Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will everyone please stop panicking?!

Comments

• Options

Here, here!

Some people on this forum are very damning of our (extremely successful) academy, and the players in.

Also, if we spend money that we don't have on players, and break the rules regarding FFP, how will they feel if we get penalised with a points deduction?

I know very little about the impending ffp rules. but surely we are able to spend & pay more than the likes of Millwall, Doncaster and Blackpool considering our bigger gates hence greater revenue

The FFP rules are not based on revenue, they set out the maximum loss a club can make. So we may have greater revenue than Millwall, Doncaster & Blackpool but it will also cost a shed load more to maintain The Valley than the Keepmoat Stadium. So Doncaster could easily be able to afford higher wages for players than we can.
    Why would the Valley cost that much more to maintain, than say the Keepmoat? It's not as we play in the Nou Camp and they play in a park field...
  • Options
    I aint panicking I don't do that just furious at the donut that reckons letting 18 players contracts expire at the same time in ten months
  • Options

Ricardo Fuller will sign by the weekend , and panic will be shelved, temporarily......

Panic back when he starts in goal

• Options
    I think one problem Southern sides have now is the cost of living. Many clubs up North can offer players a wage that allows them to buy a big house as opposed to a 1 bedroom flat in the South.
  • Options
    Get real ! We're DOOMED !
  • Options
    Why would the Valley cost that much more to maintain, than say the Keepmoat? It's not as we play in the Nou Camp and they play in a park field...

Think of the pot holes.

The Keepmoat is somewhat smaller than the Valley.
  • Options
    To mid table obscurity !
  • Options

I think one problem Southern sides have now is the cost of living. Many clubs up North can offer players a wage that allows them to buy a big house as opposed to a 1 bedroom flat in the South.

But how many Southern lads could cope with having to piss in an outside lav at the bottom of the garden? Or having pre-match meals of black pudding, tripe and mushy peas?

Life is tough up ere tha knows.
  • Options
  • Options

Think of the pot holes.

15k vs 27k so yes it's smaller, but then how much do the stands and seats cost to maintain anyway? It's not as if much exterior work gets done to them... And our commercial income must be vastly higher, being in a far more prosperous area.

One area they must have saved money on is the pitch, as their's was even worse than our's last season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Here, here!

Some people on this forum are very damning of our (extremely successful) academy, and the players in.

Also, if we spend money that we don't have on players, and break the rules regarding FFP, how will they feel if we get penalised with a points deduction?

I know very little about the impending ffp rules. but surely we are able to spend & pay more than the likes of Millwall, Doncaster and Blackpool considering our bigger gates hence greater revenue

The FFP rules are not based on revenue, they set out the maximum loss a club can make. So we may have greater revenue than Millwall, Doncaster & Blackpool but it will also cost a shed load more to maintain The Valley than the Keepmoat Stadium. So Doncaster could easily be able to afford higher wages for players than we can.
    Why would a 27,100 capacity stadium in London with London rates, cost more to maintain than a 15,231 basic stadium in S Yorkshire ?

Hmm, why does a 6 bedroom detached house, cost more to maintain, than a 3 bed semi ?

Surely, the answer is obvious ?
  • Options

Think of the pot holes.

Some actually LIVE in pot holes oop north, BFR !

• Options
    As we understand it we are way under any ffp threshold http://www.castrust.org/footy-biz/ffp/
  • Options
    Tis true Ms Fanackapan, tis true.
  • Options
    The problem with our current players is that if they don't see new signings they won't feel like things are moving forward, will damage moral etc.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

The problem with our current players is that if they don't see new signings they won't feel like things are moving forward, will damage moral etc.

OR

The current players have a belief that they, as a collective unit, have the ability to get the club to the Premiership this time around and then, on new bumper contracts, onto the Champions League.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Or they will just be very happy to be considered good enough to play regularly for Charlton, which on the whole - they are.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Dave2l said:

Or they will just be very happy to be considered good enough to play regularly for Charlton, which on the whole - they are.

Very true Tom , lets try and just strap our selves in and enjoy the ride , good bad or indifferent lets keep on getting behind Chris and the boys , roll on Saturday , 1st day of the season , bring it on!

