Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lets follow the unbelievable lead from Pompey fans

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
18,000 for the home game against Oxford yesterday.
10,500 season tickets sold and we all know what has happened at their place over the past 4 or so years.
The loyalty their fans have shown is second to none.
CAFC is not about the board, the team or Chris Powell.
It is about our history our future and you the supporters. This club will never die.
And for those who have posted on here saying £40 million is asking to much for Charlton I would say think again because to me it is priceless.

Comments

• Options
    Like your style.
  • Options
    Absolutely spot on Vincent.
  • Options
    Agree with your sentiments.
  • Options
    seconded, thirded and fourthed.
  • Options
    Great turnout by Oxford down there as well
  • Options
    Yup need to persuade those few thousand who aren't in tune tho
  • Options
    Did we have many fewer season ticket holders in the third division? Did we not get gates that big in the third division?

What about the gates of Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday in recent seasons.

I don't want to knock the thread but they are just a big club in a lower division. They were always going to get big crowds. We need to remember that this is a club that has been in two FA Cup finals in recent times.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They are League 2, pretty damn good if you ask me, perhaps they are pulling in the same direction.

Our current owners have no long term plan, they want to make money and turn a quick buck. They are unconvinced of the value of fan participation, they aren't too bothered about communication.

Why would anyone go that extra mile to put money in their pockets? Our club is just a vessel for speculation. Perhaps if it does all go tits up that may change, but I wouldn't expect a supporters trust to buy the club for anything more than a nominal amount, we would need all we could muster to get the club back on some kind of footing. Hopefully that could be without administration, and the inevitable fight with other interested parties that I would expect.

These are simple facts, not a tirade against anyone.
  • Options
    Well done Pompey
  • Options
    I don't see the correlation with how the club is run, our board and/or it's relationship with our fans.

I guess it helps if the club has benefitted from a summer of publicity and is now taken into ownership via a Supporters' trust, but I don't think our situation has any bearing on their ticket sales, personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How else do you explain pompey? Pure publicity? Too easy.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Also how do you explain the huge rise in interest and crowds on our struggle to return to the valley, just publicity again I guess? Not inspiring struggle by the fans for the fans. I guess we'll agree to disagree on that then.

Brighton, yet another example.
  • Options
    Completely agree with this thread as well but you've got to remember how many London clubs people have to choose from (including the Non-League scene).

Portsmouth on the other hand only really have Bournemouth / Southampton to fight with for supporters (and how many fans supporting Portsmouth have defected over to Southampton and visa versa over recent years... Not many I suspect)
  • Options
    razil said:

Also how do you explain the huge rise in interest and crowds on our struggle to return to the valley, just publicity again I guess? Not inspiring struggle by the fans for the fans. I guess we'll agree to disagree on that then.

I don't remember huge rises until we reached the Premier League. I also suspect that moving back to The Valley was the major factor. What on earth are you suggesting that the increase was attributed to?
    razil said:

How else do you explain pompey? Pure publicity? Too easy.

What are you asking me to explain? They are a big club and they have many fans. I don't see that as, especially, inexplicable.
  • Options
    Lets not follow the example of the Pompey team and lose 4-1 at home to Oxford!!!!
  • Options
    Talking of big clubs in lower divisions, I heard yesterday that Coventry have sold 185 season tickets so far...
  • Options

Talking of big clubs in lower divisions, I heard yesterday that Coventry have sold 185 season tickets so far...

Michael Vaughan tweeted the other day that they'd sold 210 then joked ( I hope) that this was more than Sheffield United
  • Options
    Pompey have always had a big, passionate fan base. I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    Before leaving the Valley 5000, on the road 3.5? Return 8.5 (capacity) then 11.5 (near capacity) all before we reached the prem
  • Options
    Pompeys sales are up 2-3k on the previous year too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we need to hold a rally somewhere, get supporters coming and selling shares there, rzil, since ur the chairman, how many shares have you created
  • Options
  • Options
    Brilliant turn out by Pompey supporters, shame to see the result and especially calling for Whittinghams head towards the end
  • Options

we need to hold a rally somewhere, get supporters coming and selling shares there, rzil, since ur the chairman, how many shares have you created

Jack, I would never suggest ordinary
    Charlton fans forked out to buy our club in the way you suggest particularly while its losing 6m a year, the best we could hope for would be some kind of deal for a quid like the previous owners or to try and take it out of admin, neither of which would be easy, in fact very difficult. But I believe we could do if we had to and enough of us got involved.

