Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VALLEY FLOYD ROAD PETITION

http://ipetitions.com/petition/vfr_charltonanthem/

A petition to have valley floyd road played through the pitch tanoy system moments to kick off. (Note it is not to replace red red robin.)

The aim of this petition is to create an atmosphere to be proud of. All home stands singing together to our anthem to produce an encouraging feeling from fans to players.

Before making this its been talked about between fans in detail. This is what a large number of charlton athletic fans want.

If you're a fan that wants this please feel free to submit your details. Once completed, an email will be sent out to Mick Everett to get the ball rolling.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but the Red, Red Robin is our anthem and always will be.

Fair play to you for having a go at improving the atmosphere though.
  • Options

Sorry, but the Red, Red Robin is our anthem and always will be.

Fair play to you for having a go at improving the atmosphere though.

Don't think it's to replace Red Red Robin - that's played when the teams come out. This is to be played prior to kick off.

Sounds ok to me, out of interest where has this been debated ?
  • Options
    I know that but he does refer to VFR as our anthem.
  • Options
    Red Red Robin is the Charlton entry theme, & synonymous with that part of the matchday experience, but its never sung during the game.

VFR is the clubs anthem in the respect that it is sung during games, & it's indeed extremely anthemic. I think it would be a very good way to get people in the mood, & boost the lads & the overall atmosphere just before/just as the game kicks off.
  • Options

It probably is isn't it ?

"1a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause"

Sounds more like VFR to me. I love RRR but it's not really a fans anthem, no one really sings along to it (although I'm an expert in clapping along to it).
  • Options
    I know my point may not be valid to must of you 'old' ;) Charlton fans but I do believe VFR would be a much better song to be played over the tanoy even when the players are on there way out. Red red robin is a little out of date just my opinion.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to lose RRR, they could just fade it out slightly earlier, get the teams read out sooner & then launch VFR just as the teams are about to line up to kick-off.

I still get goosebumps thinking of when the team ran out against Pompey in 92 to the RRR. It is too big a part of our history/tradition to lose it completely. Just my two pence! :-)
  • Options
    Stefco said:

VFR is the clubs anthem in the respect that it is sung during games, & it's indeed extremely anthemic. I think it would be a very good way to get people in the mood, & boost the lads & the overall atmosphere just before/just as the game kicks off.

Seconded.
  • Options
    Play it before the second half kick off.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, atmosphere is created by the fans (feeding off the players to some extent). It makes me cringe a bit when clubs run out to "We will rock you" and other such 'motivational' songs, especially as it makes no difference to how either the team plays, or how much noise the fans make
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

"1a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause"

Sounds more like VFR to me. I love RRR but it's not really a fans anthem, no one really sings along to it (although I'm an expert in clapping along to it).
    I always sing Red Red Robin.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Valley floyd road is normally sung just before kick off anyway...why drown it out with it being played over the tanoy
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Valley floyd road is normally sung just before kick off anyway...why drown it out with it being played over the tanoy

exactly sing it.. then whack it through the PA

:)
  • Options
    edited July 2013

se9addick said:

That's at least two of us then ;-)

My concern with this is that it's a thin end of the wedge, to coin a cliché, and from playing it at some (unspecified) time before kick off it's a short step to replacing the RRR.

As always in this discussion the poster's age will greatly influence their views...someone put a call out for @LenGlover!
  • Options
    Red , red , robin 4 me always sing it with my son.
  • Options

se9addick said:

That's at least two of us then ;-)

My concern with this is that it's a thin end of the wedge, to coin a cliché, and from playing it at some (unspecified) time before kick off it's a short step to replacing the RRR.

As always in this discussion the poster's age will greatly influence their views...someone put a call out for @LenGlover!
    At least 3 who sing along. I always get tingles up my spine when the RRR is played.

But I'm in favour of VFR at kick off, the trouble is at what speed? It's sung faster and faster over time and is in danger of losing it's force as an anthem.

I'd love to see Into the Valley reworded for Charlton as well.

• Options
    Play it b4 red robin , not a problem with that.
  • Options
    boogica said:

Play it b4 red robin , not a problem with that.

This and signed!
  • Options
    what a few clubs do like west ham and millwall is play there anthem just after they have run out just before they kick off then halfway through turn it down and crowd finish it off, when you hear it on the box or live it does sound very impressive especially big/local games.
    this way RRR can be played when they run out then VFR kicks in for kick off, everyones happy
    but all home stands would have to join in with a bit of loud passonate singing, that is where the plan might fail!!!
  • Options

I know my point may not be valid to must of you 'old' ;) Charlton fans but I do believe VFR would be a much better song to be played over the tanoy even when the players are on there way out. Red red robin is a little out of date just my opinion.

I doubt it makes any difference to the way a team plays and the RRR is part of the fabric and history of the club. Anthems - be it VFR or even Simply the Best, We Will Rock You or whatever sound generic to me so I'd personally prefer to keep to tradition and RRR.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options

Red Red Robin will always be our song when we come out but i'm all for Valley Floyd Rd to be played before.

• Options
    Why do we need a petition? Ask glovepup if he can trial it against Middlesborough and see how it goes down.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If you want to get the crowd going before kick off, chuck Agadoo on the record player and then we can all swing our pants ;o)
    PS: That is after Red Red Robins is played when the team enter the field.
  • Options
    I sing along to the RRR as well. And when we're promoted this season, next year will the RRR be cut off for that terrible Premier League anthem again!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ross said:

Why do we need a petition? Ask glovepup if he can trial it against Middlesborough and see how it goes down.

I have already trialled it Ross a few times at the end of last season, played just before kick off. I'm missing the first two home games anyway due to weddings so it won't be me anyway.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

If you want to get the crowd going before kick off, chuck Agadoo on the record player and then we can all swing our pants ;o)
    PS: That is after Red Red Robins is played when the team enter the field.

Agadoo, what a tune! ;-)
  • Options
    Ross said:

Its not a petition to get vfr played more a petition to see how many people would like to hear it/sing along to it. As glovepup he played it at the back end of last season but know one knew of it being played. Resulting in it sounding quite poor. I personally asked paul through facebook to get it going and respectably he gave it a go. Sadly it didn't work. Regarding red red robin. I love song. I sing it to my 1 year old before I put him to bed every night. No change there!

• Options

what a few clubs do like west ham and millwall is play there anthem just after they have run out just before they kick off then halfway through turn it down and crowd finish it off, when you hear it on the box or live it does sound very impressive especially big/local games.
    this way RRR can be played when they run out then VFR kicks in for kick off, everyones happy
    but all home stands would have to join in with a bit of loud passonate singing, that is where the plan might fail!!!

Millwall start Let 'Em Come as the players appear. & then they play a clip of it after every home goal, which is tedious & detracts from the crowd noise.

• Options

Millwall start Let 'Em Come as the players appear. & then they play a clip of it after every home goal, which is tedious & detracts from the crowd noise.

Post goal music, oh dear !