COYR!!!!
  • Options
    I'm not panicking, just bewildered & amazed that the people that own this club obviously don't care a jot what happens. We are just days away from the start of the season and we currently have just one striker on our books who has any league experience. Even in the days of 1 sub teams would have a squad of 15/16 players, of which 3 or 4 would be strikers. Even if Church signs (which I think is a definite) and Obika comes in on loan (which wont be until the loan windows re-opens in Sept) we are still too lightweight up-front. I realise other players will chip in , but you can't count on JJ getting 12 goals again and I don't see many goals in Gower, Pritchard, Hollands etc

The reason why strikers score more goals than the other players is that they are nearer the goal - play with just 1 up, or with Yann playing deep then we will not score too many. Goals win games. simple as.

This is going to be a long, hard season.
  • Options
    Don't forget. There's always Comfort Corner if you are getting worried.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've kept the core squad together, which now have a years championship experience under their belt.
    We've added a couple, and just need to sort out a striker or two.
    The only real loss is Haynes (yep I was sad to see him go).
    Fuller and Obika are still on the horizon.
    The kids are a year older and may contribute during the season.

I for one, think we are in a better position now than 1 year ago.

People should be excited rather than panicking, but that's not the Charlton way.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I'm not panicking, just bewildered & amazed that the people that own this club obviously don't care a jot what happens. We are just days away from the start of the season and we currently have just one striker on our books who has any league experience. Even in the days of 1 sub teams would have a squad of 15/16 players, of which 3 or 4 would be strikers. Even if Church signs (which I think is a definite) and Obika comes in on loan (which wont be until the loan windows re-opens in Sept) we are still too lightweight up-front. I realise other players will chip in , but you can't count on JJ getting 12 goals again and I don't see many goals in Gower, Pritchard, Hollands etc

The reason why strikers score more goals than the other players is that they are nearer the goal - play with just 1 up, or with Yann playing deep then we will not score too many. Goals win games. simple as.

Why do you say they "don't care a jot" ? Just interested.

I would think that if you lob any sort of serious dough into anything then you would care if you are even remotely likely to get it back. Whether you can do anything about it or are hamstrung by circumstances is entirely different.

It's not the same as you or me thinking about gambling our last sovereign on the hope that something will turn up. I have no doubt that these people THINK they can make a turn, but whether they do or not remains to be seen.

I would think that most of us would say "good luck to them"' especially if it means a more secure future. Seriously, is it any worse than the previous scenario?
  • Options
    Lack of striker options and owners that split opinion. You'd think Charlton fans would be used to it by now.

• Options

I'm not panicking, just bewildered & amazed that the people that own this club obviously don't care a jot what happens.

They care, the problem is that they have no money and have loaded the credit card already.

It must be evident now that they are diving around the back of the sofa for cash.
  • Options
    Clearly they care about the financial consequences for them, beyond that I personally doubt it.

What chance of TJ or Slater at AFCB on Saturday? I wouldn't even bet on them being at The Valley on Tuesday night.
  • Options
    Sheff Utd will come good
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    They've probably both had enough. For me there are (and have been for a while) three key questions.

First, are there genuine buyers out there for the Club, i.e. sensible people with the necessary cash? Second, will Jimenez be prepared to sell on terms that a sensible person would accept, i.e. at a suitably low price or on deferred terms? Third, what kind of funding does Jimenez have access to and hence how long can he keep the ship afloat (in the Championship) whilst he finds a buyer and strikes a deal?

What's happened this summer (i.e. an aggressive cutting of the wage bill) might suggest that the answer to question three is "not much". Alternatively, it might mean that Jimenez has decided that winning promotion (the best way to realise value obviously) is simply too difficult (expensive and uncertain) and that it's better to minimise losses whilst taking the time to wait for an attractive opportunity to sell.

Either way, we need a sale as soon as possible. Paradoxically, it may be better if the owners are really out of money, because a sale may happen more quickly, than if they have access to cash and can afford to play hard ball, but of course that situation is more precarious. It's a real mess.

If we can stay in the Championship pending resolution that would be a good outcome.

• Options

Clearly they care about the financial consequences for them, beyond that I personally doubt it.

What chance of TJ or Slater at AFCB on Saturday? I wouldn't even bet on them being at The Valley on Tuesday night.

Our on-field success and their financial success are clearly linked.

What does it matter if they are present at matches are not, will it change the result?
  • Options

Either way, we need a sale as soon as possible. Paradoxically, a sale may happen more quickly if the owners are really out of money (hence willing to be less demanding on price) than if they can afford to play hard ball, but of course that situation is more precarious. It's a real mess.

If we can stay in the Championship pending resolution that would be a good outcome.

Absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Didnt take long for this thread to turn into yet more 'knock the owners'