Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Bale

Talk now of the transfer fee heading towards 90-100m. Spurs should snap Madrid's hand off for that money. In reality he's had one good season and one very good season. 60-70 million would be an amazing price, the fee they're talking about now is absolutely ridiculous.

The thing that annoys me is when i read things like this:

"While the 24-year-old has made it clear to Spurs that he wants to leave, he has no intention of submitting a transfer request and remains hopeful that Levy will allow him to move"

If you're that unhappy Gareth, put in a transfer request and f*ck off. Fed up with these players (Suarez is another) who are supposedly so unhappy yet won't put in a transfer request because they'll lose out on more money.

Comments

• I love how David Pleat has voiced his opinion by saying he is too young to go to Madrid.
  • They need it done sooner rather than later so they can actually spend the money to replace him.

However other clubs are going to bump up their players' prices knowing that Spurs will have all that money.
  • Talk now of the transfer fee heading towards 90-100m. Spurs should snap Madrid's hand off for that money. In reality he's had one good season and one very good season. 60-70 million would be an amazing price, the fee they're talking about now is absolutely ridiculous.

The thing that annoys me is when i read things like this:

"While the 24-year-old has made it clear to Spurs that he wants to leave, he has no intention of submitting a transfer request and remains hopeful that Levy will allow him to move"

If you're that unhappy Gareth, put in a transfer request and f*ck off. Fed up with these players (Suarez is another) who are supposedly so unhappy yet won't put in a transfer request because they'll lose out on more money.

Its the media frenzy around it that annoys me. Bale and Suárez are doing what everyone else would to get a better deal.
  • I take it that we can't afford him. Great player.
  • How tall is he?
  • He hasn't done anything wrong, what player wouldn't want a chance to go Real Madrid. Why cant he be honest with the club and say he wants to go to Real Madrid. I think it's a very respectable not to put a transfer request in, that indicates he wont throw his toys out of the pram if Spurs say no and will give 100% in Spurs shirt next season.
  • edited July 2013

I take it that we can't afford him. Great player.

We made an offer. We said "you give us Bale and in return if you spend over £20 in the club shop on selected items we will knock £5 off"

• I love how David Pleat has voiced his opinion by saying he is too young to go to Madrid.

Equally baffling is Pleat's assertion that he is too young this summer, but next summer he will be old enough. You could argue that it wouldn't be the best move for him at this point due to him having a young family, but Bale's age in absolute terms is surely irrelevant.

• I would love it though if Spurs and bale came out and said he's going nowhere, he never was going anywhere and he's just signed a new 5 year deal. Just to see Madrid flapping.
  • Top quality player but very overrated and never worth that kind of money. Levy's trying to prove a point but we all know he'll sell him in the end. Spurs or Real? It's a no brainer.

If rumours are true that they were offered Coentrao and Di Maria then they should bite their hand off. That's a whole new left side.
  • Sponsored links:

• This needs to get sorted one way or the other ASAP!

He's is my PL fantasy football team and its unsettling the squad.
  • If Spurs get £80M for Bale, perhaps that tight wad Levy may let us have Obika for free ? :-)

Will free up £12m if he does go...

LOL

• Top quality player but very overrated and never worth that kind of money. Levy's trying to prove a point but we all know he'll sell him in the end. Spurs or Real? It's a no brainer.

If rumours are true that they were offered Coentrao and Di Maria then they should bite their hand off. That's a whole new left side.

Those rumours where players are swapped as part of the deal hardly ever happen - it just doubles the excitement and the hysteria the papers can whip up !

Oh and surely there's no way Di Maria would move to Spurs, he's a key player who had a great season last year, I can't see him leaving one of the best teams on Earth for the fifth best team in England
  • Ross said:

This needs to get sorted one way or the other ASAP!

Will free up £12m if he does go...
    Good point but I should get the £80m really.

• I'm glad someone has brought this up.

I'm torn. Of course, I'd like him to stay at Spurs, who wouldnt want a player of that quality to stay. If he stays, I honestly think that if we manage to get Soldado in and maybe one more player, we've got an outside chance of winning the title. The squad we have built in beyond our wildest dreams. We've done it the right way too. Buying in youth players (like Bale) and unproven PL players (like Berbatov and Modric) and selling them on at massive profit and reinvesting. Unlike the classless clubs of Chelsea and Man City who just pretty much spend what they like.

The question is whether RM will actually offer £80m. Its all heresay at the moment. No official bid has been made. You can bet RM or Bale's agent will leak it to the press as soon as it is made to put Levy under pressure to accept it. Do I think they'll offer £80m? No I dont.

