Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Knopfler: Guitarist (don't like don't read/comment)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

A lady that used to work for me had a husband who hand-made some fancy sort of guitar and Knopfler ordered one - worth several thousand pounds.

Knopfler arrived to collect it and went to walk away with it without paying. He'd assumed he didn't have to pay (despite there being an order placed and an audit trail) as he is who he is. He was told "I don't care who you are - this is my livelihood and you will pay for it"

Knopfler left empty handed

true story

Wow, what a prick
  • Options
    This could be good ... or do too many guitarists spoil the riff?

• Options
    So, within a few short posts the thread has gone astray, why do people always do this?

Loved, Sultans of Swing it's still a wonderful song, along with other tunes.

Never seen the man play, probably wished I had. Haven't listened to any of his solo stuff.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He was only telling the story.
    Pick is what they use to play guitar with ain't it?
  • Options
    So, within a few short posts the thread has gone astray, why do people always do this?

Never seen the man play, probably wished I had. Haven't listened to any of his solo stuff.
    Saw Dire Straits at Lewisham Odeon...feels like a million years ago!  But they were terrific (I think)....
  • Options
    Plectrum ?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    A lady that used to work for me had a husband who hand-made some fancy sort of guitar and Knopfler ordered one - worth several thousand pounds. Knopfler arrived to collect it and went to walk away with it without paying. He'd assumed he didn't have to pay (despite there being an order placed and an audit trail) as he is who he is. He was told "I don't care who you are - this is my livelihood and you will pay for it" Knopfler left empty handed true story
    I suspect that Knopfler, rather like a top cricketer with a bat, is used to doing so, saw it as some sort of "sponsorship" and endorsement of the guy's guitars. Doesn't excuse his arrogance though. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:

Saw Dire Straits at Lewisham Odeon...feels like a million years ago!  But they were terrific (I think)....
    Saw them supporting The Who at Lewisham Odeon. Can’t remember when - 1980?
  • Options
    This could be good ... or do too many guitarists spoil the riff?

Zak Starkey, the greatest guitar legend ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t like him
  • Options

??
  • Options
    I thought this going to be about his guitars that he is auctioning off. 

Will be interesting to see what some of them fetch. I did hear him say that he would like them to be played rather than sat on a wall / stand. 
  • Options
    Think he sold 120 guitars, made 8mill or so. Some of the iconic ones on more popular/famous tracks or albums went for 500k plus
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Think he sold 120 guitars, made 8mill or so. Some of the iconic ones on more popular/famous tracks or albums went for 500k plus
    They made £8,840,160, hammer price (ie excluding buyers' premiums). 

They included a Les Paul which was estimated at £300k-£500k, which went for £693,000; another one estimated at £20k-£40k, which went for £403,200; and a third estimated at £10k-£15k, which went for £592,500. 

I think I need to get my guitars valued! 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    red10 said:
    They made £8,840,160, hammer price (ie excluding buyers' premiums). 

They included a Les Paul which was estimated at £300k-£500k, which went for £693,000; another one estimated at £20k-£40k, which went for £403,200; and a third estimated at £10k-£15k, which went for £592,500. 

I think I need to get my guitars valued! 

It's who played them that counts.

(mine are probably worth 15s 6d combined when applying that logic)
  • Options

??
    Albert Lee, the threads not about him!