Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Knopfler: Guitarist (don't like don't read/comment)

edited July 2013 in Not Sports Related
amazing guitarist, bloody annoying when he forgets how to play Brothers in Arms.. just watching a Sky Arts session from 2007. Isn't there a story to where he forgot how get got the sound/setup for that track too?

Saw him at the Albert Hall couple of years ago amazing, wish he would tour best of Dire Straits, just for those like me who never got to see them live (tracks)

Comments

• Have seen him a couple of times in the last few years, he's always happy to do a few Straits songs. I love "What It Is" and "The Border Riever" from his newer stuff.
  • just to make you jealous razil, I first saw them at the old Albany Empire around 76/77 as the first album came out. Brilliant night. Still love the solo on sultans of swing.
  • saw Albert Lee live yesterday - still amazing even though nowadays he looks like Ben Gunn without the beard
  • edited July 2013
    Albert Lee. My dad took me to see Everly brothers and he played before them, when I was a nipper. He was a schoolfriends cousin or something! Great guitarist
  • this is a dire straits thread oakster :) Although i'm tempted to post one of my favourite you tube clips of Albert Lee
  • Knew his son at Uni. Would distance himself very much from it all and it took about 2 years for us to actually learn his surname and relation.
  • this is a dire straits thread oakster :) Although i'm tempted to post one of my favourite you tube clips of Albert Lee

sorry Alex & Razil :) - I just expanded it a little to guitarists in general, if I can just digress a little further I also saw World Party at the Calgary Folk Festival yesterday, 3 points for anyone who can name (without cheating & looking it up) - the huge hit penned by Kurt Wallinger
  • Kurt Wallinger - I saw him a couple of times play in The Waterboys, a great band that never quite made it.

No idea about the hit single though...

• Saw World Party at Albert Hall recently - still very good although he has been out of action for some time after suffering an aneurysm. His name is Karl not Kurt. He wrote the song made famous by Robbie Williams - she's the one - personally I prefer World Party's original.
  • Used to live in Deptford. John Illsley went to Goldsmiths. So people who lived in the area back then could have seen them loads for cheap.
    Actually saw him with Bob Dylan at Hammy Odeon earlier this year. (Did see Dire Straights at Red Rocks in USA).
  • Sponsored links:

• Albert Lee is the only famous person to come from my town.
  • Nearly forgot...also Boycey fron Only fools and horses.
  • Was rehearsing in mid 80's at Wood Wharf stufio, MK walked in being shown around by Billy Jenkins, a very surreal moment.
    Great player.
  • Only seen Knopfler once and that was at the RAH when he was guesting for Clapton.
  • Used to work in his old house in Paddington which the new owners had turned into an office downstairs. Still used to get a lot of fan mail addressed to him.
  • Knopfler is the all-time best guitarist for me. Saw him live in Birmingham. Awesome. Gutted that I wasn't old enough to see Dire Straits when they were touring. My dad saw them in '85. I keep meaning to post a copy of Brothers in Arms to him to see if he'll sign it for me.
  • Oakster said:

saw Albert Lee live yesterday - still amazing even though nowadays he looks like Ben Gunn without the beard

*Thread Hijack - Sorry*
    I've seen Albert Lee a few times with the Everly Bros, alone and his other groups (Hogan's Heroes, I think)
    He is the father of an old friend that comes out of SE7.
    Some great performances and interesting to see behind the scenes at some of the venues.

*Back to thread - thanks :)*
  • I know his son Wayne Lee and he's a cafc fan. Big birthday concert for gis old man coming up soon.
  • I was at the same school as Albert Lee!
  • just to make you jealous razil, I first saw them at the old Albany Empire around 76/77 as the first album came out. Brilliant night. Still love the solo on sultans of swing.

I was at that Albany Empire gig too: didn't Knopfler live in Deptford? Pick Withers was on drums (and for Dire Straits' first four albums); he had been the house drummer at Rockfield studios and played with several offshoots of Man.

• Sponsored links:

• MK is one of the most instantly recognisable players on the planet a marvellous lyrical guitarist. Didn't always like all of Dire Straits stuff but he was always outstanding. One of my favourite albums is the one he made with Emmylou Harris called "All the road running" although MK's voice is somewhat idosyncratic it somehow blends brilliantly with Emmylou's.
  • razil said:

I know his son Wayne Lee and he's a cafc fan. Big birthday concert for gis old man coming up soon.

Do you still know wayne? I lost contact many years ago, when he moved out of se7, but do know he's still nvolved with music.
  • As far as I know Wayne has worked at Len Stiles in Lewisham for ages. Albert Lee is absolutely brilliant, he will be with Bill Wymans rhythm kings in Dartford in October I believe.
    Go on Alex, post an Albert Lee link...will it be the stunning 'Country Boy'?
  • Yes, he was at len stiles. Is it still open? Haven't been to lewisham for many years
  • Closed quite a while ago.
  • razil said:

I know his son Wayne Lee and he's a cafc fan. Big birthday concert for gis old man coming up soon.

Do you still know wayne? I lost contact many years ago, when he moved out of se7, but do know he's still nvolved with music.
    Yes Wayne is one of my Facebook buddies, still helps me out with music equipment occasionally, think he had his own shop or online thing nowadays.

Back to Knopfler, I'm not a massive fan of his stuff post Love Over Gold, will tolerate BIA but its massively over produced for my liking. After that he was burnt out in my view, and the production values post that era and genre is not to my liking. Shame because prior to that he is fantastic. Reading some trivia recently about Private Dancer it was due to go out on the LoG album but pulled as MK preferred a female vocal for it.. it is also very reminiscent of the title track for that album in fact it could have been rewritten as that track.

Its shame about the enigmatic Knopfler, amazing talent guitar and lyrics a little wasted in my view but I guess he's earned the right to produce whatever he wants if it makes him happy.
  • He’s got a daytime job, he’s doing alright.
  • Big fan of MKs guitar work. Alchemy is a superb live album although I have to admit I'm happier listening to Dire Straits' live performance than I would have been watching it.
  • 5 years to answer the question. Even my wife moves quicker than that (just).
  • A lady that used to work for me had a husband who hand-made some fancy sort of guitar and Knopfler ordered one - worth several thousand pounds.

Knopfler arrived to collect it and went to walk away with it without paying. He'd assumed he didn't have to pay (despite there being an order placed and an audit trail) as he is who he is. He was told "I don't care who you are - this is my livelihood and you will pay for it"

Knopfler left empty handed

true story