http://archive.mehstg.com/fact_owenprice.htm

Interesting link to his "career"....Kasey Palmer in 15 years anyone?

Show's the step up to a big club is not as exciting as many youngsters think
  • Options
    Leigh hales
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Charlie McDonald was the one that sprung to mind when I saw the title.

Bowyer had a good career but never really won anything and I don't think he got much (if any) recognition at international level. When he was coming through I thought he could have been exceptional but he just turned out to be decent.

He played in a champions league semi final and got only 1 england cap mainly because of his off the field antics. He did pretty well I would say.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Charlie McDonald was the one that sprung to mind when I saw the
    Bowyer had a good career but never really won anything and I don't think he got much (if any) recognition at international level. When he was coming through I thought he could have been exceptional but he just turned out to be decent.

I think that's a tad hard on Bowyer, yes only 1 full England ( although i seem to remember he had quite a few at U18 and U21 ) cap but almost 500 professional football matches is not to be sneezed at.
  • Options

Owen Price...that was him!

http://archive.mehstg.com/fact_owenprice.htm

Interesting link to his "career"....Kasey Palmer in 15 years anyone?

Show's the step up to a big club is not as exciting as many youngsters think

A quite extraordinary "career", from being lauded as the next Beckham and signed on a five-year deal at the Spuds, to playing club football in Scandinavia and non-league back in England. Someone mentioned Leigh Hales, Killer's son. What happened to him, and where is he now?