Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Youth Players You Thought Would Make It

13»

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Osei Sankofa, made his debit v Arsenal in the Prem and always looked capable before making it into the First Team. Currently without a club.

He's been turning out for Ebbsfleet in some of their friendlies but I'm not sure if he's signed up or not.

I'd guess that's the Brownie connection.

EDIT: I THINK he made his debut against Man U a year or two before that Arsenal match. Memory could be playing tricks though!
    He'll be lucky to get a gig with Ebbsfleet, but I hope he does. Was in the same class in the Academy class as Stacy Long, Barry Fuller........and ny son!
  • Options
    Not really youths but saw Paul Emblem in a per season and thought he'd make it. Also effenjiagwa, a Nigerian under 21 seemed impossibly exotic. Lisbie always seemed to be banging in hattricks. More recently I'd have thought Toks and Josh Wright were good enough.
  • Options

Owen Price...that was him!

http://archive.mehstg.com/fact_owenprice.htm

Interesting link to his "career"....Kasey Palmer in 15 years anyone?

Show's the step up to a big club is not as exciting as many youngsters think

A quite extraordinary "career", from being lauded as the next Beckham and signed on a five-year deal at the Spuds, to playing club football in Scandinavia and non-league back in England. Someone mentioned Leigh Hales, Killer's son. What happened to him, and where is he now?

Leigh Hales is a very low handicap golfer.
    Works for Balfour Beatty on the railways
  • Options
    Another one that springs to mind is Jamie Stuart, highly promising England U21 international at one time, but fond of the wrong sort of substances...

• Options

Another one that springs to mind is Jamie Stuart, highly promising England U21 international at one time, but fond of the wrong sort of substances...

He was one of the best players I ever played with. At 15, 16 and 17 years of age he had the lot. Sadly not enough between the ears
  • Options
    John Stenson always looked promising in the reserves but (I think) failed to score in a dozen or so first team appearances. Cliff Myers played at Arsenal in the FA Cup, but never became a first team regular. Ray Harford looked a half decent centre half but ended up at Exeter City.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Martin Hicks was a defender with us in the mid seventies and (I think) made the first team once or twice.

He went on to play many years for Reading so did have a career but when you consider that our defence was not the strongest at that time (Farmer Giles, Les Berry, Peter Shaw etc, etc) it is somewhat surprising that he didn't make it with us.
  • Options
    Paul linger im sure he scored a cracker at Ipswich when we won 5-1 at Portman road
  • Options
    Wasn't there a player called The Vin Nygen or something like that ?
  • Options
    Solly stood out as a youth player and has continued to get better. Never a great fan of Shelvey.
    Thought Mambo would do better....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kemal Izzet has had a decent career at Colchester... Wondered if he was ever in the frame for us
  • Options
    Didn't we have some Danish guy called Martin Christensen when he was in the Danish youth teams? I know he didn't come directly through our youth system but he was still young while with us. I think this was around 2006/7?
  • Options
    I always thought Perkins might of played a bit in L1 always used to hear things about him on the website
  • Options
    Whatever happened to that Rufus kid?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

He became goffney's family pooch. True fact that.
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

I always thought Perkins might of played a bit in L1 always used to hear things about him on the website

Perkins still trying hard to become a pro.... Works as a telecommunications engineer now.

• Options
    Rufus and Primus were an outstanding pairing at youth level, and as sure a bet as you could get in those days.
    Indeed Richard Rufus was never regarded as anything other than outstanding at any stage of his footballing career.
  • Options
    Thought Sam Long was as good a prospect as Shelvey, Waggy and Solly, but dont think he's ever played professional football.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Marvin or Richard
  • Options

Thought Sam Long was as good a prospect as Shelvey, Waggy and Solly, but dont think he's ever played professional football.

Currently at Dover
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Didn't we have some Danish guy called Martin Christensen when he was in the Danish youth teams? I know he didn't come directly through our youth system but he was still young while with us. I think this was around 2006/7?

Wasnt he the guy who Pardew signed but never played a first team match as would have cost us too much money?

Quick glance on Wiki says that he's played for a number of clubs since leaving us (Norway, Denmark) and is now playing for some Swedish top division team

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Probably one of those players who could play in a number of positions but never nailed one, hope same doesn't happen to Jordan cousens.
  • Options

Wasnt he the guy who Pardew signed but never played a first team match as would have cost us too much money?

Quick glance on Wiki says that he's played for a number of clubs since leaving us (Norway, Denmark) and is now playing for some Swedish top division team

Christensen.

Pardew at his finest.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/22556/christensen-the-board-or-pards-to-blame

• Options
    After reading the article on Owen Price I did a bit of browsing and came across a few articles on highly touted players who never made it. Not a Charlton player I know, but do you remember Sonny Pike? The 10 year old English lad who had been signed by Ajax to learn his trade and was touted as being World Class. Now plays in the reserves for a Ryman league team.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/26-the-strange-case-of/2012-sonny-pike
  • Options
    The Kimble brothers
  • Options

The Kimble brothers

I think Alan played in the Prem with Wimbledon....

Gary sauntered around clubs like Gillingham from what I remember