I admire your enthusiasm though, would be great if it was so easy. Don't despair this Is even more reason why we need a trust.

We can build a network, get everyone on the same page and living in the real
    Commercial world of football today.
  • Options
    The other alternatives are we try and help the club day to day in a partnership and emulate the Swanseas or indeed post 92 CAFC
  • Options

razil said:

I don't remember huge rises until we reached the Premier League. I also suspect that moving back to The Valley was the major factor. What on earth are you suggesting that the increase was attributed to?
    I was discussing this with some people recently and the average gates at the Valley went from 8,000 to 13,500 before promotion to the Premier League and while capacity was 15,000. This wasn't down to results on the pitch but a lot of promotion work and fans working WITH the club. Trust surveys tell us that 18% of the fanbase first came to the Valley at that time or an additional 3% per season over 6 years.

Clubs get a 50% uplift in gates when they go up due to more away fans, hangers on and people coming more often but how many stick around?

There are many reasons for increasing gates like a new ground, promotion or simply building the fanbase... Leeds have just experienced their biggest gate on opening day for years - up by 10,000 on last season. Just when the new owners drop prices and start working with the supporters trust.

I am not going to spell anything out as there is no plan yet at CAFC but maybe the fans can help make a difference? And maybe they don't have to wait for a car crash?!

• Options
    Perhaps we should go bust ten times in five years to 'achieve' what they have.
  • Options

razil said:

I was discussing this with some people recently and the average gates at the Valley went from 8,000 to 13,500 before promotion to the Premier League and while capacity was 15,000. This wasn't down to results on the pitch but a lot of promotion work and fans working WITH the club. Trust surveys tell us that 18% of the fanbase first came to the Valley at that time or an additional 3% per season over 6 years.

Clubs get a 50% uplift in gates when they go up due to more away fans, hangers on and people coming more often but how many stick around?

There are many reasons for increasing gates like a new ground, promotion or simply building the fanbase... Leeds have just experienced their biggest gate on opening day for years - up by 10,000 on last season. Just when the new owners drop prices and start working with the supporters trust.

I am not going to spell anything out as there is no plan yet at CAFC but maybe the fans can help make a difference? And maybe they don't have to wait for a car crash?!

I think it fair to say that the gates went up from 8,000 to 13,500 because the capacity was 8,337 until the East stand was opened!
  • Options
    I think it's also unrealistic to compare The Valley attendances in 1985 with 1992 as we'd had four seasons in the top flight during those years in exile and the stadium was not even comparable.

I'm not suggesting that the fans can't help, but I don't find the increases we've had or the gates that Portsmouth are currently getting all that strange.

As for Leeds, I have some Leeds fan friends and they were staying away under Bates and more particularly Warnock as they believed his teams played route one football and were dire to watch. Maybe their increase in fans this weekend had little to do with new owners and a new manager and a more to do with reduced prices and a supporters' trust, but that's just not how I (nor the Leeds fans I know) see it.
  • Options

I think it's also unrealistic to compare The Valley attendances in 1985 with 1992 as we'd had four seasons in the top flight during those years in exile and the stadium was not even comparable.

I'm not suggesting that the fans can't help, but I don't find the increases we've had or the gates that Portsmouth are currently getting all that strange.

As for Leeds, I have some Leeds fan friends and they were staying away under Bates and more particularly Warnock as they believed his teams played route one football and were dire to watch. Maybe their increase in fans this weekend had little to do with new owners and a new manager and a more to do with reduced prices and a supporters' trust, but that's just not how I (nor the Leeds fans I know) see it.

KHA I put our support down to very good marketing. Free season ticket if we got back to PL for those buy a season ticket the year we were relegated was a good idea, then the price reductions and all the other kids for quid promotions etc.

Leeds are massive and I agree with your take on their support this season and may be the economy is not as bleak up there as in previous years?