If they do, I say take it with both hands. We've got a stadium to build and no player is bigger than the club. Do I think he's worth £80m? Not a chance. He was sensational from Christmas to the end of the season but he was struggling for form at the start of last season. I'm still of the opinion that when he plays inside, he ruins the balance of the team. I've said on here before that he wasnt my player of the season last year as he spent far too much time on the periphery of games. I would have had Dembele, Sandro, Vertonghen, Dawson and Lennon ahead of him who were much more consistent. He is far from the finished article.

Of course, with £80m in the bank, the danger is that other clubs will just inflate their prices as Ross points out. If we're going to sell him, it has to be now rather than wait to the end of the transfer window. Would must rather us take 2 players in return. Benzema and Di Maria would be a good starting point. Bearing in mind they still owe us a considerable sum for Modric, I'd happily take him back too.
  • I would love it though if Spurs and bale came out and said he's going nowhere, he never was going anywhere and he's just signed a new 5 year deal. Just to see Madrid flapping.

One of the more reputable ITKs suggests that Bale has signed a new 2yr extension at £150k pw with Bale being made club captain but Levy wants to announce it at the same time as announcing the Soldado transfer (and one other!). We'll wait and see.

• Got to agree with JB. Bale's compilation tapes are immense, but he disappears when he's stopped from cutting inside, and doesn't have the same range of moves as Ronaldo for beating his man, which is why 80m seems nuts to me. I also felt that the reliance on him toward the end of last season was unbalancing the approach play. Defoe and Bale are not a good combo.
  • EA Sports will be buggered if he does go. All of those FIFA 14 sleeves printed with him on the cover in a Spurs shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw this on twitter yesterday

@Sportsvibe
    Interesting Gareth Bale stat: In the last 3 seasons Spurs have won exactly 50% of their PL games with him starting and 50% without him #THFC
  • Ross said:

EA Sports will be buggered if he does go. All of those FIFA 14 sleeves printed with him on the cover in a Spurs shirt.

And BT Sport. Not going to be shown much on there if he's in la liga.
  • Levy is mad for turning down £80m.

Bale wasnt good enough alone to get them into the CL last season, so he wont be this season.

Sell and go get a £30m/£40m striker and another CB. Over the course of a season, its your squad that gets you a top 4 finish, not one individual.
  • Ross said:

EA Sports will be buggered if he does go. All of those FIFA 14 sleeves printed with him on the cover in a Spurs shirt.

Simple solution

• Levy hasn't turned down anything yet because Madrid haven't actually made an official bid.

All we've had so far is the Madrid newspaper Marca stirring it up on a daily basis.
  • Is he worth as much as Cristiano Ronaldo? Debatable at best. Better? Most certainly not. Ronaldo may be an arrogant S.O.B. but if one trick doesn't work, he's got plenty more where that came from. Bale doesn't have that same capacity for me. It just seems that Bale is much more reliant on the team around him playing well to reach his full effectiveness. Which is not to say Bale is not a damn good player, he certainly is. But he's not £80million good.
  • I think bale is going to get better and better.
  • thenewbie said:

Is he worth as much as Cristiano Ronaldo? Debatable at best. Better? Most certainly not. Ronaldo may be an arrogant S.O.B. but if one trick doesn't work, he's got plenty more where that came from. Bale doesn't have that same capacity for me. It just seems that Bale is much more reliant on the team around him playing well to reach his full effectiveness. Which is not to say Bale is not a damn good player, he certainly is. But he's not £80million good.

No, but then football inflation at the top end is rocketing up. CR is probably 'worth' over £100m now !!!
  • Levy is mad for turning down £80m.

Bale wasnt good enough alone to get them into the CL last season, so he wont be this season.

Sell and go get a £30m/£40m striker and another CB. Over the course of a season, its your squad that gets you a top 4 finish, not one individual.

Exactly, if we buy Soldado (I say if, it sound as though its all done bar dotting the i's and crossing the t's) and then swap Bale for two attacking players like Benzema and Di Maria, thats potentially a championship winning squad right there. With Sandro and Kaboul coming back into the squad after injury, we'll finally be able to play our first choice CB pairing and the Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho midfield trio is just a mouthwatering prospect.

In my eyes, selling Bale really shouldnt be seen as a negative. There's many positives to draw from it and could work massively to our advantage.

• Ross said:

And BT Sport. Not going to be shown much on there if he's in la liga.
    Might just upset HPs advertising campaign in New York too...